What went wrong?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Simply not true, we have some of the best puck possession players in the league as well as a plethora of speedy players.
Dump-and-chase and puck possession are arguably not compatible, especially if you're not winning the battles for the puck, which are generally physical. Speed can give you an edge in the race for the puck, but the OPFOR are going to finish their checks in the playoffs.

Trapping can benefit less talented teams, but it can (and will) benefit talented teams as well. The Devils weren't in the cup contender category for years because they had the least talented guys. Lemaire got the trap concept from having played for Scotty Bowman in Montreal during their peak in the '70s (They won 5 cups in those years).

Of course, Bowman in Detroit is more associated with the Left Wing Lock, which is similar to the trap.

edit:

Last edited:

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
  • Vasy was pedestrian.
  • We had a few key defensive injuries.
  • The team hadn't been challenged for weeks and couldn't adjust.
  • Cooper couldn't flick the switch for these guys.
  • Kucherov and Stamkos disappeared.
  • Point cost himself lots of money

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think Point cost himself any money. Maybe if arbitration were an option. But with all the rumors about offer sheets floating around, he can hold us over a barrel if he wants. I just doubt he wants to. Hopefully it gets done soon so we don't have to wonder about offer sheets all summer.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I don't think Point cost himself any money. Maybe if arbitration were an option. But with all the rumors about offer sheets floating around, he can hold us over a barrel if he wants. I just doubt he wants to. Hopefully it gets done soon so we don't have to wonder about offer sheets all summer.
Regarding the “hopefully it gets done soon” part, when should we expect the deal to get done? I don’t really pay attention to that part of the game so I have no idea. When does it HAVE to be done by (which may be easier to answer)? I came here today to ask about that and didn’t know how or where to bring it up, so thanks for giving me a way to ask.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Regarding the “hopefully it gets done soon” part, when should we expect the deal to get done? I don’t really pay attention to that part of the game so I have no idea. When does it HAVE to be done by (which may be easier to answer)? I came here today to ask about that and didn’t know how or where to bring it up, so thanks for giving me a way to ask.
It only *has* to be done by December 1, 2019. TB would still keep the rights, but he wouldn't be in the NHL next season in such a scenario.

Remember William Nylander.

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It only *has* to be done by December 1, 2019. TB would still keep the rights, but he wouldn't be in the NHL next season in such a scenario.

Remember William Nylander.

Yeah.

I believe he becomes a RFA on July 1, so that's when offer sheets become a possibility. As unlikely as offer sheets are, Point is a likelier target than most, given how rare true franchise centers are.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah.

I believe he becomes a RFA on July 1, so that's when offer sheets become a possibility. As unlikely as offer sheets are, Point is a likelier target than most, given how rare true franchise centers are.
The only caveat I would give (and this is because LoSTRaMaiR said they don't pay attention to that part of the game, and we may have lurkers who are new) is that Point, as well as the other impending RFAs, need to receive a qualifying offer from the team in order for the Lightning to keep their exclusive negotiating rights.

If they don't have a deal signed before the QO deadline, TB would have to officially offer a one-year contract for 715k. Otherwise, Point becomes a UFA.

Brayden Point Qualifying Offer Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Now that I'm not as angry, I want to point out in the GDT of the last game of the season where we were awarded the President's trophy, I said we were going to lose because Stammer touched the trophy.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
the athletic article says the most likely option is a 3-5 year deal done before july 1st. im thinking like 5 years at 7.5 per, which then allows him to get 2 large paydays in his prime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad