what went wrong for Canada at the 2013 WJC?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Canada won against USA and Russia but didn't really play well in doing so. Notably, Spott's tactics and how he had the team playing were ripped, especially the overuse of Ryan Murphy. Nugent-Hopkins got hurt, his wrist I think, by the time the elimination games rolled around, though it wouldn't have made a difference. In the end, the team was eliminated by an American team that soundly outplayed it in the game that mattered.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Major points were hit above

Ryan Murphy, Steve Spott

Americans were good

Team didn't gel

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Spott was the worst coach I’ve ever seen. He didn’t even give a motivational speech before the US game, because he wanted to keep the team’s approach the same. Yeah, the same as the preliminary round. Good thinking, Steve! :shakehead

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll add, Spott's usage of MacKinnon was ripped as well. Fourth line and very limited minutes. He also utilized the vaunted two men behind the net powerplay.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
That semi is my favorite junior game ever. I’m not sure anything specific “went wrong” for Canada....Gaudreau, Trouba, and Gibson were nasty.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
US was just the superior team.

I dont even remember Subban having a poor game, starting Binnington wouldnt have changed the outcome of the game

Subban was yanked against the US in the SF. Binnington
came in and allowed maybe a goal

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That semi is my favorite junior game ever. I’m not sure anything specific “went wrong” for Canada....Gaudreau, Trouba, and Gibson were nasty.

Greatest Jr Gold for US as all NHL Jr players were
available due to strike. Ranks #3 on greatest US
hockey titles ever.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That US team was loaded on D and in net, and Canada had no answer for Johnny Gaudreau. Once they gelled they were pretty much unbeatable.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
nothing went wrong. Lost to a good team. good team losing to another good team. It's like asking what went wrong with San Jose? well they lost to a good team in round 3.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Binnington doesn't make a difference in that tournament. Subban won the starting job justly and played pretty well. Canada's goaltending issues were mainly prominent from 2009-2012.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
The Americans soundly outplayed us and there's no shame in that.

On the Canadian side, the coaching (Spott) was obviously a huge fail. Looking back on that roster, the top half of the forward group looks strong in retrospect and was considered a very strong group at the time. A lot of the offence went through Nugent-Hopkins, but I seem to remember him struggling to find chemistry with his wingers and his production dried up as the games got more important. Future NHL stars like Huberdeau and Scheifele struggled to generate offense. As was rightfully pointed out, MacKinnon was stapled to the bench. Jenner, out defensive anchor, was suspended for several games and the remainder of our bottom six was comprised of questionable picks that performed poorly, which made MacKinnon's limited ice time even more frustrating.

The defense was a mediocre group overall. In a situation that would repeat itself with Dave Lowry a few years later, Spott gave his Kitchener captain, Ryan Murphy, a huge amount of ice time and Murphy failed to deliver. Reilly played behind Murphy, which was another source of aggravation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->