What would it take (to get the top overall pick)?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
While that trade was certainly huge for them, Forsberg was really the only piece of it that had a major impact on their Cup wins. They still don't win the cup without Sakic. They still might not win the cup without the Roy trade.

Roy is the biggest reason the Avs won two cups. People link the Roy acquisition to Lindros because Thibault was used to acquire him from Montreal. There were still a ton of things outside of that trade that had to happen for them to become a winner.

Let's also not forget that the 96 final may have been the most lopsided finals in the modern history of the league. Florida was carried by Vanbiesbrouck for the first three rounds. By the time they got to the finals, he was gassed and they were quickly swept, with only game four even being close. The Avs likely don't win that first cup if they go up against the Pens who were absolutely loaded with a prime-aged and healthy Mario, Francis, Jagr, Nedved, etc.

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
Yeah forget if we would do the deal, no GM that gets the 1st pick is making that deal.

It's G or Voracek+ to even stay on the phone.

I've never seen him play, is he a Crosby type talent? If so, don't you do what you have to to try and get him? So forget packages with Couts/Simmonds right? To get them to stay on the phone you'd have to offer G and Morin. So what is deal, is he untouchable or is he only slightly better than Marner and not worth giving up a lot to move up 5 spots?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I've never seen him play, is he a Crosby type talent? If so, don't you do what you have to to try and get him? So forget packages with Couts/Simmonds right? To get them to stay on the phone you'd have to offer G and Morin. So what is deal, is he untouchable or is he only slightly better than Marner and not worth giving up a lot to move up 5 spots?
He's the real deal. To get the pick you would have to offer the moon and I don't see it happening.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
No chance I offer Giroux for a player we hope is Giroux in the following years. I understand the hype and potential but it doesn't make sense to do that deal. Just like the deal where people said Giroux for Weber! It's just not how a NHL team is built. Ekblad is having a damn good year and is looking great right now and he wasn't going to cost anywhere near that. I know the situations are different but I don't see a team asking for Giroux. I see the Flyers asking for that + coming back if they dealt him.

We would want Giroux-McDavid-Couts down the middle

Not McDavid-Couts-Laughton

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
No chance I offer Giroux for a player we hope is Giroux in the following years. I understand the hype and potential but it doesn't make sense to do that deal. Just like the deal where people said Giroux for Weber! It's just not how a NHL team is built. Ekblad is having a damn good year and is looking great right now and he wasn't going to cost anywhere near that. I know the situations are different but I don't see a team asking for Giroux. I see the Flyers asking for that + coming back if they dealt him.

We would want Giroux-McDavid-Couts down the middle

Not McDavid-Couts-Laughton
What do you think they're going to ask for? He's the best prospect in a decade.

I never said the Flyers would or should trade Giroux, but that's the value you are looking at. They wouldn't move the pick for futures.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Giroux is already one of the top 3 players in the NHL and is 26 years old.

You don't trade him for a guy who if everything pans out, will be one of the top 3 players in the world. You certainly don't throw a potential top pairing defensemen in there with him just for ***** and giggles.

Pretty simple concept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad