What would happen if you got rid of offsides?

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Every game would be the 2012 UCL final, a game in which there was only one offside in 90 minutes because Chelsea sat so deep

In a world without offsides, Vardy would never score again. Pace-driven forwards whose games are based on getting in behind would struggle because of the incredibly deep defensive lines.

He's got a cannon from outside the box though...so I think he'd get more run up time...guys like Vardy find ways to score

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It shouldn't change the game, except there is a game very similar to football that has done this. Have you watched futsal? One forward would be parked somewhat close to the goalkeeper at all times. That one thing, as unimportant as it may seem, would change the entire game. A defender would be tasked with marking that forward and it would completely change how these formations work.

Futsal is fun, but I don't like what changing this rule would do to goalscoring.
Different sized fields. It’s a lot easier to have time to find a shorter pass than an accurate long ball. I think it would actually lead to more pressing to take away the time to hit a long ball. But it’s not like most strikers really drop in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->