What Would Make You Stop Cheering For The Oilers?

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
The team moving.

Granted I would say my investment varies from season to season I still watch the games when I can.

This year I emotionally checked out after that massive losing streak after Christmas. Kept watching the games though.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Chia throws away a high end player for trash again and we miss the playoffs again and he isn't fired. I'll probably stop caring for a bit

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
After 10+ years of garbage, I’ve come to realize if I couldn’t quit then, I’ll probably never be able to. I’d like to think a McDavid trade would push me over the edge but I’m weak.

That said, I haven’t purchased any oilers merchandise save a flag for my car for the playoffs last year, and haven’t been to a game in years. I’ll cheer for life, but financially, they won’t get a buck outta me for a long long time.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Then Replacement, please leave. Because if you aren't a fan, then you're trolling the board.

I was being sarcastic. I'm a lifelong fan. But @Supermassive captured my sentiments perfectly. I remain a fan but not financially invested, obligated etc.

I went through the Gretzky sale. I guess I can take anything. Although if the team trades McD or Draisaitl..

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^I was tipsy after celebrating the Sharks Win over the Ducks and the Preds win over the Av's and the Pens W over the Flyers. It was like a rare moment of NHL playoffs serendipity where every result I wanted occurred.. it reduced my inhibition and made me possibly giddy. Then I saw threads like this..

My post wasn't OT, it was on topic, it was relevant, it was just poetic licence and was stated flippantly, for humor. Which the board has little of these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Hall being traded almost did it for me, then last year happened...

Don't think I'll ever stop cheering for this team. The only thing that a year like this last one will do is help me switch my focus to the Winnipeg Jets' success, until the Oilers show some life again.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I thought it was kind of witty, it was sarcastic, you got that. But I don't see how its confrontational.
I mistyped. I meant that you're confrontational, not that your post was. As for witty, I give it a 3.5 out of 10.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I mistyped. I meant that you're confrontational, not that your post was. As for witty, I give it a 3.5 out of 10.
People confronting me to point out I'm confrontational=special. ;)

Its a slow and long offseason, lets not bump our heads here. The Oilers and Esks make us sad enough..

In the case of the Esks I've been able to completely cut the cord, finally. The ties with the Oilers run deeper.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
People confronting me to point out I'm confrontational=special. ;)

Its a slow and long offseason, lets not bump our heads here. The Oilers and Esks make us sad enough..

In the case of the Esks I've been able to completely cut the cord, finally. The ties with the Oilers run deeper.

I thought it was funny. A funnier reply would have been "I'll stop cheering for the Oilers when.... MacTavish and Lowe are no longer a part of the organization." - thus implying that you're a life long fan and that there is NOTHING that will stop you from cheering for the team.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
true fan never change their colours!

Anyone who has been through the last ten years of this team and is still a fan--we aint going anywhere
I won't change my colours but I'm pretty close to hanging them up in the closet.

This year was super rough. If it wasn't for Vegas in the playoffs I probably wouldn't even watch.

Reactions: BigFuzzyDice

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I won't change my colours but I'm pretty close to hanging them up in the closet.

This year was super rough. If it wasn't for Vegas in the playoffs I probably wouldn't even watch.

Our his and hers Oilers/Esks Jerseys have been pretty lonely in the closet with nothing to do but hang on the racks never seeing the light of day.

But to symbolize how long ago I stopped spending on this org one of the Jerseys is the Ryan Smyth Rig worker patch version uniform with an A on it.

How long ago was that? heh

paid 60bucks for it when he got moved at a trade deadline. Happy to have that one.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Our his and hers Oilers/Esks Jerseys have been pretty lonely in the closet with nothing to do but hang on the racks never seeing the light of day.

But to symbolize how long ago I stopped spending on this org one of the Jerseys is the Ryan Smyth Rig worker patch version uniform with an A on it.

How long ago was that? heh

paid 60bucks for it when he got moved at a trade deadline. Happy to have that one.
I wore my Team North America McDavid jersey more times than my other Oilers jerseys (I have about 3) combined this year.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I own three Oilers jerseys. I used to feel pride wearing them but now they only come out for the one of two games a season when I go to a game. I wore a different jersey for the Humboldt jersey day. It makes me sad but I'm now embarrassed to wear it.

My greatest fear Is that they trade Nuge for a significant roster downgrade. If that happens the wee bit of "care" I have will disappear. It's virtually gone now. I watched one TV game this season. I used to be a huge fan who never missed and now this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad