What went wrong with Jack Campbell?

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
Lack of goalie coaching in AHL. We have heard that G coaches didn't have time to train AHL goalies. Now the situation should be better.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Read something in DBD :

"Campbell and Subban had the same problems: they had awful positioning and a trouble tracking the puck.

They succeeded in junior because they had lightning-quick reflexes and were able to successfully scramble for pucks in the crease. The problem is that these abilities alone don’t work nearly as well in the NHL because skaters can pull goalies out of position and pick holes in their form. They need to have proper form and technique.

Go back and watch highlights of Campbell from the World Juniors the year he got drafted. He flopped around the crease like a fish. That was never ironed out of his game, because even to this day he over-commits to shots and pulls himself out of position.

Which brings me to my next point: goalie development. Goalies need more time and attention to develop properly, including more time with goalie coaches. This is something that has only been fully realized over the last few years. I don’t remember the exact details, but I remember reading once about how Campbell did not get enough development attention and support from the Stars after they picked him.

Oettinger has the skill combination that most NHL goalies have: size, reflexes, technique/form and composure. He had access to awesome goalie coaches with the USNTDP. He’ll also have them with the Stars: not just Jeff Reese, but also their new goalie development coach, Jim Bednard.

I hope that explains things. Goalie scouting and development have come a long way in the last 2-3 years. If you don’t pay close attention to scouting, you likely wouldn’t have noticed these changes because the impact hasn’t reached the NHL yet, but things have been changing a lot lately.
Posted by Derek Neumeier "

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Read something in DBD :

"Campbell and Subban had the same problems: they had awful positioning and a trouble tracking the puck.

They succeeded in junior because they had lightning-quick reflexes and were able to successfully scramble for pucks in the crease. The problem is that these abilities alone don’t work nearly as well in the NHL because skaters can pull goalies out of position and pick holes in their form. They need to have proper form and technique.

Go back and watch highlights of Campbell from the World Juniors the year he got drafted. He flopped around the crease like a fish. That was never ironed out of his game, because even to this day he over-commits to shots and pulls himself out of position.

Which brings me to my next point: goalie development. Goalies need more time and attention to develop properly, including more time with goalie coaches. This is something that has only been fully realized over the last few years. I don’t remember the exact details, but I remember reading once about how Campbell did not get enough development attention and support from the Stars after they picked him.

Oettinger has the skill combination that most NHL goalies have: size, reflexes, technique/form and composure. He had access to awesome goalie coaches with the USNTDP. He’ll also have them with the Stars: not just Jeff Reese, but also their new goalie development coach, Jim Bednard.

I hope that explains things. Goalie scouting and development have come a long way in the last 2-3 years. If you don’t pay close attention to scouting, you likely wouldn’t have noticed these changes because the impact hasn’t reached the NHL yet, but things have been changing a lot lately.
Posted by Derek Neumeier "
i think its a good explanation. id also add he really was overhyped in general from a few good tournaments. otherwise his stats never were particularly impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad