What would happen if you got rid of offsides?

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I'd imagine it'd be likelier to create a more defensive game than we have now, with increased emphasis on deeper defence, physical speed, stamina, and unsubtle counter attacks, and a resultant reduction in skill levels.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
lmao Higuain would never see the half line...nor would:
Neymar
Benzema
any Defender
Aguero
Vardy
Salah
and all of those pure finisher type strikers

Midfielders would die of heart attacks every game having to make up for the non existent pressure from strikers that used to track back
Defenders would move about...7km a game

thats just off the top of my head lol

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I'd like to see the rule changed to mirror throw-ins:
-no offsides on dead balls/restarts, only through open play

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'd like to see the rule changed to mirror throw-ins:
-no offsides on dead balls/restarts, only through open play

I was actually thinking the other day that an interesting rule change would be that you could “tag up” at any point before receiving the ball.

So basically you’re only offside if you remain ahead of the last defender for the entire time from when the ball is initially played until you touch it.

Something like a set piece where you stand 5 yards offside and then let people run past you would suddenly be legal.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Difficult to predict, but my guess is that anyone that can kick it long would be valuable as defenders. Leave two large player up front.

It would completely ruin the current game. Difficult to say if the new game would be more or less entertaining than the one we got today. Probably less as football is probably the most successful sport humans have ever created.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think the game would change less than we think.

It shouldn't change the game, except there is a game very similar to football that has done this. Have you watched futsal? One forward would be parked somewhat close to the goalkeeper at all times. That one thing, as unimportant as it may seem, would change the entire game. A defender would be tasked with marking that forward and it would completely change how these formations work.

Futsal is fun, but I don't like what changing this rule would do to goalscoring.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Every game would be the 2012 UCL final, a game in which there was only one offside in 90 minutes because Chelsea sat so deep

lmao Higuain would never see the half line...nor would:
Neymar
Benzema
any Defender
Aguero
Vardy
Salah
and all of those pure finisher type strikers

Midfielders would die of heart attacks every game having to make up for the non existent pressure from strikers that used to track back
Defenders would move about...7km a game

thats just off the top of my head lol

In a world without offsides, Vardy would never score again. Pace-driven forwards whose games are based on getting in behind would struggle because of the incredibly deep defensive lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->