What would be the next step for me?

Igately97

Jun 1, 2015
This year I'm going to be playing for a tier 3 NA3EHL team here on the east coast. Assuming things go decent to well, where would I be looking to move up to? USPHL? EHL? NAHL? What would be the best place league to look into for a skill player rather than the goon?

MiracleOnSkates

Jan 12, 2014
If you have the skill, I believe the USPHL will be the best. In my opinion way less goons and huge players, and more skill players in that league. However, both still exist in either league you decide to try out for.

jliebs

Aug 26, 2014
first off as you move up ALL the leagues get more physical and faster and more skilled overall. USHL and BCHL are the best overall skill leagues(other than OHL which is by far #1) . having said that there is still plenty of physcality in the USHL and even BCHL. As a third choice if i had to it would be either the NAHL or USPHL but ONLY for a top organization and only play for a coach that can explain where you will fit in and doesnt jam tryout BS down your throat. They know damn well who they want and offer contracts quickly to those players and have a well documented history of stringing all others along. You have to get top minutes and DON't fall for the "earn your ice" nonesense line that coaches tell kids. If you hear that it means it will take a miricale because you will almost never be really put in a position to succeed . Best to avoid those situations at all costs

NEGenerals

Mar 30, 2015
Boston, MA
As a Coach I find that to be strange advice. Why would "earn your ice" be bad? Should we just give players ice? Or should we have a conversation as to where they fit in on the team but tell them ice won't be given it will be earned?

Dec 13, 2010
first off as you move up ALL the leagues get more physical and faster and more skilled overall. USHL and BCHL are the best overall skill leagues(other than OHL which is by far #1) . having said that there is still plenty of physcality in the USHL and even BCHL. As a third choice if i had to it would be either the NAHL or USPHL but ONLY for a top organization and only play for a coach that can explain where you will fit in and doesnt jam tryout BS down your throat. They know damn well who they want and offer contracts quickly to those players and have a well documented history of stringing all others along. You have to get top minutes and DON't fall for the "earn your ice" nonesense line that coaches tell kids. If you hear that it means it will take a miricale because you will almost never be really put in a position to succeed . Best to avoid those situations at all costs

Had a kid on my team who started the season as a healthy scratch and come playoffs was playing more minutes than almost any forward. Having a bottom-six player come in and fight to earn their minutes isn't a bad thing at all. And not for nothing, scouts are more interested in kids who scrape and claw their way to the highest level than those who dominate at lower levels.

Find the league and team that's the right fit for you. No one has the same development path.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad