Speculation: What will happen with big 2019 UFAs?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
See above.
Provide a source for what? It's pretty uncommon for Chicago to just dump salary without paying a decent premium, which is what you're suggesting they'll do without much effort. Also you seem to have pretty good faith in Chicago's depth being able to fill literally half the roster though internal development in the very immediate future, even though Chicago currently boasts a pretty raw prospect cabinet.

I couldn't be bothered going too in depth into this argument as I have no real interest in the Chicago Blackhawks, but a team with a $60m payroll next season with only half of its forward group signed adding a $9m player is very clearly going to be a significant issue in both the short and long term. Especially when you consider two of those six forwards signed are on their ELCs. Inflation is going to kick Chicago's ass just like it has over the past decade.

I don't doubt they're looking at bringing Panarin back, but it'll take more than a couple deck chair shuffles to add that kind of cap into their long-term payroll. And if they can find a way to move Seabrook's contract without hurting themselves too much, I would imagine that's probably their preferred arrangement.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Not sure I understand how LA can afford a $10 million player unless they trade away a bunch of their current core...

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What do you think will happen with these 6 soon to be UFAs?

My guesses

Karlsson: Tampa or NYR
Stone: Stays in Ottawa
Seguin: Stays in Dallas
Panarin: Chicago, LA, NYR
Eberle: Stays in NYI
Duchene: Nashville

Karlsson to Tampa
Stone to NYI
Seguin stays in Dallas
Panarin to Chicago
Eberle to New Jersey
Duchene to Vegas

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Karlsson: Philly
Duchene: Chicago
Stone: Vegas
Seguin: Stays
Panarin: Tampa
Eberle: Stays

Seriously though, my guess is that there will be a ton of teams with cap space and these guys will opt to go to teams that look very good long term.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
What do you think will happen with these 6 soon to be UFAs?

My guesses

Karlsson: Tampa or NYR
Stone: Stays in Ottawa
Seguin: Stays in Dallas
Panarin: Chicago, LA, NYR
Eberle: Stays in NYI
Duchene: Nashville

NYR will not be in on Karlsson. Panarin I can see. I would not call Eberle a big UFA. I could see Duchene for the NYI to slide in the second center spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->