what wings need for the playoffs

djdan6215

Feb 26, 2012
what the wings need for made the playoffs this year ???

-top six forward or top four defense ???

in my opinion we need a top six forward a lot of forward are probably available at the deadline

stephen weiss (my first choice)
michael ryder
jerome iginla
erik cole
tim connelly
ales hemsky

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

in my opinion we need a top six forward a lot of forward are probably available at the deadline

michael ryder
jerome iginla
erik cole
tim connelly
ales hemsky

We need Jimmy to play up to his potential. If that happens we are a playoff team.

Weiss is over rated. He's having a crappy year.
Ryder would be redundant with Brunner in the lineup
  • Brunner has 10 goals, Ryder has 6 goals
Jarome is old and has 3 goals. Plus Calgary always overvalues their players.
Cole Montreal is fighting for the #1 seed, they ain't sellers.
Connolly appears to be in the minors
Hemsky wow another year another Ales Hemsky trade proposal!

So let's get down to brass tacks.

1. Lubomir Visnovsky - broken record here but the guy is lethal on the power play.
2. Mike Ribeiro - final year of contract. Strong PP performer but more of a passer. Could be the second line center during a playoff run.
3. Matthew Lombardi - PK'ing dynamo who can contribute on the PP. Final year of contract. Good on FOs too.
4. Anton Lander - young, but looks like a very good PK'ing forward. Would Edmonton part with him? Let's find out. If the Oil won't work a deal let's go after Matt Calvert with the BJs.
5. Raffi Torres - final year of his deal and producing quite nicely 5v5. Also plays with a bit of an edge. Torres and Tootoo would make for a line no one wants to go up against.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Cleary off the ice....

Oh wait that wasn't an option :sarcasm:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

michael ryder
jerome iginla
erik cole
tim connelly
ales hemsky

To answer your question.

Top 4 Defense AINEC

Our forwards are fine in my opinion.

RedWinged

Mar 20, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
We need both.. but our defense is a bigger need than the offense.. That said, we are not making any noise in the playoffs.. so why trade assets for a rental.. imo

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
We need both.. but our defense is a bigger need than the offense.. That said, we are not making any noise in the playoffs.. so why trade assets for a rental.. imo

This. Kenny has seemed pretty content with getting into the playoffs and letting "anything happen."

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
If our forward group is healthy I really like what we especially with Tatar looking so I effective. Hell, if Nyquist gets a shot with more injuries and flourishes similarly I wouldnt be opposed to Filp being part of a deal for a stud dman.

^As mentioned above, Visnovsky would be a great addition and so would Raffi torres. Imagine a line of Torres, Abdelkader, and Tootoo on the forecheck?

I cant help but think theres some truth to those Weiss rumors - Hollands play is likely pending on the status of Helms back which should be clearer in a few days.

Ive been a broken record on this guy - but someone Ireally think would fit here would be Robyn Regehr. Hes not what he once was but hes a big body that competes and sticks up for teammates. Hed be a good anchor for a Smith/Kindl/Quincey.
Heres a pseudo-fantasy roster...

Bertuzzi Datsyuk Filpula
Franzen Zetterberg Brunner
Tatar Helm Samulsen
Torres Adbelakder Tootoo
Anderson Eaves
(Miller/Cleary* traded to Buffalo for Regehr)

Kronwall Ericsson
Visnovsky White
Kindl Smith
Huskins

Quincey + for Lubo.
CC for Torres.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wings should not go after anyone that will cost them young assets/draft picks. You trade one of the 50 million forwards you have for a long term upgrade that could possibly help in the short term too.

Go after some defensive d men who can settle the blue line down and allow Holland to actually apply his defense my committee approach. They don't need to be fancy/big names, they just need to be reliable.

Current defense is being asked to do too much. Holland wants a bend, but don't break defense. Currently it's breaking almost every night and you feel like having a heart attack whenever the puck gets into the Wings zone.

Sure as hell don't trade for JayBo or other high profile players who will have their cost driven up by teams like Philly because they seem to want every defense man in the NHL.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
-1 more top six winger (maybe we can find that in Gustav Nyquist if we give him a stint not just 1 game)
-1 more top 4 d man (time for Lashoff, Kind, or Smith to step up)
-empty IR. get our players healthy (Helm, Coliacovo, Bert)
-The balls to get rid of the dead weight. If you aren't playing well, you don't play. (Cleary, Sammy...)

We very well might have all the pieces to the puzzle, we just havn't put them together yet.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Wings need long term options, but those are more likely to be had the summer when other teams might want to shred salary. Rentals is a no.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Health would be a start. Helm and Franzen are big pieces to this team.

Then they need Kronwall and Jimmy to be more consistent when it comes to preventing opportunities and keeping the puck out of the net.

Then we need Filppula to wake up. If Filppula can return to his regular season level of play from last season (and Franzen returns), suddenly the top 2 lines look pretty darn good.

This team really needs to find it out what it can be first and foremost. Helm's lack of progress concerns me though.

An effective defensive defencemen would also be nice to have. Basically Brad Stuart from 08-11. That'd impact the team immediately.

redwings85

In Ozzie I trust.
Nov 11, 2008
America's Hat.
Simple, they need to be healthy again. They need to get there winning ways back. Need to play with heart and passion they've once had.
The entire team needs to turn it up a notch. I personally believe this roster has the potential to win the cup an go deep into the playoffs. Everyone needs to step it up a notch from players to coaches. Hell even the fans...

Animus

Mar 10, 2011
Bowie, Maryland
Hmmmm I opened this link thinking "Let me see what people think we need" and I got "Let's watch everyone bash Danny Cleary for the 800th time". For a guy that's actually starting to produce on the PP, its really becoming a broken record...

I actually like the idea of getting Visnovsky from NYI but that would require a lot on work on Detroit's end. Anton Lander/Matt Calvert is actually one of the best idea's I've seen on here in a while (wouldn't cost Detroit much). Riberio is another good one but Washington will want a ransom for him after what they just gave up to get him (seriously doubt he signs there after this disaster so far). Not that I EVER think it will happen but sniffing around the NYI for Mark Streit might not be a bad idea either...last year of contract, current captain (Tavares will get it next season) and actually producing nicely...and hell he might even want to play with a fellow countrymen in Brunner for cheap.

In all honesty (and let's be realistic), getting healthy and getting players back would be best right now. With Lashoff getting signed yesterday, a trade is coming most like one of White, Kindl, Huskins and probably for picks and nothing else.

Jimmy Howard playing like an all-star would give this team a giant lift as well.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Red Wings will make the playoffs, what we need to win the cup...is a top 2 D man and/or Jimmy to play out of his mind!

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Any of the young guys playing in the playoffs is a pipe dream with this team. You can already hear Babcock commenting on Tatar, “He's got to learn to take care of the puck. He's got to learn how to play without it,'' Nevermind the fact that he has been instrumental in getting the Wings bottom 6 offense going. Nevermind the fact that Cleary and Bertuzzi are turnover machines. Why does Cleary get a free pass on turnovers and killing offensive possession all the while being slow, soft and ineffective defensively? None of that matters. If Samuelsson, Bertuzzi and Cleary are all healthy for the playoffs your lineup is going to look something like this:

Franzen-Z-Brunner
Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Flip
Cleary-Helm-Samuelsson
Tootoo-Andelkader-Miller

And, Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson and Eaves will all be on the bench or in GR. Our only hope is that the rights guys get healthy (Helm, possibly Bert and Samualsson) and Cleary & Emmerton get hurt. That's the only way the line-up we'd like to see gets to play.

RedWingsNow*

We need Jimmy to play up to his potential. If that happens we are a playoff team.

Weiss is over rated. He's having a crappy year.
Ryder would be redundant with Brunner in the lineup
  • Brunner has 10 goals, Ryder has 6 goals
Jarome is old and has 3 goals. Plus Calgary always overvalues their players.
Cole Montreal is fighting for the #1 seed, they ain't sellers.
Connolly appears to be in the minors
Hemsky wow another year another Ales Hemsky trade proposal!

So let's get down to brass tacks.

1. Lubomir Visnovsky - broken record here but the guy is lethal on the power play.
2. Mike Ribeiro - final year of contract. Strong PP performer but more of a passer. Could be the second line center during a playoff run.
3. Matthew Lombardi - PK'ing dynamo who can contribute on the PP. Final year of contract. Good on FOs too.
4. Anton Lander - young, but looks like a very good PK'ing forward. Would Edmonton part with him? Let's find out. If the Oil won't work a deal let's go after Matt Calvert with the BJs.
5. Raffi Torres - final year of his deal and producing quite nicely 5v5. Also plays with a bit of an edge. Torres and Tootoo would make for a line no one wants to go up against.

The only guy I like on the list is Torres. but I don't see the Wings adding another Bottom sixer.

Imagine a line of Torres Datsyuk Tootoo ... droool

RedWingsNow*

We need to swap out some offensive defensemen for defensive defensemen *righthanded.

We need a true righthanded center who can win draws

We need a right handed snipe for Datsyuk's line

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Health would be a start. Helm and Franzen are big pieces to this team.

Then they need Kronwall and Jimmy to be more consistent when it comes to preventing opportunities and keeping the puck out of the net.

Then we need Filppula to wake up. If Filppula can return to his regular season level of play from last season (and Franzen returns), suddenly the top 2 lines look pretty darn good.

This team really needs to find it out what it can be first and foremost. Helm's lack of progress concerns me though.

An effective defensive defencemen would also be nice to have. Basically Brad Stuart from 08-11. That'd impact the team immediately.

I'm pretty much in lockstep with all that...I want to see Franzen and Helm back in the lineup. Bertuzzi would be nice to have and I have no use for Samuelsson.

The only good thing about the injuries...it's given other guys a chance to perform. Tatar has (hopefully) played his way into being a full-timer by next year at the latest. Lashoff got himself a new deal...he's done pretty well for himself. Even Andersson is playing his way into being an option or at least go on the short list for a call-up.

I think a defensive-minded defenseman that can at least make a pass out of the zone is the #1 need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->