What will Pittsburgh do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalmonkey*

Forgive me if it's been discussed ad nauseum, but...

:pens

Let's assume that Pittsburgh ends up with the 1st pick in this years draft; who do you think they will pick. Will they pick Kessel or Staal to go along with Crosby, Malkin and company or will they draft Johnson to join Welch and Whitney on the blueline?

OR...

Will they trade the pick?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
The safe choice would be Johnson, since they need defense and he is ranked no. 1 I believe. Kessel would have to convert to wing so if they wanted him they'd have to ask him about that first I suppose. I can't see them being able to unload the pick for anything worthwhile but in my dreams it would be for Niklas Kronwall. Hell, Detroit can even keep their pick cuz lord knows the Pens won't do anything with a pick that low anyways!

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
I would like to see pitts make a move with like lets say ottawa for havlat+ or to minnisota for gaborik+. That is only if it is the 1st or second overall, its a move that would be very wise for pitts to make.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
If they pick #1, take Johnson. If they pick #2, I suppose I'd consider taking Toews for them... I agree Kessel is the more "talented" player, but maybe Pittsburgh already has enough franchise-calibre flashy talent, maybe even enough lower line character guys (Talbot, Stone, Armstrong), and maybe they need a complementary character guy on the top lines?

(BPA... who needs it! ;) )

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
#66 said:
EJ or trade it to the Canes, so that they can put the Staals together, for Jack Johnson.

Doubt that would happen. Wouldn't they just trade with someone slightly lower, like number four or five? Isn't that where Staal is supposed to go? Regardless, I'm pretty sure they're hanging on to Jack Johnson.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
No way do they trade the pick for what someone would be willing to pay, which is relatively little. An extra second does us next to no good at all with the prospects we already have in the pipes. Kessel or Johnson would be the pick, most likely Johnson if the pick were the first, Kessel if number two, but Kessel may even be an option at one depending on how things go between now and this summer. I do not see them moving the pick, of all the teams who might end up in that position Pittsburgh is perhaps unique in being able to gamble on a Kessel. I really think that he is a fairly safe pick, but if they bust on the pick, really how set back would they be with what they have up or coming up? Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney, Orpik, Noah Welch, and on and on down the line they are pretty stacked at high end franchise level can't miss talent with sat least three of that calibre, and very very good talent just below that level, no matter what happens this draft.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Jaded-Fan said:
No way do they trade the pick for what someone would be willing to pay, which is relatively little. An extra second does us next to no good at all with the prospects we already have in the pipes. Kessel or Johnson would be the pick, most likely Johnson if the pick were the first, Kessel if number two, but Kessel may even be an option at one depending on how things go between now and this summer. I do not see them moving the pick, of all the teams who might end up in that position Pittsburgh is perhaps unique in being able to gamble on a Kessel. I really think that he is a fairly safe pick, but if they bust on the pick, really how set back would they be with what they have up or coming up? Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Whitney, Orpik, Noah Welch, and on and on down the line they are pretty stacked at high end franchise level can't miss talent with sat least three of that calibre, and very very good talent just below that level, no matter what happens this draft.

I don't even think it matters if they pick 1 or 2. At pick one they take Johnson probably and pick two they probably still get him. Say Chicago or St. Louis gets first pick: Do you really think with the shape those teams are in they'll take a defenseman? No, they will take a center to put butts in the seats.

Also, how can the Penguins afford to gamble?? They're the worst team in the league and they have no defense! The only way they can justify taking Kessel is if they solidified their defense by signing 2-3 solid D in free agency and I don't want to rely on that since Pitt isn't exactly a hot spot for UFAs right now.

It would be interesting though. Picking Kessel would pretty much commit them to a run and gun style for the next 15 years because of all the offense they'd have tied up in the payroll......

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
UnderratedBrooks44 said:
Doubt that would happen. Wouldn't they just trade with someone slightly lower, like number four or five? Isn't that where Staal is supposed to go? Regardless, I'm pretty sure they're hanging on to Jack Johnson.
I don't think so either but I can hope. I'm with Jaded though, I don't think that they would trade it at least on draft day. Maybe they grab a stud and trade it for an asset later though.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
UnderratedBrooks44 said:
I don't even think it matters if they pick 1 or 2. At pick one they take Johnson probably and pick two they probably still get him. Say Chicago or St. Louis gets first pick: Do you really think with the shape those teams are in they'll take a defenseman? No, they will take a center to put butts in the seats.

Also, how can the Penguins afford to gamble?? They're the worst team in the league and they have no defense! The only way they can justify taking Kessel is if they solidified their defense by signing 2-3 solid D in free agency and I don't want to rely on that since Pitt isn't exactly a hot spot for UFAs right now.

It would be interesting though. Picking Kessel would pretty much commit them to a run and gun style for the next 15 years because of all the offense they'd have tied up in the payroll......

You are severely under-rating what Pittsburgh has up or coming in the future defensively. They sucked this year but we are talking draft picks, so the future. No they do not have what Johnson seems to be, but few do, But they are hardly in bad shape defensively. Two of our top three prospects and seven of our top nineteen are on defense, and that is on the top rated propect list in all of hockey:

Ryan Whitney
Noah Welch
Alex Goligoski
Ryan Lannon
Kristopher Letang
Andy Schneider
Paul Bissonnette

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team/pittsburgh_penguins

Add to that:

Gonchar the next four years
Brooks Orpik

Finally about a third of our 'other notables' in that HF ranking are on defense. Some of those above will turn into very servicable if not great pros. It is inevitable with that kind of quantity and quality. You forget that defense was this organizations focus and strength in drafting before we got lucky starting with Fleury and Malkin. Whether we choose Johnson or not, we are hardly desperate or condemned to run and gun the next 15 years as you claim.

digitalmonkey*

Jaded-Fan said:
You are severely under-rating what Pittsburgh has up or coming in the future defensively. They sucked this year but we are talking draft picks, so the future. No they do not have what Johnson seems to be, but few do, But they are hardly in bad shape defensively. Two of our top three prospects and seven of our top nineteen are on defense, and that is on the top rated propect list in all of hockey:

Ryan Whitney
Noah Welch
Alex Goligoski
Ryan Lannon
Kristopher Letang
Andy Schneider
Paul Bissonnette

Add to that:

Brooks Orpik

Finally about a third of our 'other notables' in that HF ranking are on defense. We are hardly desperate or condemned to run and gun the next 15 years as you claim.

You took the words out of my mouth.

The only thing Pittsburgh seems condemned to is to play their home games in Kansas City. :eek:

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Jaded-Fan said:

Ryan Whitney
Noah Welch
Alex Goligoski
Ryan Lannon
Kristopher Letang
Andy Schneider
Paul Bissonnette

Add to that:

Brooks Orpik

Finally about a third of our 'other notables' in that HF ranking are on defense. We are hardly desperate or condemned to run and gun the next 15 years as you claim.

I don't think I'm underrating them at all. Aside from Whitney (who isn't really a prospect anymore) who do they have coming down the pike that's so special? If Welch was so good he'd've been up here for at least a few games this year and the more I hear about him is that he's good but not ready to take the big step. Letang is what, 18? We'll wait and see, he was a 3rd round pick.

I think YOU are underestimating the fact that every team in the league has guys like Lannon and Bissonnette in their system. Those guys will probably never play in a Penguin uniform I can tell you that now. Some guys are just AHLers for life, unless they fall under a lucky star like Nesreddine did. Take that and the fact that almost every other team has a better defense on the big club and you're looking at a pretty porous situation. We need a stud, I want someone that can be put out there on the first penalty killing unit that I am confident in. They don't have that guy and the only chance they have at getting one is in this draft with Johnson.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
digitalmonkey said:
You took the words out of my mouth.

The only thing Pittsburgh seems condemned to is to play their home games in Kansas City. :eek:

That seems to be less and less a possibility. The political pressure here is pretty enormous and while that was a real possibility only a month ago, Bettman even recently said that the move was now 'unlikely' during a Q&A session he had last week. Still, it will be a worry for me until that slots license is awarded, but I feel much better about it than I had.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
Personnally, I think if the Penguins get the number one pick they'll pull a Dudley and trade down to 2nd or 3rd, and pick Toews (Kessel a possibility)

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
they need erik johnson badly. This year for them ost part there worst point was there defense. Him and Ry Whitney would be a great tandem in the future and sould solidfy a nice top 2-3 unit. They got guys like Crosby, Malkin, who are all the young scoring they need, kessel wouldnt fit in that well with them IMHO as much as a sniper with speed and a big bodied PF would. I say Johnson would be the smarter move

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
UnderratedBrooks44 said:
I don't think I'm underrating them at all. Aside from Whitney (who isn't really a prospect anymore) who do they have coming down the pike that's so special? If Welch was so good he'd've been up here for at least a few games this year and the more I hear about him is that he's good but not ready to take the big step. Letang is what, 18? We'll wait and see, he was a 3rd round pick.

I think YOU are underestimating the fact that every team in the league has guys like Lannon and Bissonnette in their system. Those guys will probably never play in a Penguin uniform I can tell you that now. Some guys are just AHLers for life, unless they fall under a lucky star like Nesreddine did. Take that and the fact that almost every other team has a better defense on the big club and you're looking at a pretty porous situation. We need a stud, I want someone that can be put out there on the first penalty killing unit that I am confident in. They don't have that guy and the only chance they have at getting one is in this draft with Johnson.

You are missing the point. They do not need all twenty five or so to make the club do they? Defense, and quality players on defense, is one of the deepest positions on the club. Chances are good that some of those players will make the club and have varying impact. In fact, HF in analyzing our prospects says just that, that with our depth of, as they call it, NHL calibre players, we will have to actually trade some to give them NHL spots. So it is not just me disagreeing with you. That said, Johnson would be a wonderful pick up, no doubt about it. But it does not change my disagreeing with you.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Jaded-Fan said:
You are missing the point. They do not need all twenty five or so to make the club do they? Defense, and quality players on defense, is one of the deepest positions on the club. Chances are good that some of those players will make the club and have varying impact. In fact, HF in analyzing our prospects says just that, that with out depth of, as they call it, NHL calibre players, we will have to actually trade some to give them NHL spots. So it is not just me disagreeing with you. That said, Johnson would be a wonderful pick up, no doubt about it. But it does not change my disagreeing with you.

Okay, that's fine and there are definitely credible sources backing you up but to counter the Pens had Welch at about number 50 or so in Hockey News' top 60 prospects and no other defensemen. That's my side of the coin. It tells me that other than Welch no one else seems to be anything special. We'll see what the Penguins' prospect rating is on here when Fleury, Crosby and Malkin aren't considered prospects anymore. Put it this way: Do you really think guys like Bissonnette and Lannon are any better than the young Dmen a lot of teams have in their farm system? It all depends on what you consider NHL-caliber too. For instance, I don't consider Rob Scuderi a viable defenseman for the Penguins. I rate players by whether or not they fit on a Stanley Cup team because that is the goal. I don't see these guys doing that.

All in all, I guess my point is ask someone who is a fan of another team about the Pens defensive prospects and they might name Welch but other than that I bet you they don't see anyone special on our list.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
hockeyGod said:
I would like to see pitts make a move with like lets say ottawa for havlat+ or to minnisota for gaborik+. That is only if it is the 1st or second overall, its a move that would be very wise for pitts to make.
if ottawa is in cap trouble trying to sign chara and redden, i certainly wouldn't mind a deal like havlat+phillips for the #1 overall. the addition of havlat, malkin, phillips next year could quickly improve the team.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
UnderratedBrooks44 said:
Okay, that's fine and there are definitely credible sources backing you up but to counter the Pens had Welch at about number 50 or so in Hockey News' top 60 prospects and no other defensemen. That's my side of the coin. It tells me that other than Welch no one else seems to be anything special. We'll see what the Penguins' prospect rating is on here when Fleury, Crosby and Malkin aren't considered prospects anymore. Put it this way: Do you really think guys like Bissonnette and Lannon are any better than the young Dmen a lot of teams have in their farm system? It all depends on what you consider NHL-caliber too. For instance, I don't consider Rob Scuderi a viable defenseman for the Penguins. I rate players by whether or not they fit on a Stanley Cup team because that is the goal. I don't see these guys doing that.

All in all, I guess my point is ask someone who is a fan of another team about the Pens defensive prospects and they might name Welch but other than that I bet you they don't see anyone special on our list.

The other side of the coin is this: Who do we have, at all, who can play wing in the pipe-line? By far this is our most desperate need and shortcoming. All things being equal, we seem to have enough in the system that at least some will make it and come up and do at least adequately on defense. But wing? When will we find another Kessel calibre finisher? Who do we have who can finish, at all? I doubt that we pick top five again in the forseeable future with what we have percolating up. And what a waste to have Crosby and Malkin on our top lines and cast-offs like Rita as our top finishers. And nearly no one on the horizon like we have on defense to change that, eh? If Johnson and Kessel are near equal, both would be wonderful but Kessel feels a much greater need and hole on this team.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Jaded-Fan said:
The other side of the coin is this: Who do we have, at all, who can play wing in the pipe-line? By far this is our most desperate need and shortcoming. All things being equal, we seem to have enough in the system that at least some will make it and come up and do at least adequately on defense. But wing? When will we find another Kessel calibre finisher? Who do we have who can finish, at all? I doubt that we pick top five again in the forseeable future with what we have percolating up. And what a waste to have Crosby and Malkin on our top lines and cast-offs like Rita as our top finishers. And nearly no one on the horizon like we have on defense to change that, eh? If Johnson and Kessel are near equal, both would be wonderful but Kessel feels a much greater need and hole on this team.

Two reasons:

1. Because you build from the goal out. Defense is first. This team is not going anywhere in the next couple years. The best thing to do is to stabilize the defense and at the worst you'll have something of a poor man's Calgary with a little less D and a little more O. I'll take my chances with Johnson, Orpik, Whitney and a FA or two that forms a solid D instead of Malkin, Crosby and Kessel plus a defense that resembles this year's.

2. There is no way Kessel stays a Penguins for even 75% of his career. He will play wing and as soon as he hits the free market he will be entertaining a countless offers, maybe the maximum if he is that good (and he'll be playing with Crosby so he just might have a bidders offering him the max to center).

Yeah, they don't have any wingers but they do have two franchise centers and for now that's enough. What's the point of adding a sniper when you're defense is a bumbling mess?

digitalmonkey*

UnderratedBrooks44 said:
Two reasons:

1. Because you build from the goal out. Defense is first. This team is not going anywhere in the next couple years. The best thing to do is to stabilize the defense and at the worst you'll have something of a poor man's Calgary with a little less D and a little more O. I'll take my chances with Johnson, Orpik, Whitney and a FA or two that forms a solid D instead of Malkin, Crosby and Kessel plus a defense that resembles this year's.
2. There is no way Kessel stays a Penguins for even 75% of his career. He will play wing and as soon as he hits the free market he will be entertaining a countless offers, maybe the maximum if he is that good (and he'll be playing with Crosby so he just might have a bidders offering him the max to center).

Yeah, they don't have any wingers but they do have two franchise centers and for now that's enough. What's the point of adding a sniper when you're defense is a bumbling mess?

You seem to be under the impression that players don't improve from one year to the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad