Status
Not open for further replies.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
futurcorerock said:
They probably wont -- this CBA is small-market friendly

Your next NHL dynasty will be the Nashville Predators

This CBA won't have dynastys. The Lightning could be, but not when they have to lose 2 of their big 4 from their Cup win.

the teams near the top (say top 10 the year before) will load up in the offseason and go for the Cup the next year. One will win, possibly the one with the hottest goalie in the playoffs, and then that team will probably fall apart over the next couple of years as its players became too good to still be cheap.

IMO, of course.

I just don't see dynastys happening, not with the turnover in players and all the increased parity. Only one team out of 30 can win, the odds of it being the same team 4 years out of 5 or 6 is extremely unlikely.

Ogopogo*

futurcorerock said:
They probably wont -- this CBA is small-market friendly

Your next NHL dynasty will be the Nashville Predators

??????????

It's all market friendly. The same rules apply to all teams.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Injektilo said:
This CBA won't have dynastys. The Lightning could be, but not when they have to lose 2 of their big 4 from their Cup win.

the teams near the top (say top 10 the year before) will load up in the offseason and go for the Cup the next year. One will win, possibly the one with the hottest goalie in the playoffs, and then that team will probably fall apart over the next couple of years as its players became too good to still be cheap.

IMO, of course.

I just don't see dynastys happening, not with the turnover in players and all the increased parity. Only one team out of 30 can win, the odds of it being the same team 4 years out of 5 or 6 is extremely unlikely.

BINGO. Detroit (and to an extent New Jersey) will forever be the last dynasty in the NHL, unless the CBA changes.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Eh, i wouldn't even consider detroit a dynasty, but that's another topic...

I think this CBA will have the effect of making the best teams a little worse and the worst teams a little better. I don't mean any team in particular, but simply that the best 6 teams this upcoming season won't be as good as the best 6 teams of say 5 years ago. Or last season or 10 years ago. And the worst six teams of this season will be better teams than the worst six teams of anytime in the last ten seasons.

It might not show in the standings at the end of this season, given that there will be no more ties (though I think there will be more shootouts and OT games than anyone predicts), but the overall skill level between the bottom and top teams will be much smaller than ever before.

waterloo eh? you go to school here or live here?

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
To have a chance at a dynasty under a cap, a team obviously has to have excellent scouting/drafting.

The cap doesn't preclude a dynasty, but it is definitely harder to achieve. It will require that an organization adhere to org principles at all times. The problem for teams is that the marketplace is dictating overpayment for the very top talent. A few principles that will probably become guidelines follow:

1. Do not draft or trade for award winners. Compose a team completely of very good team players. A dynasty cannot afford more than about 12.5% of cap space for an individual player and remain a dynasty.

2. Distribute ice-time so no individual player can claim substantially more credit than others for a good finish. Goalie-tandems may become the new thing.

3. Pay fairly so as not to alienate a player/agent, but do not overpay. Always trade players who make excessive contract demands or allow them to walk at UFA. Overpayment will encourage others on the team to demand more.

4. Keep the prospect pool deep with prospects knowing that anyone who performs will make it to the big show (no favoritism). Prospects should challenge vets for spots every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->