Music: What was your first album and on what medium?

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
va_the_beavis_and_butthead_experience_cassette_1507166395_5b829eff0

This was back in ‘94

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I consider mine to be Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet on cassette. That was the first actual album that I bought, myself. I had some records and cassettes before that, but they were more kids songs and storybooks, not really "albums," per se.

Now that I think of it I had a Fischer Price turntable and a Star was 7" album that came with a read along book. Technically that would have been my first album I think.

maxresdefault.jpg

That was my favorite storybook and I had it on record, as well. I loved it and played it over and over. 7 years ago, I made a video and uploaded it to YouTube so that people could bathe in nostalgia without needing a record or cassette player:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I had a bunch of those readalong cassettes and storybooks.

Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, E.T., the Dark Crystal, the Black Hole.

Unfortunately, my brother and I recorded over one of them using our cassette player so right during one of the penultimate moments you hear our giggling voices.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Now that I think of it I had a Fischer Price turntable and a Star was 7" album that came with a read along book. Technically that would have been my first album I think.

maxresdefault.jpg

That was my favorite storybook and I had it on record, as well. I loved it and played it over and over. 7 years ago, I made a video and uploaded it to YouTube so that people could bathe in nostalgia without needing a record or cassette player.

Awesome. I also had this book and record, along with one for "The Empire Strikes Back" (I felt too old to buy ROTJ at the time, even though I wanted it). Lots of Charlie Brown book and records on hand, too. These had high replay value. I still have them all in storage.

There was a holy grail full-length LP called "The Story of Star Wars". My next-door neighbor briefly had a copy and was I envious. My recollection is that it was a straight edit of the film. I assume there was narration in between the dialogue (not sure). I'm certain it used original cast voices. I salivated over having a copy for myself but never found one in local stores.

Just found this reference online:
StoryStarWarsLP.jpg

Retro Retail: The 1977 "Story of Star Wars" LP recording that rocked the galaxy | Inside the Magic

....it used audio tracks directly from the feature film, including actor’s dialogue, score and sound effects.....

This 50-minute adaptation of “Star Wars” was split into two segments. Side A of the LP contained part one with 25:19 minutes of audio and part two played for another 25:02 on side B. Originally released on 20th Century Fox Records, additional LP releases were printed by Buena Vista Records–all available in the same year of the movie’s first release.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
The first first one I bought with my own money that I earned was Boogie Down Productions - Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop on cassette. I bought it from a friend.

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
I had a bunch of those readalong cassettes..
Unfortunately, my brother and I recorded over one of them using our cassette player so right during one of the penultimate moments you hear our giggling voices.

I remember those days before downloadable singles. If there was a song on the radio u wanted, u had to set a tape recorder next to the speaker.. and there was inevitably background noise (parents talking, doors creaking, etc). It was rare to get a clean take.
Going thru this thread, I'm surprised how old this forum skews (?) Guys talking about K-tel records, etc. I feel relatively young now, always assumed HF was overwhelmingly guys in their 20s/early 30s.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I remember those days before downloadable singles. If there was a song on the radio u wanted, u had to set a tape recorder next to the speaker.. and there was inevitably background noise (parents talking, doors creaking, etc). It was rare to get a clean take.

Yep, I vividly remember setting my radio on top of the tape recorder, waiting for the station to play Livin' on a Prayer and then rushing to the record button. I then listened to the recording over and over until I finally bought the album (my first, as I noted earlier).

Going thru this thread, I'm surprised how old this forum skews (?) Guys talking about K-tel records, etc. I feel relatively young now, always assumed HF was overwhelmingly guys in their 20s/early 30s.

I'm pretty sure that that's still true about HF skewing overwhelmingly to the 20s, give or take a few years. I just think that this particular topic probably attracts more older folks who have stronger feelings about albums than those who grew up in the digital era. For example, if your first album was downloaded with BitTorrent or from iTunes, you may not have as much to say or be nostalgic about as someone who rode his bike down to a music store and paid cash for an album on physical media. Even my generation, which grew up mainly on cassettes, probably doesn't have quite the same level of appreciation as the older generation that grew up solely with vinyl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Babe Ruth

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yep, I vividly remember setting my radio on top of the tape recorder and specifically remember recording Livin' on a Prayer. I must've then proceeded to listen to it over and over until I finally bought the album.

I'm pretty sure that that's still true about HF skewing overwhelmingly to the 20s, give or take a few years. I just think that this particular topic probably attracts more older folks who have stronger feelings about albums than those who grew up in the digital era. For example, if your first album was downloaded with BitTorrent or from iTunes, you may not have as much to say as someone who rode his bike down to a music store and paid cash for an album on physical media. Even my generation, which grew up mainly on cassettes, probably doesn't have quite the same level of appreciation as the older generation that grew up solely with vinyl.
Kids don't buy records anymore, they rent songs.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
cant remember which i got first, but its either

Kris Kross - Totally Krossed Out on cassette
MC Hammer - Please Hammer Dont Hurt Em on cassette

not going to try to sound cool by naming some album I got as a teenager, got this when I was 8 and played the hell out of it

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Kim Carnes "Mistaken Identity" on cassette.

Second was Blondie "Greatest Hits" also on cassette.

First 45 was "Gloria" by Laura Branigan and I'm not a Blues fan.

My Best-Carey

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
First album I ever owned, I received as a gift for my seventh birthday (1979) - Supertramp - Breakfast in America.
still holds up as one of my favourite albums of all time.

first album I ever purchased on my own was the next year - Queen - The Game.
Another fantastic album.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Michael Jackson- Beat it...I was a kid, it was a record. Mid-1980s. That's all I remember

Beat It was a song on the Thriller album. It sounds like you may've just had the single of that song, rather than the whole album.

220px-Beat_It_by_Michael_Jackson_US_7-inch_vinyl_Side-A.png

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I was only around 9 years old, in the early 70s.
I didn't know what music I liked, but I knew that I didn't like the Osmonds (which is about all my older sister listened to).
I bought this album (on vinyl):
f5e5b778837b1b38d6b63574286be15e.jpg

A couple years later, I discovered rock n roll.

member 51464

Very good album.. Not the One was an underrated song from this one, I think most ppl just remember the big singles..
You think? As far as I know, it's still the best selling album from an indie record. Like ever.

I know I have to listen to it start to finish anytime I hear anything from it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad