what would it take for Seattle to select Okposo

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
We’re going to have a lot of players we can’t protect, especially if we go the 4-4-1 route which seems likely.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If the draft is in 2020, I remember something about Mittelstadt being safe, because that came up when he signed his ELC early.

Eichel Skinnner Thompson Reinhart

Dahlin Ristolainen

Ullmark

7-3-1 or 4-4-1, which way we'll go depends on FA's we sign, and how important it'll be to keep guys like McCabe and Guhle.

I'd happily pay a premium to ensure Okposo is the guy that's taken.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
isn't it 8-3-1 ?

7-3-1 or 4-4-1

I don't see why Buffalo would go 4-4-1 when they still won't have 4 draft eligible D-man that are worth protecting. Dahlin won't be eligible, so all I count are Ristolainen, McCabe, and Pilut if he's going to be eligible (not sure about him). Bogosian, Scandella, and anyone else can be exposed, no problem.

As for Okposo, Botterill won't be able to send him off anywhere. Only hope is a compliance buy-out via the next CBA.

Semi-off topic, but Buffalo won't have any problems protecting important players in the expansion draft. Even marginal players like Bogosian, Scandella, and Sheary are pending UFAs that summer, making them pointless targets for Seattle.

Last edited:

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Players in Okposo’s salary range with similar production:
Turris, Saad, Stepan, Kovalchuk, Marleau, Jordan Staal, Eberle, Ehlers, Oshie, Zajac, Steen, Hertl, Pominville, Zucker, Foligno, Neidereiter, Little, Backlund,

Other expensive players providing similar or less offence for the buck:
Toews, Kopitar, Perry, Voracek, Spezza, Krejci, Ryan, Evander Kane, Van Reimsdyk, Kesler, Erickson, Backes, Lucic, Callahan, Neal, Ladd, Schwartz, Carter.

I get the concern down the road, but right now is Okposo really the burden you say he is?

Reactions: sabrebuild

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Turris, Saad, Stepan, Kovalchuk, Marleau, Jordan Staal, Eberle, Ehlers, Oshie, Zajac, Steen, Hertl, Pominville, Zucker, Foligno, Neidereiter, Little, Backlund,

Toews, Kopitar, Perry, Voracek, Spezza, Krejci, Ryan, Evander Kane, Van Reimsdyk, Kesler, Erickson, Backes, Lucic, Callahan, Neal, Ladd, Schwartz, Carter.

I get the concern down the road, but right now is Okposo really the burden you say he is?

This year? Not at all. But summer of 2019,2020 and 2021 when our 3 best players not signed long term in Skinner, Reinhart and Dahlin are up for new deals? Yeah. 4 more years at 6 mil is not looking good. If he has already regressed from a 60 point player (regardless of JT making him look better then he was) to a 40 point player the 2nd year in and is still at that 40 point type play in year 3 bodes bad for the future. Especially since he turns 31 this season, was never better then mediocre to average at skating and will only get slower and worse.

I'd give up a B prospect + 2 2nds or possibly Guhle to get him off the roster. Especially since I am hoping we can keep Sheary here long term. He is exactly the type of depth goal scorer you need to succeed. He will get you ~20g/.25gpg playing limited minutes in the middle 6. He is by no means a star but losing someone like Sheary this time around instead of a plug like Carrier would sting.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Okposo contact is a must to rid ourselves of with the players waiting for long term deals and players we may want to bring in during the fa periods.
Need him traded or shipped away to Seattle.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
7-3-1 or 4-4-1

I don't see why Buffalo would go 4-4-1 when they still won't have 4 draft eligible D-man that are worth protecting. Dahlin won't be eligible, so all I count are Ristolainen, McCabe, and Pilut if he's going to be eligible (not sure about him). Bogosian, Scandella, and anyone else can be exposed, no problem.

As for Okposo, Botterill won't be able to send him off anywhere. Only hope is a compliance buy-out via the next CBA.

Semi-off topic, but Buffalo won't have any problems protecting important players in the expansion draft. Even marginal players like Bogosian, Scandella, and Sheary are pending UFAs that summer, making them pointless targets for Seattle.
Wouldn’t Dahlin be eligible due to his pro-seasons in Sweden? That’s how I was counting but I could be wrong.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
7-3-1 or 4-4-1

For 2020...Risto Guhle and McCabe would be protected. Dahlin would be exempt.

I am unsure if Mitts is exempt in 2020

If the draft is 2021 thrn Risto, dahlin, Pilut, Guhle, Borgen, McCabe all woukd need protection.

With forwards Olofsson , nylander, Asplund, Smith, Thompson, Eichel, Reinhart, Mitts, Skinner all need protection.

To get KO taken would cost a 1st or a real good prospect that was exempt who would be in buffalos 3-5 prospect rankings.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Wouldn’t Dahlin be eligible due to his pro-seasons in Sweden? That’s how I was counting but I could be wrong.

Time in Sweden do not count.

For 2020 Olofsson is exempt with just 2 pro seasons here. Same with players signed from college if they have 2 years or less.

Nylander is exempt because those were sliding years and he was 18 and 19 on Jan 1. Pkayers pkaying innthe AHL who turn 20 before Jan 1 even though contract slides they won’t be exempt. This was the situation with Carrier.

I am not certain if Mitts is exempt in 2020.

Reactions: Reddawg

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The problem has 2 components...

1. His contract being on the books in summer 2921 when Dahlin us due hurst buffalo getting another player via trade or UFA signing from this summer or next summer.

2. Before his contract ends buffalo has a bunch of young pkayers to sign long term. His space could make thus hard.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I would think we could convince Seattle to take Okposo. He's not a bad player for a start-up expansion team. A true heart-and-soul guy with leadership who can play in all situations. He just doesn't put up a ton of points for his salary. I'm sure we'd have to toss them a sweetener like a 2nd or 3rd and a B prospect. Could be a win-win.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Vegas took a first and a second for Clarkson. And that’s for a player who does nothing.

I assume that’s be close to the cost.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I'd give up a first for them to take Okposo, probably wouldn't be enough though. Maybe something can be arranged to help them fill out their roster with extra B prospects. Them taking Okposo for those final years would be ideal though.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I'd give up a first for them to take Okposo, probably wouldn't be enough though. Maybe something can be arranged to help them fill out their roster with extra B prospects. Them taking Okposo for those final years would be ideal though.
I don’t think I’d give up a first.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I don’t think I’d give up a first.

Hopefully by then that first is a mid to late rounder. I'd consider it not just trading a first to lose Okposo's contract, but also to keep one of the other players we couldnt protect. I'd rather trade some prospect depth, but if it came down to it that wouldn't be too bad a price to save $6million in cap for a player who has already lost a step and will likely be a 7 minute a night player in those final years. Unfortunately like I said it likely isnt enough. Everyone will be trying to move those aging vets with bad contracts, it's likely the price is a first and a second or another good prospect.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Vegas took a first and a second for Clarkson. And that’s for a player who does nothing.

I assume that’s be close to the cost.
That also included Vegas taking William Karlsson instead of Josh Anderson and Joonas Korpisalo. That worked out pretty well for Vegas, lol!

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
It would take Seattle hiring a complete idiot for GM. Short of that, Sabres will have Okposo for the remainder of his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad