What would fan reaction be if we traded Stone instead of Karlsson?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Would it have been easier or harder to to deal with?

We would still have top line forward and the best D in the league.

Karlsson is the best Dman in the league but for what they did for our team they were pretty equal.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
There’d be outrage for sure, but not nearly to the same level. The difference between a literal franchise player and super star in every sense of the word, and a high end core piece.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
We'd be pissed, but it wouldn't be the same. Don't get me wrong, I'd be very angry if Stone got traded over money like Karlsson did, but Stone isn't the player Karlsson is.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I'd still be pretty upset unless it was a can't-pass-up deal (which, knowing Dorion, it would have been can't-pass-up from the other GM).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It would be upsetting, but somewhat understandable. As much as everyone loves Stone, he is a clear candidate to be one of those long-term UFA contracts that looks horrible in the last 4 years. Karlsson is the kind of player you have on your team once in a lifetime.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It would be upsetting, but somewhat understandable. As much as everyone loves Stone, he is a clear candidate to be one of those long-term UFA contracts that looks horrible in the last 4 years. Karlsson is the kind of player you have on your team once in a lifetime.

If anything its the opposite on what you said about Stone. His IQ and hands are the reason he's as good as he is. Those things stay and will make him effective until the later part of his career. Kinda like Jagr.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If anything its the opposite on what you said about Stone. His IQ and hands are the reason he's as good as he is. Those things stay and will make him effective until the later part of his career. Kinda like Jagr.

But, we've already seen whenever Stone comes back from injury it takes him a few games to get back into game rhythm. Even with his high IQ, it doesn't make up for his body being less than optimum shape. The game is just too fast now for average skaters.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I’d be livid, but less so than with Karlsson.

Players like Stone come up now and then. We may not have a player like Karlsson for 20 years or more.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I’d be livid, but less so than with Karlsson.

Players like Stone come up now and then. We may not have a player like Karlsson for 20 years or more.

or ever lol. for instance the leafs have never had a player as good as Karlsson.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Elated.

Because we’d still have Erik f***ing Karlsson.

How is it a tough choice? Keep either;

Statistically- the third best defencman all time in the NHL, or,

The 40th best right winger of all time.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Elated.

Because we’d still have Erik ****ing Karlsson.

How is it a tough choice? Keep either;

Statistically- the third best defencman all time in the NHL, or,

The 40th best right winger of all time.

Stone would be pretty honoured to be called the 40th best RW of all-time.

Reactions: Beville

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Stone would be pretty honoured to be called the 40th best RW of all-time.

I originally had 60th, but then I thought by the time his career is likely done, he’ll be higher up. Even then, 4 RW’s for the original six, 2 for the next 16, and 1 for the remaining nine and your at 65.

I didn’t intend for that math. I hate everything so much right now. This crap is definitely affecting me in ways beyond fandom, I miss Erik.

I always thought Chara was my favourite player of all time, but I know that’s now a lie.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Seriously though, don’t you remember the days when you could just gloat and say “no matter how bad it is - we got EK, and one day...” And now poor Josh Norris and Rudy Balcers.

Hopefully they’re related to Chuck Norris and Rudy from that movie respectively because we need some Hollywood magic to just break even this season. Hopefully Vegas didn’t use all of it last season!

That defence. Just. So. Bad. Why? God? Why!?!

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Wouldn’t even be half as bad.

EK is arguably going to be a top 10 defender all time, Stone won’t be a top 100 forward ever.

BritishSen

May 20, 2018
Like asking if you'd rather trade a mondeo over a ferrari, I doubt a single soul would have been like "I wish it was Karlsson"

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The anger would have been less, but it still wouldn't have made sense to lose one of only 3 core players we had in the first place, especially with all the dead weight and wrong players prioritized that we're forced to live with. Either pay to play in this league, or find a new hobby Melnyk.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I would've been way happier because just the fact that Stone was a RFA means that he had a lot more value in a trade compared to Karlsson as a UFA since the team acquiring Stone would've had his rights.

So all in all we could've had a better return for a player that didn't have the impact that Karlsson does.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Would it have been easier or harder to to deal with?

We would still have top line forward and the best D in the league.

Karlsson is the best Dman in the league but for what they did for our team they were pretty equal.

There is a good chance we will either trade Stone or lose him in free agency, because of what happened to Karlsson. So it is likely we get to deal with this remorse all over again in less than a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->