What would kessels sat line read on the leafs this year

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Assuming he stayed how would he have done ? I think in Pittsburgh he can't put up points because he is third in line and can't play his "usual" game. Also he's never really had a disappointing season while with the leafs

Also we may end the season with no 50 point player...

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
About the same what he has now in Pit. Babcock wouldn't allow him to free wheel out there like the other coaches did. He had a chance to play with Crosby and Malkin, it's not like he played on the 3rd line all season. Our fan base overrated him big time.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Assuming he stayed how would he have done ? I think in Pittsburgh he can't put up points because he is third in line and can't play his "usual" game. Also he's never really had a disappointing season while with the leafs

Also we may end the season with no 50 point player...

# hashtag kessel is exactly what we thought he was , a nothing player if he can't sacrifice a well rounded game to make "HIS" game look good

#hashtag all show and no go

#hashtag irrelevant blip in NHL history

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Phil scored 17 goals in all of 2015 in 81 games. His offensive play is not very good for the last while.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Yeah I didn't think he'd light it up either was just wondering what other people thought. Thankfully leafs traded him at the right time

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
#hashtag youngest superstar booted from the nhl

#hashtag the best player the Americans' could come up with in the 2014 Olympics, yawn

#hashtag one of the worst trades in leafs history

#hashtag can't believe folks backed this loser,bahahaha

#hashtag told ya so

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In the end I say who cares what Kessel's stats would be despite having Mike Babcock as his head coach. He was traded for a reason and as far as I'm concerned talking about him now is a waste of time.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
His usage likely would have been tightly controlled by Babcock - like Bozak has been this year.

Nothing but offensive zone starts 5v5 and power play time, with overall reduced Icetime.

I doubt Kessel the player would do anything differently, but he would have been used better.

Happy the trade happened though.

FazeLeaf*

I think what Trotz did to Ovi couldve happened with Babs and Kessel. He turned JVR into a guy who helps on defence I think he could have done the same with Kessel.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
On this Leafs team? Hmm. Somewhere between useless speculation and taking pot shots at a player who doesn't play for us anymore.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Who cares? He is not a Leaf and most are happy about this, no point in drudging up bad memories.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I think what Trotz did to Ovi couldve happened with Babs and Kessel. He turned JVR into a guy who helps on defence I think he could have done the same with Kessel.

I really doubt anyone can make kessel play d. It's just not in his dna legit one of the most embarrassing players to watch defensively and you can even tell he avoid defence on purpose in fear of contact

horner

May 22, 2007
All that I want from Kessel is to ensure that we get our 1st from Pitt.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
he would have been the go to here still so his number would have been decent.

82GP 31G 35A 66Pts -21
Hi assists would be higher but JVR and Bozak have been hurt.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
On this Leafs team? Hmm. Somewhere between useless speculation and taking pot shots at a player who doesn't play for us anymore.

Sounds about right.

One year does not a career make, it is statistically unlikely he does not rebound to some degree. It is surprising he did not fit better in Pittsburgh but it is what it is.

Turn the page and move on, it's not like he is a bad person who deserves to be crapped on.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"Just wait until Leafs gets a real centre and then Kessel will score 50 easily" or "What do you expect he has to play with Bozak"

If Kessel is struggling to match his 25 goals as a Leaf last year while now playing with Sid and Geno, he would have even less goals and points now if he were still a Leaf.

We are so fortunate that we found someone to take him and that contract off our hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad