What will our bottom pairing look like at the mid-way point of the season?

Predict our third pairing midway into the season

• Valimaki-Stone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hanifin-Stone, prospect usurps Hanifin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Andersson-Stone would be a bad pairing, calling that now.

I expect Kulak-Hamonic to be our third pairing, albeit maybe taking "tougher" minutes than a higher-scoring Hanifin-Andersson second pairing.

Now if Hanifin-Hamonic works out, then it'll either be Kylington-Stone or Kulak-Andersson. Can't see any other third pair combo that makes any sense. They won't want two rookies (Kylington-Andersson), Valimaki probably needs some polishing, and Kulak-Stone would mean Andersson was very disappointing.

I doubt we see Andersson-Hainstud as a pairing.

They'll give Hammer and Hanifin a long look together. See if Hanifin can be the D they need him to be with Hammer

Andersson/Stone would be an upgrade on Kulak/Stone, likely; Andersson is the better hockey player with the much higher ceiling between the two. Don't see why that pair wouldn't mesh. While Kulak's likely a better skater than Rasmus, the gap isn't huge enough where it'd be that old Wideman/Engelland type pairing.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I can't see Andersson playing on his off side as a rookie when he didn't look that great on his usual side last season.

I know people like to rag on GG because he was so adamant about keeping guys on their right side but that is normally what happens throughout the NHL.

I think he was wrong with Brodie because he had shown that he can play on his off-side but with most guys the reason not to move them is not only because they shoot a certain way but because they have spent the majority of their lives playing that side as well.

I don't see them replacing Stone (and they shouldn't), I don't see them moving Andersson to his wrong side (which they shouldn't), I don't think Kylington is close to good enough and I have doubts Valimaki is ready (i really hope he is) so it is tough to see how a rookie gets in outside of injury.

I really hope they don't split up the top 4 because it seems to fit nicely just to shoehorn a rookie in that doesn't really deserve it.

Kulak is the obvious guy out based on play and the team going for the two way deal and waivers but I am not sure I see the replacement for him until Valimaki is ready.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I can't see Andersson playing on his off side as a rookie when he didn't look that great on his usual side last season.

I know people like to rag on GG because he was so adamant about keeping guys on their right side but that is normally what happens throughout the NHL.

I don't see them replacing Stone (and they shouldn't), I don't see them moving Andersson to his wrong side (which they shouldn't), I don't think Kylington is close to good enough and I have doubts Valimaki is ready (i really hope he is) so it is tough to see how a rookie gets in outside of injury.

...Nobody with any brains would make a young d-man play on a side that he's totally unfamiliar with during his rookie season. Playing D in the NHL is tough enough without throwing that into the mix.
Stone, if partnered with Andersson, will play on the left side.

Reactions: Calgareee

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I think he was wrong with Brodie because he had shown that he can play on his off-side but with most guys the reason not to move them is not only because they shoot a certain way but because they have spent the majority of their lives playing that side as well.

I really hope they don't split up the top 4 because it seems to fit nicely just to shoehorn a rookie in that doesn't really deserve it.

Kulak is the obvious guy out based on play and the team going for the two way deal and waivers but I am not sure I see the replacement for him until Valimaki is ready.
Literally everyone putting Andersson and Stone together have Stone on his off-side, where he played last season after Brodie was injured.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Literally everyone putting Andersson and Stone together have Stone on his off-side, where he played last season after Brodie was injured.

Well literally everyone except in the poll which this thread is based on so no not actually everyone.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It doesn't state one way or the other, you gist made that assumption

Normally people list defense man by left guy first right guy second and if that was not the case here then fair enough but don’t try to act like listing defense pairings like that is not the norm.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I listed Stone second for every option just to make the poll easier to read between selections. It was basically asking which two players would be in that pairing. Obviously, Stone-Andersson wouldn't qualify as a part of the "Other" option

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Normally people list defense man by left guy first right guy second and if that was not the case here then fair enough but don’t try to act like listing defense pairings like that is not the norm.
in this case it was pretty clearly just a list thrown together, but you do you

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Probably when you called him trash.

If that was not your intent... well your words are your responsibility, not someone else's.
I think it's pretty obvious in a discussion board about hockey that the adjectives used towards players, when not otherwise qualified, are in reference to their hockey ability at the NHL level. If someone says "Crosby sucks" do you think they're stating that Crosby is bad at life? Or if they say Tavares is slow, that they're referring to his cognitive ability?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think it's pretty obvious in a discussion board about hockey that the adjectives used towards players, when not otherwise qualified, are in reference to their hockey ability at the NHL level. If someone says "Crosby sucks" do you think they're stating that Crosby is bad at life? Or if they say Tavares is slow, that they're referring to his cognitive ability?
No, even if those statements are false.

In this case, it is unclear as describing someone as "trash" is typically treading towards a character attack and not typically used to describe a skill or ability, given its derivation from the similar term "trashy".

Reactions: MonyontheMoney

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’ve called players trash before. It has never been a reflection of them outside of the rink. I’ve called guys like Engelland, Bartkowski and Brouwer got garbage; all guys are good members of the community.

I think we are having a discussion about wording in this board. Nothing particularly new, haha.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I’ve called players trash before. It has never been a reflection of them outside of the rink. I’ve called guys like Engelland, Bartkowski and Brouwer got garbage; all guys are good members of the community.

I think we are having a discussion about wording in this board. Nothing particularly new, haha.
in this particular case though, there is a reason to think the issue might be beyond calling a player's abilities trash. The amount of vitriol Peeps has for Stone is a level of hate we don't see on here often, the only comparison that comes to mind is me and Versteeg and i know him IRL.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
in this particular case though, there is a reason to think the issue might be beyond calling a player's abilities trash. The amount of vitriol Peeps has for Stone is a level of hate we don't see on here often, the only comparison that comes to mind is me and Versteeg and i know him IRL.
I don't read all of Peeps' posts, but I'm sure we've seen the same level directed at Brouwer by half the board, no?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Honestly, I don't really read Peepers posts and be like "Man, this guy wishes death upon this guy or something."

I read it as a fan who doesn't like a player. I think this forum's getting bent out of shape for nothing.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honestly, I don't really read Peepers posts and be like "Man, this guy wishes death upon this guy or something."

I read it as a fan who doesn't like a player. I think this forum's getting bent out of shape for nothing.
I actually read it the same way as you, but I am just saying with his absolute blind hate for Stone, I'm get how some would read it the other way is all.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Bumping this. 2 preseason games left. Has anyone changed their mind based on what they've seen?

I'm thinking Andersson's guaranteed to be up. Kulak-Stone look terrible so far although I'm not sure we're going to trade any of them unless Vali or Kylington explode in the AHL

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
I would love our d pairings to look like

Brodano
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Hammer

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
OTHER:

Gio - Hamonic
Stone - Hanifin
Andersson - Brodie
Kulak

:sarcasm:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Bumping this. 2 preseason games left. Has anyone changed their mind based on what they've seen?

I'm thinking Andersson's guaranteed to be up. Kulak-Stone look terrible so far although I'm not sure we're going to trade any of them unless Vali or Kylington explode in the AHL

I'm still standing by that I think Valimaki is better served to be top pairing in the AHL for now. Time and experience are what he needs. Andersson is NHL ready and I'll be more than a little mad if he doesn't make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad