Line Combos: What worked for the Sabres last year can work again

Sentrix

May 4, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Last year, the Sabres had most of their success during that late-season run when they were rolling three lines capable of scoring (something we do not have this year), with their top scorers broken up across each. The lines were:

Leino-Roy-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp

What I would suggest this year:

Ott-Grigorenko-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Vanek-Hodgson-Hecht

Scott-McCormick-Kaleta

Notes:
- Like late-season last year, these are not in order of 1st-2nd-3rd. All three can score.
- Nathan Gerbe being anywhere other than the fourth line or scratched, is a joke.
- PP units are a moot point, if anyone has suggestions for that, then post.
- Swapping Ott & Foligno on those lines would be an equally fine option.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
F-E-S have done nothing so far this year. Why would this all of a sudden get them going?

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Even if VHP does get broken up (unlikely) there's no way in hell ruff puts grigorenko on the "1st" line.
I really wish we had a legitimate 3C instead of jochen hecht so we could try grigs on ennis' line (put foligno on the 3rd line to provide some jam and hopefully simplify his game) and see if that sparked some offense

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Last year, the Sabres had most of their success during that late-season run when they were rolling three lines capable of scoring (something we do not have this year), with their top scorers broken up across each. The lines were:

Leino-Roy-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp

What I would suggest this year:

Ott-Grigorenko-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Vanek-Hodgson-Hecht

Scott-McCormick-Kaleta

Notes:
- Like late-season last year, these are not in order of 1st-2nd-3rd. All three can score.
- Nathan Gerbe being anywhere other than the fourth line or scratched, is a joke.
- PP units are a moot point, if anyone has suggestions for that, then post.
- Swapping Ott & Foligno on those lines would be an equally fine option.
So Jochen Hecht is better than Gerbe? lol You need some help. that guy anywhere besides scratched or 4th line is a joke.

Sentrix

May 4, 2012
Buffalo, NY
F-E-S didn't even play on the same line tonight.
But the one time Stafford and Ennis were on the ice together...

Stafford made a nice pass to Ennis in the slot for a goal.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
What value Brad Boyes had was wasted on 3rd and 4th line duty all last season. He currently has 3-5-8 as the 3rd leading scorer for NYI...just sayin'.

As for splitting up lines, eventually teams will focus their attention on VHP and/or they will just cool off. When secondary scoring doesn't pick up then what? I mean other than getting a new coach.

punkr0x

Jul 2, 2009
I actually agree with this, not necessarily in the combos he posted. But we need more than one line that can score. Currently we have one amazing line, one line that might score once in a while and two lines just to take up ice time. Three decent lines would server the team better IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad