What would a defenceman have to do to win a Hart trophy?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
In a league where a forward who puts up 100 points is a strong contender. What kind of performance would it take from a defenceman?

90 points? A +/- of 70? Win the Art Ross?

I'm looking for an exact statistical performance by a the defenceman that will guarantee the hart.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Pronger in 2000 was the last to do it and Burns in 2017 was the closest since

Lot of points, strong +/-, weak team that makes the playoffs, media attention

Same thing as a forward winning it, but obviously a much higher standard

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
It’s sad how hard it is for defensemen to win the Hart. I’ve seen a few polls on here about which position is the most valuable and defense usually wins. It’s strange

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It’s sad how hard it is for defensemen to win the Hart. I’ve seen a few polls on here about which position is the most valuable and defense usually wins. It’s strange

Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid, Malkin vs Keith Karlsson Doughty etc

Forwards are more valuable

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
There is no statistical performance that will guarantee a defenceman the Hart. Voters don't even agree on what the Hart actually means, so there are no guarantees. McDavid was a better player than Hall last year but lost due to voters' interpretation of what it means to provide value to one's team. In a different year they'll choose a different interpretation if it suits their preferred story lines. It's basically nonsense.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
There is no statistical performance that will guarantee a defenceman the Hart. Voters don't even agree on what the Hart actually means, so there are no guarantees. McDavid was a better player than Hall last year but lost due to voters' interpretation of what it means to provide value to one's team. In a different year they'll choose a different interpretation if it suits their preferred story lines. It's basically nonsense.

If a defenceman wins the Art Ross again I guarantee you he's getting the Hart.

Unless his team misses the playoffs.... Then he's not very valuable.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Goalies have the Vezina

Defensemen has the Norris

Forwards have the Hart

If anything forwards get the shaft given token blueliners and goaltenders occasionally win the Hart.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
If a defenceman wins the Art Ross again I guarantee you he's getting the Hart.

Unless his team misses the playoffs.... Then he's not very valuable.
I guess I was thinking more in terms of a minimum statistical requirement. Obviously If a defenceman put up 200 points he'll win the Hart.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
- No forwards having 100 points
- Defenceman is best player on the team
- Team makes the playoffs
- Defenceman has a point per game season and is Top 10 in scoring
- Positive +/-
- Goalie isn't a Vezina candidate but had his best season
- Not too old

Let's say no forwards hit 100 points this season due to injuries, Arizona makes the playoffs, Raanta is in Vezina talks but not nominated, and OEL puts up 81 points in 82 games with a +23. He'd win the Hart for that, even if say McDavid had 98 points.

Reactions: HugginThePost

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I guess I was thinking more in terms of a minimum statistical requirement. Obviously If a defenceman put up 200 points he'll win the Hart.

I would say 100 points would easily do it.

90 probably would as well.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Goalies have the Vezina

Defensemen has the Norris

Forwards have the Hart

If anything forwards get the shaft given token blueliners and goaltenders occasionally win the Hart.
Thats not how the Hart trophy works tho...

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Do what Erik Karlsson did in 2017 or Pronger in 2006 playoffs, but for the entire season. Very, very high standards set for them, unfortunately.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Top 5 in defensemen scoring combined with being considered one of the top defensive defensemen

It probably would help if they play on a team that get alot of points but lack elite forwards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->