what wings need for the playoffs

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
-A lottery draft pick which results in a defenseman giving the Red Wings a very promising core of said #1 defenseman, Ouellet, Sproul and Smith. That is, of course, if DRW MGMT doesn't wait until Ouellet and Sproul are 30 to make the club
-A couple buyouts of the dinosaurs on the team, which KH won't do
-Signing Smid and Semin or someone likewise
-Nyquist and Tatar having a permanent spot on the team
-As kerjuxaxaxa said, play Datsyuk 60 minutes :laugh:

Last edited:

CloneHakanPlease*

Trading assets for a guy like Iginla is quite possibly the dumbest thing this team could do right now.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
So let's get down to brass tacks.

1. Lubomir Visnovsky - broken record here but the guy is lethal on the power play.
2. Mike Ribeiro - final year of contract. Strong PP performer but more of a passer. Could be the second line center during a playoff run.
3. Matthew Lombardi - PK'ing dynamo who can contribute on the PP. Final year of contract. Good on FOs too.
4. Anton Lander - young, but looks like a very good PK'ing forward. Would Edmonton part with him? Let's find out. If the Oil won't work a deal let's go after Matt Calvert with the BJs.
5. Raffi Torres - final year of his deal and producing quite nicely 5v5. Also plays with a bit of an edge. Torres and Tootoo would make for a line no one wants to go up against.

23 man roster

Filppula-Pavs-Mule
Zetterberg-Ribeiro-Brunner
Bert-Helm-Tatar
Torres-Abdelkader-Tootoo
Cleary
Miller

Kronwall-Ericsson
Smith-White
Visnovsky-Lashoff
Huskins

Howard
Gustavsson

I'm not saying this is going to happen, just goofing around while trying to be somewhat realistic, ie the trades are for guys in the final year of their contract, not likely to renew with their current team, the current team is out of the playoff picture, etc.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ribeiro is super super super underrated on these forums. I think it's due to his antics in Montreal, but whatever. He's quietly putting up another great year. We'd be very lucky to snag him.

But he can be super super frustrating. He always wants to hold the puck and hold it forever. This can make the powerplay a painful experience. But his playmaking is off the charts, so I think you'd be looking at a legitimate option to make Franzen look brilliant. Ribeiro was the primary reason behind Morrow looking like a top power forward.

I'm most in favor of getting Visnovsky. He's the real deal on the point. This Wings team needs that right now to take some of the pressure of Kronwall down the stretch.

doublejack

Feb 11, 2004
Detroit
I interpret this thread in two different ways.

What do we need to make the playoffs? Really nothing. The team is mediocre, but every season several mediocre teams make the playoffs. If we get hot and rattle off a 10 game point streak, we will be in. The current roster is capable of that.

What do we need to do well in the playoffs? Not much, just a Norris caliber defenceman or two. We're >< that close to contending.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
What do we need to do well in the playoffs? Not much, just a Norris caliber defenceman or two. We're >< that close to contending.

If the team is healthy and the defenders pick up their game, I don't think there's any team outside of Chicago in the West that would blow out this roster in a 7 game series.

But I'll admit, that's two big "if's".

doublejack

Feb 11, 2004
Detroit
If the team is healthy and the defenders pick up their game, I don't think there's any team outside of Chicago in the West that would blow out this roster in a 7 game series.

But I'll admit, that's two big "if's".

Blow us out? I agree with you. Wings vs. Chicago would be a 4 game series, and it would be ugly. Nobody else is that far ahead of the pack.

However, I think we would be underdogs against LA, Nashville, and Vancouver - if they don't start Luongo :laugh: Anaheim is playing well, and St. Louis scares me.

I think even if we get healthy, we are looking at a first or second round exit, with little chance of doing any better than that.

CloneHakanPlease*

I interpret this thread in two different ways.

What do we need to make the playoffs? Really nothing. The team is mediocre, but every season several mediocre teams make the playoffs. If we get hot and rattle off a 10 game point streak, we will be in. The current roster is capable of that.

We had a near Norris level defenseman last year and we weren't actual contenders.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Wings need to be healthy first and foremost. An upgrade on the blueline would go a long way, too.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'd love to add Jaybo to the team. He would be huge for us. All the defenseman would be pushed down basically and into the roles they're more suited for. I'm sure it would take a ton but I'd have no problem moving Filppula or Franzen in a package for him. Neither have played that well and we're still fifth in the league in scoring. We need a top pairing defenseman so much more.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Ribeiro is super super super underrated on these forums. I think it's due to his antics in Montreal, but whatever. He's quietly putting up another great year. We'd be very lucky to snag him.

But he can be super super frustrating. He always wants to hold the puck and hold it forever. This can make the powerplay a painful experience. But his playmaking is off the charts, so I think you'd be looking at a legitimate option to make Franzen look brilliant. Ribeiro was the primary reason behind Morrow looking like a top power forward.

Ribiero is a very skilled and talented player, but I'd never want him on a team that I root for. Even if I had never seen his antics in Montreal, I hated watching him in Dallas and even now in Washington. He's a b**ch, plain and simple. He cries and whines, acts cheeky, and doesn't come off as a winner. He's the biggest ****** in the NHL IMO.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ribiero is a very skilled and talented player, but I'd never want him on a team that I root for. Even if I had never seen his antics in Montreal, I hated watching him in Dallas and even now in Washington. He's a b**ch, plain and simple. He cries and whines, acts cheeky, and doesn't come off as a winner. He's the biggest ****** in the NHL IMO.

As a leader in Dallas, it was a problem. It's why he was traded for peanuts. But on a team like Detroit, he'd be a secondary guy and his demeanor wouldn't hurt anything. Particularly as a stopgap player and not a core piece.

I'll admit, though, he doesn't seem like a terribly appealing guy to hang out with.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...o-arrested-on-public-intoxication-charge.html

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
As a leader in Dallas, it was a problem. It's why he was traded for peanuts. But on a team like Detroit, he'd be a secondary guy and his demeanor wouldn't hurt anything. Particularly as a stopgap player and not a core piece.

I'll admit, though, he doesn't seem like a terribly appealing guy to hang out with.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...o-arrested-on-public-intoxication-charge.html

I don't buy that he wouldn't affect the room.

Manny Legace was a drain on the locker room when Yzerman, Shanahan, Chelios, Draper and Lidstrom were still on the team. Not to take anything away from Zetterberg and Datsyuk but the Wings current leadership core isn't nearly that strong, so having Ribeiro around is not something I'd like them to take on.

CloneHakanPlease*

I don't buy that he wouldn't affect the room.

Manny Legace was a drain on the locker room when Yzerman, Shanahan, Chelios, Draper and Lidstrom were still on the team. Not to take anything away from Zetterberg and Datsyuk but the Wings current leadership core isn't nearly that strong, so having Ribeiro around is not something I'd like them to take on.

Not doubting you, but this is the first time I heard about Legace being a problem in the locker room. I know he kinda had a defeatist attitude, but your post kinda hinted more than that. Anyone want to enlighten me?

And for the record Shanahan didn't get along with A LOT of players. The type of guy who bones another teammates wife is bound to have some critiques, different team or not.

Thrace

Feb 21, 2012
I'd love to add Jaybo to the team. He would be huge for us. All the defenseman would be pushed down basically and into the roles they're more suited for. I'm sure it would take a ton but I'd have no problem moving Filppula or Franzen in a package for him. Neither have played that well and we're still fifth in the league in scoring. We need a top pairing defenseman so much more.

God damn, I read 'Jaybo' as 'Jovo' and almost spat coffee over my keyboard when you suggested trading Flip for him.

Anyways, I would support moving Flip for Bouwmeester if possible. He'd definitely be the top-pairing guy we need. I don't know if it's very likely though. At this point I'd rather keep the Mule since it seems Babs will never ever play Pavel without a 'big body' on his line, and I'd much rather that body belonged to Franzen than Cleary, Abby, Sammy or Bert.

we like our team*

isn't bertuzzi currently injured

edit: or was that sarcasm...

BlakKy

Nov 4, 2010
Toronto
Heres a pseudo-fantasy roster...

Bertuzzi Datsyuk Filpula
Franzen Zetterberg Brunner
Tatar Helm Samulsen
Torres Adbelakder Tootoo
Anderson Eaves
(Miller/Cleary* traded to Buffalo for Regehr)

Kronwall Ericsson
Visnovsky White
Kindl Smith
Huskins

Quincey + for Lubo.
CC for Torres.

I think Buffalo is more likely to bite on Miller alone. That's like Someone offering to trade their stamp collection (Reggy) for a working crock pot (Miller) or someone offering their stamp collection (Reggy) for a crock pot (miller) with **** (Cleary) in it.

Gerin

Aug 15, 2010
British Columbia
defense for sure,
I like the idea of Mark Streit. But there may also be a possabilty of Paul Postma from the Jets when there D are healthy they will likely have to move 1. Hes only age 24 and right handed shot, looked good on the powerplay from what ive seen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->