What would happen if there is no OHL season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It doesn't look like there is going to be any form of a OHL season as the ice is coming out of the Leon centre.

Ice can always go back in but I am starting to think the same. With the General Lockdown in place in Ontario until at least Feb 10, it is going to be tough.

Even after the General Lockdown is lifted, many zones will probably remain RED which will keep arenas closed.

I truly think they need to have a regular season started by the first weekend in March if they want to get in around 24 games plus 3 playoff rounds. At this stage, I don’t think that is very likely.

It is doable if the majority of the non-GTA health zones are Orange or better when the lockdown is lifted on February 10. I am not confident that will be the case though.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I don't see there being major changes to the roster rules or contraction. If anything you will see a temporary revenue sharing program to keep the teams hardest hit afloat.

Good point, the OHL won't make changes in any major way. As to your point of revenue sharing they already have revenue sharing in place the league governors would just have to split up the profits like they do for the Memorial Cup when the league gets the tournament anyway.

The league would just have to modify that temporarily for a season or two until teams started to break even again. Now how the league will move forward with number of games and safety protocols that will be something that will be on the table for discussion until we see any notice from the league.

I still believe that the OHL is looking very closely at how the NHL is conducting itself ever since the NHL came back the hurdles they are facing as well as the possible scenarios that the OHL can use when the OHL comes back.

As to roster changes I believe that the OHL will use a similar option to the NHL taxi squad option where the number of limited game cards will see games increase from 10 games to TBD number of games.

The downside behind doing something like that is that you could have an additional 10 or so players sitting on their hands every week not playing which could create problems in dressing rooms where some weeks you would have the same 5-10 guys scratched for games until your team needs them.

So there's a lot more to it then I believe you're pointing out, temporary revenue sharing is just one issue in a whole Xmas list of issues the league has to prepare for.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Good point, the OHL won't make changes in any major way. As to your point of revenue sharing they already have revenue sharing in place the league governors would just have to split up the profits like they do for the Memorial Cup when the league gets the tournament anyway.

The league would just have to modify that temporarily for a season or two until teams started to break even again. Now how the league will move forward with number of games and safety protocols that will be something that will be on the table for discussion until we see any notice from the league.

I still believe that the OHL is looking very closely at how the NHL is conducting itself ever since the NHL came back the hurdles they are facing as well as the possible scenarios that the OHL can use when the OHL comes back.

As to roster changes I believe that the OHL will use a similar option to the NHL taxi squad option where the number of limited game cards will see games increase from 10 games to TBD number of games.

The downside behind doing something like that is that you could have an additional 10 or so players sitting on their hands every week not playing which could create problems in dressing rooms where some weeks you would have the same 5-10 guys scratched for games until your team needs them.

So there's a lot more to it then I believe you're pointing out, temporary revenue sharing is just one issue in a whole Xmas list of issues the league has to prepare for.

The OHL won't be back this season... when they do come back there won't be a need for a taxi squad as all lower leagues will be back as well

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The OHL won't be back this season... when they do come back there won't be a need for a taxi squad as all lower leagues will be back as well

I think this is most likely.

Even if they did return this season, I couldn’t see a taxi squad working. Most teams carry 23 players. If they do come back this season, they will only have a small number of games and then playoffs. Most teams don’t really use their 4th line much anyway. I can see teams dress 16 skaters if they are unfortunate enough to have 5 guys out of the lineup. If the injuries seem long term, they can bring up a player and quarantine for 14 days and add to the roster.

That said, I think Otto is right. The likelihood of a season at this point is probably a little far fetched.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Sudburydinnerjacket made a good recommendation in the 67’s thread. “Why not just play 24-30 games with no playoff and no Memorial Cup and get development games in for all teams?”

That got me to thinking.

The WHL has stated they are going to have a 24 game season no matter what. The assumption is it would be followed by a playoff and ultimately a Memorial Cup starting June 17th. To do that, I suggested the league would need to start the first week of March.

BUT

What if the OHL were to commit to 34 games (half season) for all teams for development purposes?

Let’s say, for argument sake, the league started March 15. They play a 7 week 20 game divisional schedule. The top two teams from each division go to the playoffs. Those 8 teams ultimately compete for the OHL Championship and Memorial Cup.

Round one - 5 game series
Round two - 5 game series
Championship Round - 7 game series

The remaining teams continue an extended regular season schedule. As teams get knocked out of the playoffs, they also continue to play games for development purposes.

This would be a way to get 34 games in for every team in some way that helps with development.

If they start first week of April, they play less games but they get 3 games per week for 10 weeks as a bare minimum.

It would require some schedule juggling of some kind and they would need to be somewhat nimble.

All teams would play through the beginning of June.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As reported on Hockey Night in Canada tonight, things under consideration:

A tournament or series of games among draft eligible players

Moving the draft to January

Holding 2 drafts in June ( an '02 and an '03)

Which draft is in January?

I assume the two drafts in June would be in June 2022?

Or is this two different options under consideration?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
A season might be forced upon.
Minimum games.
Just so they can host the Memorial Cup still.
Not thinking of player safety though.
All about money!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think moving it to January, at least, would be a bad idea. I'd imagine most leagues will be back by Sept so you'll have everyone on a relatively equal footing.

That said, the idea of two drafts in June 2022 is intriguing as well.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The NHL is considering moving their entry draft to January 2022 or having 2 drafts in June 2022

Yeah. Just saw the video. Interesting.

I am not sure about the spring tourney. I have a hard time believing the scouts will see much more than what they already know. That would have to be one seriously long tourney!

The one that seems to make the most sense is the double up in June 2022. At least scouts get a full season to look at the eligible but that doubles up the work. I would think teams would bulk up their scouting team to get the proper coverage.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You could shorten the tournament by making them three separate ones - W, O, and Q. Each league has two teams of draft-eligible players; best of five or seven series over a week or two.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You could shorten the tournament by making them three separate ones - W, O, and Q. Each league has two teams of draft-eligible players; best of five or seven series over a week or two.

All about money!!!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
All about money!!!
You keep harping about having a season is "all about the money". I disagree. First of all , unless there is something I don't know, the league will not be making money on a restart with no or minimal crowds. So there goes that argument. I understand your concern for player safety however. But like all of society right now we have difficult decisions to make in terms of short term goals ( limiting illness/deaths etc) versus medium to long term effects on our society. I don't want to get in a broader discussion of economics, mental health effects etc... So let's consider the impact on OHL players. These are kids that are giving their all to hockey in order to possibly make the NHL or playing pro somewhere or getting a university education post ohl. Now they are at risk of losing a full year of play and development. At 16/17/18 this could be the difference between a career in hockey...(their dream) or not as these are crucial years. As an example would Jack Quinn be where he is if last season was canceled???. So I see the OHL trying to have a season as a way to help these kids and let's face it the risk to a bunch of super fit/ healthy 16/20 y.o. would be minimal. Choices have to be made in this dreadful situation and in my view having some type of a season is the right choice for the players and its NOT about the money

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You keep harping about having a season is "all about the money". I disagree. First of all , unless there is something I don't know, the league will not be making money on a restart with no or minimal crowds. So there goes that argument. I understand your concern for player safety however. But like all of society right now we have difficult decisions to make in terms of short term goals ( limiting illness/deaths etc) versus medium to long term effects on our society. I don't want to get in a broader discussion of economics, mental health effects etc... So let's consider the impact on OHL players. These are kids that are giving their all to hockey in order to possibly make the NHL or playing pro somewhere or getting a university education post ohl. Now they are at risk of losing a full year of play and development. At 16/17/18 this could be the difference between a career in hockey...(their dream) or not as these are crucial years. As an example would Jack Quinn be where he is if last season was canceled???. So I see the OHL trying to have a season as a way to help these kids and let's face it the risk to a bunch of super fit/ healthy 16/20 y.o. would be minimal. Choices have to be made in this dreadful situation and in my view having some type of a season is the right choice for the players and its NOT about the money

I disagree.
Nothing more than money!

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I disagree.
Nothing more than money!

You’d have to define that further.

IMO, the short term loss would be lessened dramatically by cancelling the season. There would be zero fans until at least May based on how the numbers lessened as the weather changed last year. That pretty much knocks out any serious revenue potential.

So, short term, it would cost millions of dollars to start a season.

That would be balanced against potential long term losses by not playing. Things like winning back fans, rebranding and potential franchise values being negatively impacted all have an impact.

I am sure there are a ton of people smarter than me that could do that calculation. However, I am not sure the financial benefit of playing a season to lessen long term financial losses while teams losing seven figures each this year with no revenue and a bunch of expenses would be classified as a money grab.

Heck, over half the league struggles to break even financially in a normal season, let alone playing with no fans and higher expenses with all the added regulations they’d have to deal with.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You’d have to define that further.

IMO, the short term loss would be lessened dramatically by cancelling the season. There would be zero fans until at least May based on how the numbers lessened as the weather changed last year. That pretty much knocks out any serious revenue potential.

So, short term, it would cost millions of dollars to start a season.

That would be balanced against potential long term losses by not playing. Things like winning back fans, rebranding and potential franchise values being negatively impacted all have an impact.

I am sure there are a ton of people smarter than me that could do that calculation. However, I am not sure the financial benefit of playing a season to lessen long term financial losses while teams losing seven figures each this year with no revenue and a bunch of expenses would be classified as a money grab.

Heck, over half the league struggles to break even financially in a normal season, let alone playing with no fans and higher expenses with all the added regulations they’d have to deal with.

Im sure Windsor is 1 of the teams that struggles mightily every year to scrape to break even. Though i doubt they have in a long while. Not come even close to breaking even. Bad management.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If the NHL is going to postpone the draft until December or beyond, there's no real reason to start anything up now. The OHL should return in September and players will have a few months to showcase their stuff for scouts. Doing any kind of Draft hub this Spring will only add to expenses.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Im sure Windsor is 1 of the teams that struggles mightily every year to scrape to break even. Though i doubt they have in a long while. Not come even close to breaking even. Bad management.

Yeah. I’m not sure.

I know they did an analysis about ten years ago that said GTA/central teams that have less overnight trips need 2500 average attendance at full ticket price to break even.

I don’t now how true that is now. I’m sure expenses have outgrown increased ticket prices.

Teams on the outer edges would probably need more like 3000 average attendance based on that report about 10 years ago.

It would be good if someone had access to the newer information regarding that. Not sure how public that is either. Probably not very.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the NHL is going to postpone the draft until December or beyond, there's no real reason to start anything up now. The OHL should return in September and players will have a few months to showcase their stuff for scouts. Doing any kind of Draft hub this Spring will only add to expenses.

I don’t think they’d start a season for prospect viewing. I think it is for overall development of the league players as a whole.

I’m just not sure if/when they do get an allowance for fans that it would make any significant difference. I think the teams would be in the same “re-branding” situation next season to bring fans back as they would even if they played.

So, really, this is all about player development and if they can get enough games it where it would have an impact of quality of play going forward. I’d imagine a full 18 months without competitive hockey for a large portion of the league wouldn’t be a good thing. Even if there is a 3 month window for games, I’m sure it would be much better than nothing.

The question is whether it is worth the money to do so.

That all said, the discussion on HNIC would suggest the return isn’t likely and they are trying to figure out alternatives. If they are trying to figure that stuff out and it is leaking while return to play plans really aren’t leaking, it would lead me to believe they are looking at cancellation alternatives more-so than playing alternative.s

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I don’t think they’d start a season for prospect viewing. I think it is for overall development of the league players as a whole.

I’m just not sure if/when they do get an allowance for fans that it would make any significant difference. I think the teams would be in the same “re-branding” situation next season to bring fans back as they would even if they played.

So, really, this is all about player development and if they can get enough games it where it would have an impact of quality of play going forward. I’d imagine a full 18 months without competitive hockey for a large portion of the league wouldn’t be a good thing. Even if there is a 3 month window for games, I’m sure it would be much better than nothing.

The question is whether it is worth the money to do so.

That all said, the discussion on HNIC would suggest the return isn’t likely and they are trying to figure out alternatives. If they are trying to figure that stuff out and it is leaking while return to play plans really aren’t leaking, it would lead me to believe they are looking at cancellation alternatives more-so than playing alternative.s

Prices have gone up everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->