Speculation: What will Canes do at deadline?

What will Canes do at deadline?

• Total voters

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
So we are supposed to be in on Brassard

Not sure if you are just stating or sourcing based on quote/article.

Brassard is the only "top-6 playmaking C" (aka what Peters asked for) that is widely reported to be available. Which is a double-edged sword as being the only C makes it far more likely that an actual contender will pay more for him than Francis will.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Well contenders will likely want to give up only futures. We may be more inclined to give up something more immediately useful.

I like Brassard but I’m not convinced he’s a long term answer.

Agreed. Brassard is fine, but I wouldn't be overly thrilled with it, especially if they overpaid, which they would I'm sure. I don't know if he moves the needle enough, but I don't watch him play, just judging based on his stat sheet.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well contenders will likely want to give up only futures. We may be more inclined to give up something more immediately useful.

I like Brassard but I’m not convinced he’s a long term answer.
Ideally he's a #2 guy to me, but that's a far cry better then both Rask and Ryan have been here so far this year. If they'd be willing to build a package around say Fleury or Goat then I'd absolutely make the move.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So... make a move for Brassard now, then park a Brinks truck outside Tavares' house this summer until he agrees on a price? That would be a major power move by Dundon and could completely shoot us up the standings next year.

Might be worth it to try.

Mrazek had a stint where he was the starting goalie and played 83 games over 2 seasons at a .920 sv% . He's shown he can be good when he doesn't have a dumpster fire of a team in front of him like he does now. And like Tarheel said, we gotta just start churning through goalies until one clicks. We can't go a whole season praying that Darling works, and we can't afford to go through that same process all over again next season. Let's get a step ahead in the process and bring a new guy in now to trial.

Yeah, this was the exact kind of move I wanted the Canes to make. Take a guy who has had success elsewhere as a legitimate #1 starter and see if he can't regain that form behind a good defense. I know its a different sport, but the Eagles built their Super Bowl team this year by taking a bunch of guys who were either drafted high or had success early in their careers who had fallen on tough times recently. Trusted they had skill that just needed to be brought out, and they went from a horrible team 2 years ago under Chip Kelly to Super Bowl champions. Mrazek fits that kind of mold and could have been the answer we needed. He reminds me a bit of how Bobrovsky came in hot, cooled off a bit, and then blossomed when he moved to CBJ.

Last edited:

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I'm all for a Brassard, assuming there is a bigger get in the summer. having him play 1C leaves us essentially in the same place.

I'm all for selling off the "clutter"...Ryan, Stempniak, Jooris, Kruger, even Rask (because I dont see him being part of a team that is capable of anything meaningful). Lets see the guys in charlotte, that way Dundon can be a more educated buyer come this summer.

I still can't get over Peters playing Wallmark 4:29 the other day...that is mind boggling. You can't tell me he isn't better than Rask and Ryan. I'll just never believe that.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm all for a Brassard, assuming there is a bigger get in the summer. having him play 1C leaves us essentially in the same place.

I'm all for selling off the "clutter"...Ryan, Stempniak, Jooris, Kruger, even Rask (because I dont see him being part of a team that is capable of anything meaningful). Lets see the guys in charlotte, that way Dundon can be a more educated buyer come this summer.

I still can't get over Peters playing Wallmark 4:29 the other day...that is mind boggling. You can't tell me he isn't better than Rask and Ryan. I'll just never believe that.
We're talking about the same coach who put Ryan out there for a crucial faceoff with 1 minute to go in OT in a must-win game. Personnel decisions aren't his strong suit.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Mrazek is pretty inconsistent, I’m not jealous of that move. It would just create more clutter for us. If we knew what we were doing with Darling I’d be more inclined to be in on Mrazek.

His version of being bad is better than Darlings. I can’t argue with that.

The games I saw of Mrazek I was a big fan of his potential. By inconsistent can he have more than 1 good game in 7?

Big reach but I see him as Bob 2.0

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
What would the sens want for Brassard? I think him not being a pure rental is probably worth a lot to the canes, and the sens probably want long term control of whatever assets they pick up. Just having another real life NHL center would be big for the canes to have a real playoff push and to build around next year.
So I read a couple of days ago that the asking price was a 1st, a roster player, and a prospect. When I saw that, I thought “huh?” I’m a SENS fan, I like Brassard, but his best characteristic is that he’s a big-game player (Big Game Brass was his NYR nickname). He doesn’t dominate the stat sheet. He’s .... He’s ok. Like someone said, a hell of a lot better than Rask or Ryan. But if I’m the Canes, i don’t know that he’s the guy.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Didn't realize his contract was that front heavy due to bonuses... but then again he was signed to that extension by the Rangers so that should have been a given. But yeah, with him making 3 instead of 5 Melnyk would veto that idea in a second sadly.
Yes, when we traded for him, we gave up a 2nd round pick so that the Rangers would pay the $2 million bonus attached to his contract. You guys think Karmanos was bad...lol. Take a look at what’s going on in Ottawa.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The games I saw of Mrazek I was a big fan of his potential. By inconsistent can he have more than 1 good game in 7?

Big reach but I see him as Bob 2.0
I just think it was moot even before the trade. We’re not paying three goalies. The Darling situation has to be figured out so there’s no point fussing about Mrazek. He was never coming here. Holland just said this morning there wasn’t a goalie market, not many teams even sniffed. We’re obviously in financial common sense mode.

Wasted time hand wringing over goalies. We have our two for the moment.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yes, when we traded for him, we gave up a 2nd round pick so that the Rangers would pay the $2 million bonus attached to his contract. You guys think Karmanos was bad...lol. Take a look at what’s going on in Ottawa.

Yeah, that ownership situation in Ottawa is brutal.

How are they going to afford Duchene then S1C2? Or do you think they'll find a way to offload some salary between now and then. In your view, are they really looking to move Karlsson and Hoffman? Or is that just media trying to drum up interest?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
We know the Sens are looking to offload some cash and start a rebuild, and there are rumors about Karlsson being packaged with Ryan and us talking to them about Brassard. Add to that we need some help that aren't rentals and Dundon wants to make a splash. What about:

Canes: Karlsson, Brassard, Ryan
Sens: 2018 1st, 2019 2nd (conditional on Karlsson resigning), Rask, Faulk, Gauthier

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
We know the Sens are looking to offload some cash and start a rebuild, and there are rumors about Karlsson being packaged with Ryan and us talking to them about Brassard. Add to that we need some help that aren't rentals and Dundon wants to make a splash. What about:

Canes: Karlsson, Brassard, Ryan
Sens: 2018 1st, 2019 2nd (conditional on Karlsson resigning), Rask, Faulk, Gauthier

Keep dreaming, this ain't NHL18. But I would do this in a heartbeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad