What would I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I've been pretty critical of the Canes the past few years, and honestly, I think the team's lack of success shows that the criticism is well-justified. But the one thing that keeps happening over and over is that everyone is defending JR by saying that he did the best he could, and you just can't *force* things to happen. Then the next question becomes, "what would you have done differently?"

And when you take each decision from the point it's made, it's easy to see that maybe JR didn't have a whole lot of options. But generally speaking, the reason he doesn't have a whole lot of options is because of the crappy decisions he's made leading up to the latest decision. In other words, he's tied his own hands.

So, with that in mind, this is what I would do *from right now*. I can't go back and un-do the draft, or the Jordan Staal trade, or the long-term contracts with no-movement clauses handed out to Tuomo Ruutu, Tim Gleason and Jeff Skinner, or the $1 million, one-way contract Jeremy Welsh gets this year. But I also can't be responsible for the dumb-a$$ stuff JR is going to do next.

I'd set two goals. The first goal would be to establish an identity on the ice, and make all moves going forward according to that identity. The identity would be developed by a) applying "Moneyball" principles to hockey and seeing what types of players are undervalued and b) talking with the coach.

The second goal would be off the ice, where I'd try to create some cap space to gain some flexibility.

I'll start off with that second goal. I'd use a compliance buyout on Tuomo Ruutu. I don't care if he'd get $5 million on the open market. He's not worth $5 million to us. He's killed us since he's been here with his inability to stay healthy. And let's be honest, he hasn't been a $5 million player when he has been in the lineup. Not that I even remember what that's like. But most importantly, we just can't have a high-risk player like Ruutu on a team with a budget like ours. Just think of all the ways we could spend $5 million a year.

But I can't, because JR gave him a no-movement clause, which means he can't be waived and thus, can't be bought out.

See? This is why "what would you do" isn't a valid question. I can't do 90 percent of what I'd do because the other idiot did something dumb.

Yup, the Canes are in a jam right now. They can't do what a losing, small market club should do. They can't "go young and cheap" because they've locked up huge chunks of money on veterans. They can't do much of anything aside from hope for the best. And this is the single biggest reason JR should be relieved of his duties. He's done exactly what you can't do in a non-traditional, small market. *HE* made this mess, it didn't happen to him. The Canes are in this mess because of JR.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Ruutu's NMC doesn't prevent him from being bought out, just from being played on waivers prior to a buyout. Lecavalier and Briere both had NMCs

See? This is why the game of what would I do totally goes off the rails when facts get brought into the picture.

I still find it incredible people are complaining about Carolina not having the stones to go all in this offseason when last offseason was basically the peak point in the exhibition of our stones in picking up Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin.

But for some, not becoming instant Stanley Cup favorites ruined the entire thing. I mean, we all know it's just as easy as we think and the deals are out there to be made if we just look hard enough. Because, you know, we have access to that kind of information.

Ryan Murphy and a 2nd round pick could net us basically anyone in the NHL. Why u no do this?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
On a side note, I feel like the contract that Ryane Clowe gets will be a big indicator of market value for what Tuomo Ruutu *should* be paid. We will find out tomorrow, more than likely, how much exactly we've sunk into Ruutu comparatively. Aside from Clowe being generally more healthy, the numbers and contribution line up pretty well with each other.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As mentioned, a compliance buyout can be done no matter what clause. Either way though, you said what you would do, not just what you want to do. Let's say you can't do that regardless because of clause, financial limitation, whatever. What would you do? We have other big salary players that can be traded to restructure the team and salary. If you are going to ignore past decisions in trying to fix things, actually ignore them and come up with a plan. If you just wanted to complain about past mistakes instead, carry on.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
See? This is why the game of what would I do totally goes off the rails when facts get brought into the picture.

I didn't know that. Makes it even more ridiculous that he wasn't bought out.

I still find it incredible people are complaining about Carolina not having the stones to go all in this offseason when last offseason was basically the peak point in the exhibition of our stones in picking up Jordan Staal and Alexander Semin.

I'm not complaining about free agency. I'm glad JR got Semin. I'm complaining because he doesn't have a plan. He just looks on a deal-by-deal basis and doesn't have a blueprint (like New Jersey and Detroit). We build our team in a very haphazard fashion, hoping that the pieces fit, instead of bringing in pieces that fit our plan. That's my problem. Has nothing to do with *when* JR makes his moves.

I wouldn't buy out Ruutu in order to spend money in free agency. I'd do it because we *can*. We had a chance to get out from under that ridiculous contract and we didn't do it. That's my problem. I'd have liked to be done with that deal just to have some flexibility going forward. Nowhere did I say I'd blow this money *today*.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So you want JR to have a plan or a blueprint, but also want him to buyout Ruutu just because...with no plan on how to spend that saved capspace.

Makes sense. :dunno:

You know what else makes sense? Not needlessly buying out a Top 6 forward without some idea of who's going to fill the hole in the lineup.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
On a side note, I feel like the contract that Ryane Clowe gets will be a big indicator of market value for what Tuomo Ruutu *should* be paid. We will find out tomorrow, more than likely, how much exactly we've sunk into Ruutu comparatively. Aside from Clowe being generally more healthy, the numbers and contribution line up pretty well with each other.

And look at that.... Ryane Clowe gets 5 years at $4.85 million per with the Devils. Perhaps Ruutu isn't as overpaid and useless as we thought?

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
So you want JR to have a plan or a blueprint, but also want him to buyout Ruutu just because...with no plan on how to spend that saved capspace.

Makes sense. :dunno:

You know what else makes sense? Not needlessly buying out a Top 6 forward without some idea of who's going to fill the hole in the lineup.

Would you rather be up against the cap when a player who fits your needs comes available? Or would you rather have some cap space and be able to move quickly? Yeah, up against the cap makes the excuses more handy. Let's go with that.

And look at that.... Ryane Clowe gets 5 years at $4.85 million per with the Devils. Perhaps Ruutu isn't as overpaid and useless as we thought?

We know how useless he is. He DOESN'T FREAKIN PLAY. He's got two bad hips, two bad shoulders and one bad knee. Exactly what you want out of a power forward, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If Ruutu was having surgery on the other hip this offseason, they wouldn't be able to buy him out if they wanted to, right?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
We know how useless he is. He DOESN'T FREAKIN PLAY. He's got two bad hips, two bad shoulders and one bad knee. Exactly what you want out of a power forward, right?

For one, Ryane Clowe suffered three concussions this season. The health risk isn't limited to Ruutu when you play the style of game that these two play. Secondly, Ruutu has missed 41 games out of a possible 212 games the last three seasons. Better than 80% of the total games that Carolina played. The "always injured" narrative has no basis in reality.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Would you rather be up against the cap when a player who fits your needs comes available? Or would you rather have some cap space and be able to move quickly? Yeah, up against the cap makes the excuses more handy. Let's go with that.

You're right. Having Chad LaRose/Pat Dwyer in the Top 6 does sound better than having Ruutu there.

At least, until the trade deadline, where we'll use that extra cap space to fill an obvious hole in the Top 6.

I'm not sure if you recognize the irony: Your plan is uncanningly JR-like.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'd just be silent if I were you...good day for the Canes.

Not a good day. A great day! We shored up seventh d-man and backup goalie. Just fantastic stuff.

You guys continue to enjoy non-playoff hockey. I'm bored with it. The biggest news this offseason -- after a season that saw us hovering closer to a Top 3 pick than the playoffs -- is that we made our home jerseys almost unbearable to look at.

Plan the parade.

Seriously, I'll stop. I left the site for a few months and I'll do it again. But I simply don't understand how otherwise bright people like yourselves can be completely blind to the ineptitude of this team's management.

Please, continue to enjoy a team in the top 10 in salary floundering below the cutline for six months, and continue to give a pass to the guys who put said team together. You deserve whatever you get from here.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
So do you think if Ward, Faulk, Pitkanen, and Skinner get only mild injuries last year, we make the playoffs? I do.

Last year I personally chalk up to injuries and lack of depth. We've addressed depth. Hopefully, the injuries are a little less severe next year.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Seriously, I'll stop. I left the site for a few months and I'll do it again.
Good, probably for the best. You seem to do enjoy nothing about this franchise so why get yourself so worked up about it?

You act like this board is full of JR apologists when it's pretty much the exact opposite. Most, if not all, posters acknowledge that JR could do a better job but we won't go on and on about it every single post like you seem to do. Repeating yourself over and over again isn't going to change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad