What Would Make You Stop Cheering For The Oilers?

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
I'll admit that I was on the verge of being done for good after MacT's presser following the 14-15 season. Then McDavid happened.

What would make you quit the Oilers for good?

If Chiarelli is the GM after next season regardless if we make the playoffs.

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
If the Oilers left Edmonton.
This.

No matter where in the world I have lived I have always cheered for the Oilers and always will, different time zones can make watching the games a pain though sometimes. Even when the team sucks I still watch, I'm just more likely to miss a game when the team is sucking or is out of the playoff race.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
I'll always watch the Oilers. I stopped being emotionally invested in pro sports 25-30 years ago, once I was old enough to realize it was stupid to get so wound up about something out of my control. Now I just enjoy being a spectator and have fun watching the game played at a high level, and appreciate the efforts and abilities of those far better at playing the game than I ever was. I'm happy when the teams I like do well, but don't get upset when they don't. It's just a fun diversion from the stress and rigors of everyday life.

DelusionOIL

Jul 10, 2008
Morinville
www.ibew424.net
Pretty much if the Oiler's left Edmonton, but even then, it would depend on where they moved. I would probably still follow and cheer for them as long as they didn't move to an area i despise.

Beyond that, there is literally no amount of organizational stupidity that would result in myself turning my back on a team I have cheered for since childhood, and a team that is a part of my family anf friends social fabric.

Am I pissed off? Sure. I stuck to my word and I have not set foot in the new arena (other than the tour before it opened) and I have not spent a single cent on merchandise (other than a toddler jersey for my daughter)... And I wont, until I see some accountability from Katz. I know my sacrifice is meaningless. But if you're fueling the engine that is defunct, then you really have no grounds to stand on in bitching about a solution.

Pay your money, shut your mouth.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
So you admit that you just jumped on the Oilers bandwagon in 2006? Yet the Jets had been gone since 1996. Which team were you bandwagoning from 1996-2006? So excuse me if I don't take lessons on "fandom" from you. Probably a big fan of the Yankees, Duke basketball and Alabama football, too, hey?

Your point is in no way over my head. I am saying your point is irrelevant. Congrats that the Jets developed properly (sarcastic golf clap). Go enjoy the playoffs in Peg City. I am AGREEING with you that Oil management has made (is making) stupid decisions. In no way am I condoning that. But just because I may hate some/many of the decisions they make, I'm not going to stop being a fan. So you can stop preaching to me about all the Oilers failures in management as they are many and are well documented.

Also, why are you saying I'll have no team? The Oil ain't going anywhere, bud.
And I told you, if the Oilers did leave I would just more heavily invest in the Golden Bears.

Wow - you're a miserable person aren't you? What, are you the moral sport police or something? Did the title of the thread go over your head? I'm responding to that. Could care less what you think - related my story. Love the 'bandwagon' thing? Tell me how you 'jump off a bandwagon' when there is NO TEAM. You did get part of it - took me 10 years to finally pick another team and after '06 I stuck by them so what's your point? What 'bandwagon' did I jump off?

Everyone has their own story, their own passions, and their own feelings. I don't give a rats behind what you feel but I'd respect your opinion and wouldn't try to pick a fight or insult you. I will now though since you trolled me and started it all. Yep - miserable little man is what you are. Feel sorry for you actually. But whatever - I"ll cheer for whoever I want to cheer for, and root against whoever I want. And if I like two teams, that's my concern, not yours. If you like one, that's your concern not mine. Not my place to judge you. Get it - twist that comment around. Though I guess if you're 15 or something I'd get it.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Wow - you're a miserable person aren't you? What, are you the moral sport police or something? Did the title of the thread go over your head? I'm responding to that. Could care less what you think - related my story. Love the 'bandwagon' thing? Tell me how you 'jump off a bandwagon' when there is NO TEAM. You did get part of it - took me 10 years to finally pick another team and after '06 I stuck by them so what's your point? What 'bandwagon' did I jump off?

Everyone has their own story, their own passions, and their own feelings. I don't give a rats behind what you feel but I'd respect your opinion and wouldn't try to pick a fight or insult you. I will now though since you trolled me and started it all. Yep - miserable little man is what you are. Feel sorry for you actually. But whatever - I"ll cheer for whoever I want to cheer for, and root against whoever I want. And if I like two teams, that's my concern, not yours. If you like one, that's your concern not mine. Not my place to judge you. Get it - twist that comment around. Though I guess if you're 15 or something I'd get it.
Man, you are worked up about this. Might need to take a breath and step away from the computer.
You checked all the boxes of "angry internet guy, anyways:
-all capital letters....check
-calling me a troll....check
-calling me 15...check

Not sure why you're so upset. I have no problem with you cheering for whoever you like. I told you many times to go enjoy the Jets success. But when you come to the Oilers board and start humble bragging about how well the Jets are built, well, I see no reason for it.

I told you I only cheer for one team and for some reason you keep giving me reasons why I shouldn't cheer for the Oilers. As I said in my last post, fandom is essentially irrational. We are all cheering for pieces of laundry. You have your reasons, I have mine. You hate the direction of the Oilers and will cheer for your "other" team. That's awesome for you. Don't tell me who I should cheer for and why.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Man, you are worked up about this. Might need to take a breath and step away from the computer.
You checked all the boxes of "angry internet guy, anyways:
-all capital letters....check
-calling me a troll....check
-calling me 15...check

Not sure why you're so upset. I have no problem with you cheering for whoever you like. I told you many times to go enjoy the Jets success. But when you come to the Oilers board and start humble bragging about how well the Jets are built, well, I see no reason for it.

I told you I only cheer for one team and for some reason you keep giving me reasons why I shouldn't cheer for the Oilers. As I said in my last post, fandom is essentially irrational. We are all cheering for pieces of laundry. You have your reasons, I have mine. You hate the direction of the Oilers and will cheer for your "other" team. That's awesome for you. Don't tell me who I should cheer for and why.

So we're both misunderstanding each other? I'm not upset. Just making my point. I think we're both really frustrated Oiler fans :(

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Probably dementia

Would you be mistakenly cheering for the Flames in that case? ;)

No wait, that would be delusion. Or disillusion.

I think we're all a little demented by now at least long time Oilers fans that is. Or scarred. I might have fanbased PTSD from watching this team play..
For sure I developed some neurotic nervous tics over the Eakins era..

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Old boy club taking over the franchise:

Gretzky as President
MacTavish as GM
Howson as assistant GM

More rebuilding chasing the 80s isn't going to get us where we need to go, and would lead to McDavid asking out.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Relocation. That is all. I will say I sure care less over the last 10 years than I did the prior. Heavily invested from 1981 to 2007. Invested from 2007 to 2010. Sort of invested 2010 to 2016. Today? Down 2 goals in first 5 minutes, change the channel. Turned down free tickets in 20th row this year.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Old boy club taking over the franchise:

Gretzky as President
MacTavish as GM
Howson as assistant GM

More rebuilding chasing the 80s isn't going to get us where we need to go, and would lead to McDavid asking out.
Man Stauffer was still on about how Howsen acquired so many of the current jackets on the radio the other day.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Would you be mistakenly cheering for the Flames in that case? ;)

No wait, that would be delusion. Or disillusion.

I think we're all a little demented by now at least long time Oilers fans that is. Or scarred. I might have fanbased PTSD from watching this team play..
For sure I developed some neurotic nervous tics over the Eakins era..

I like it but I will die before I cheer for Calgary(spit)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad