What will happen with Michalek?

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I would love it if Michalek could find his game - but he hasn't given me a reason to believe that's going to happen in a long time. His hands going on him is the inexplicable part to me. Like I get if your knees are done, your skating declines. If your back or shoulder have issues, you're probably not going to be as physical. But Michalek is still fast, still finishes checks, and as much as people hate on him for his hockey sense he's still reliable defensively - but the guy has hands like Chris Phillips now. Actually, worse than Phillips as of late, he can't even take a pass clean. Maybe it's something between the ears and he can work through it, but I have serious doubts that'll happen.

spezza111*

Some of the love for Michalek is astonishing, this guy is TERRIBLE. He had 1 good season and after than he's been pure trash. Either hurt, or soft on the puck or plain inconsistent. In addition, I don't think he's a top 6 player anymore with all the knee issues. He consistently losing his balance and losing puck battles.

Personally I would trade him now while his value is high. For the love of all that's mighty DO NOT RESIGN HIM.

Amen

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I am a pretty big Michalek fan, but I think I would let him go if Zib can transition to wing, Conacher can become a consistent producer, or we have another prospect break out like Stone and produce. With his salary, and if Philly retires, we will have like 7 mil to spend this summer.

If our defense remains a liability like this year I wouldn't mind picking up someone like Boyle or Girardi for 5ish mil and using the rest for raises for Conacher, Gryba, and Lehner.

Another probably unrealistic option is replacing Milo with a different forward like Gaborik, Cammalleri, Vanek, etc. which would be awesome.

spezza111*

It's pretty obvious that Michalek is purposely not being punished for his terrible effort.
He is the problem with line 1 yet the other wing is a constant revolving door.

They want to pad his stats as much as they can so they can trade him at some point

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's pretty obvious that Michalek is purposely not being punished for his terrible effort.
He is the problem with line 1 yet the other wing is a constant revolving door.

They want to pad his stats as much as they can so they can trade him at some point

Or maybe they're giving him every opportunity because he's shown that he is the only Senator not named Bobby Ryan that can a legitimate top line winger.

No team in it's right mind is going to hurt it's own chances at winning games to try to trade a player

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Or maybe they're giving him every opportunity because he's shown that he is the only Senator not named Bobby Ryan that can a legitimate top line winger.

No team in it's right mind is going to hurt it's own chances at winning games to try to trade a player

I worded that poorly. I meant that he's the only Senator that has proven he can put up first line numbers, not that other Senators don't have the potential to produce at the same level.

THe pickings are pretty slim on the Senators wing

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Without his speed, he is just another plugger and he has lost a major step. I now he wanted to avoid surgery but he can't pull away from anyone

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Really? So when he caught a player on a half break away what was that? Michalek being slow? He has not lost a step, what he has lost is any offensive instinct.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Right now his value is close to zilch, come trade deadline time who knows ? Teams have scouts and it's not pretty everyone wants to get great players in exchange for their own under performing players.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Right now his value is close to zilch, come trade deadline time who knows ? Teams have scouts and it's not pretty everyone wants to get great players in exchange for their own under performing players.

Pretty much. Michalek's injury concerns and his status as a ufa limit his value, unless he has a big season for the Sens. But if he is on a 20-30 goal pace come the deadline, why would the sens trade him anyway unless they're out of the playoff picture?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He lost his explosiveness. Still an average skater, so not slow.

most of those goals are the same. blow down the outside, cut to the middle, snipe/backhand.
too bad he can't do that anymore

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Whats the recovery time on the procedure he got in the summer? Obviously he can play on it but im assuming its not 100% yet.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Trade him for whatever you can get at the deadline and sign a UFA for the same price during the summer (4-5M).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad