What will happen with Michalek?

JSSSTP

Jun 7, 2013
Ottawa
This is probably a little premature, but I'm just really curious as to what other Sens fans are thinking. He's a 30ish goal scorer when healthy, but can he stay healthy? Will he get resigned (more or less $$), traded, hit free agency?
Again, just curious as to what the rest of you think, cause I'm really not sure. Thanks!

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
He will get sent to his new home by the end of the season:
0-GarbageDump.jpg

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I really want to resign him,
We will basically be looking for another top line winger again if he leaves.

sensfandan

Aug 21, 2004
Ottawa
Considering our budget, I really think it's extremely unlikely Michalek returns to Ottawa next year. Our dollars are a precious commodity, and we can't afford to be giving out risky contracts. If Michalek is willing to sign a short term, 1-2 year contract to prove he can be a healthy and productive player, than yes I can see him staying. If I'm Milan however, I'd be very wary about my career perhaps being over sooner rather than later, and I might be looking to cash in one last time.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Trade him at the deadline, even if we're in a playoff spot. Not like he shows up for the playoffs anyways.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
trade him, trade him now.
maybe phx is interested, could give us that 2nd pairing Dman we're missing.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Look at what Ottawa shelled out for Bobby Ryan under the guise of getting a 30+ goal scorer. Aside from it being out of Bryan Murray's control as a result of a budget, is he really going to let Michalek walk?

If possible, Ottawa will sign Michalek before he tests the market. If Michalek puts up 30+ this year, somebody is going to be willing to pay him very attractive money on the open market.

Anderson will be traded on draft day, or in the off season, freeing up enough for Lehner's "bridge" deal, and a back up goalie.

Even if Ottawa pays Michalek slightly more, and gives larger contracts to Conacher and Gryba, the salary cap going up (supposedly tied to league revenue) will make it that next year's salary is almost equally as close to the minimum salary cap as this year.

Otherwise, the Sens have Phillips, who given his age and role, I would assume would not be getting much bigger deal. They also have a few less than significant guys.

It's the year after that is going to be tough if they have a hashtaginternalbudget.

The biggest victory won't be whether they re-sign Michalek or not. It will be whether or not they can sign him to the right terms in order to make him a movable asset two or so years down the road if they need the cap space.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Sure he's given us 4 years of playing with his heart on his sleeve every night, dealing with unending criticism as he was expected to fill Heatley's 50G shoes, and playing with a broken knee. "Thank you for your faithful service and don't let the doorknob hit you in the ass on the way out."

John Holmes*

Welcome to pro sports.

How about straight up for Heatley at the deadline :)

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Don't cry for Michalek - with the cap going up next year someone will overpay him with too much term. Not a chance his agent is willing to take a short term, below market deal from us. He'll test free agency. At the same time, though, if this team is contending after the Olympic break and he is contributing, I don't want to see him traded for a second rounder and a bag of pucks. Keep him for the playoff run...

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
He likes it in Ottawa and has a lot of close friends on the team. (I think Karlsson was either his best man, or at least was in the wedding party)

I expect him to re-sign for less money unless he has a massive year. (which at this point doesn't look likely, but who knows.)

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Welcome to pro sports.

How about straight up for Heatley at the deadline :)

Hey, Dany Heatley finally scored his 1st of the season last night... An empty netter at that, still can't believe we avoided that train wreck. Imagine the team today if he was still playing here and eating up 7.5 M of our cap!

Dodged a bullet on that one.

As far as Michalek goes, I say the Sens add a replacement at the deadline and let Milan walk in the summer. His knee is too risky long term but it would be nice to load up for the playoff drive.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Unless he turns his play around I'd like to see him traded rather than see him walk.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
If we are a playoff team he will walk in the summer or he will have his rights traded ala Gonchar.

Too valuable to lose for this season but too often injured to commit to long term, especially for a budget team.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I'd like to see more than 10 games before making rash decisions, then again Milan hasn't had a very good start.

Doubt he is resigned and position is filled with a good young player.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
He's one of four forwards we have that have ever had a 50+ point season, and only one of three that have topped 30 goals. He's not the prettiest player but he gets the job done. People want to replace him with a young player - we don't have anyone that is capable of replacing his production, at least not yet.

He's also fairly cheap for what he produces, 4.3 is really not that bad. And with his injury trouble he's unlikely to get a huge deal from someone. I have no idea what will happen with him but its weird how little respect he gets and how people want to just dump him for whatever we can get. Even this season he hasn't been amazing but has 5 pts in 9 games.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
He's a good player, but he'll likely get more in the open market than Ottawa can afford.

If we're heading to the playoffs, I don't see him being traded. He fills a role as important as any on our team. If we're outside by a large margin, he will be traded, no question.

I'd like to see him re-signed if he's willing to take a discount, but if it's outside our budget I don't see a solution other than losing him for nothing and hoping he can take us deep in the playoffs.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
He's too risky. Guy has bad knees but relies on speed and strength. At 4 mil he might be worth the risk but if he wants anything close to the 6 mil hes making this year we should let him walk and sign another UFA winger.

His ability to over power defencemen with his strength and speed 1 on 1 was what made him great but so far i havent seen any of that this season. It could be because spezza is shooting more though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->