What was Lemieux/Bourque thinking about when they watched the '96 World Cup?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
What do you think Lemieux and Bourque were thinking about when they watched the '96 World Cup and so Canada lose? Bourque as usual skipped out on the tournament and Lemieux while he was having back trouble missed it as well despite being the best in the world at the time and the fact that he came back for another season with Pittsburgh. Do you think they regretted it? With those two in there Canada doenst lose a game. Kariya, MacInnis, Francis and Roy were either injured or didnt receive an invite but what do you think the guys that chose not to come thought of the loss?

Also what was Patrick Roy's thinking when he realized that Canada could win the Gold medal in '02 without him? Considering he "voluntarily" dropped out of the running.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Bourque, as usual?

He played for team Canada in 1981, 1984 and 1987's Canada Cup. He also played for the NHL all Stars in Rendezvous 87.

In 1996, at age 35, with a million hours of ice time under his belt (and bruises to match) he chose to concentrate upon the upcoming Boston season and upon spending time with his family.

Hopefully the family time turned out better than the Bruin's season did.

I think the whole national pride thing works better with kids in Junior than it does with grown men who have moved closer to another stage in their lives.

Somehow I don't think that having Blake, Stevens, Coffey, Niedermayer, Foote, Desjardins, etc was that huge a step backwards.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Bourque, as usual?

He played for team Canada in 1981, 1984 and 1987's Canada Cup. He also played for the NHL all Stars in Rendezvous 87.

In 1996, at age 35, with a million hours of ice time under his belt (and bruises to match) he chose to concentrate upon the upcoming Boston season and upon spending time with his family.

I think the whole national pride thing works better with kids in Junior than it does with grown men who have moved closer to another stage in their lives.

Somehow I don't think that having Blake, Stevens, Coffey, Niedermayer, Foote, Desjardins, etc was that huge a step backwards.
You beat me to it.

Edit: But yeah, Doctorarc is right. Bourque was better than any other defenseman since Orr, and would have been a huge upgrade with his legendary outlet passes and sick offensive talent.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Bourque, as usual?

While I agree with your reasoning for Bourque not playing, I can't help but disagree with the "not a huge step backwards" part.

It's Ray Freaking Bourque. You don't think he'd have been quantum leap over Niedermayer in '96?

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
That I know of, Bourque only turned down Team Canada after age 32 and he only did it--when available--in 1993 (Worlds), 1996 (World Cup), and 1997 (Worlds).

Bourque was there for Team Canada at the 1998 Olympics. Everyone probably remembers that because he was picked for that infamous shootout.

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
What do you think Lemieux and Bourque were thinking about when they watched the '96 World Cup and so Canada lose? Bourque as usual skipped out on the tournament and Lemieux while he was having back trouble missed it as well despite being the best in the world at the time and the fact that he came back for another season with Pittsburgh. Do you think they regretted it? With those two in there Canada doenst lose a game. Kariya, MacInnis, Francis and Roy were either injured or didnt receive an invite but what do you think the guys that chose not to come thought of the loss?

I think even with Bourque and Lemieux the Americans still win, it was their tournament, almost their whole team was in it's prime and Richter was unbelievable.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
My reasoning about Bourque was this:

Would Canada have been a better team with Ray Bourque? Certainly.

Would his presence automatically make Canada the winner of the tourney? Not necessarily.

Canada didn't lose that tournament as much as the U.S. won it.

The U.S. forward contingent was at its peak in 1996 (certainly aided by Brett Hull and a very strong Adam Deadmarsh).

The difference in that tournament was goal scoring in the clutch, hello Brett Hull and Tony Amonte, and Mike Richter's superior play.

Yes, Ray Bourque (even the 35 year old version) would have been a huge asset, but the U.S. actually beat Canada once in the round robin and then 2/3 in the finals. That's pretty decisive.

lasainteflanelle*

roy always struck me as a seperatist. i think he only accepted being no1 in 1998 nagano for that reason...he was chosen as no1 and marty as backup. it was a competition thing rather than a national pride thing. along with some comments he's made during his younger years, i have the biography written by his father (which also happens to be under a very seperatist publishing company "libre expression" and was refused to translate it into english) and i dunno...that's just what i think. it's a very touchy subject here, people don't really randomly talk about their political views but i just get that feeling from him. so ya, i think he may have chosen not to come.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Mario missed the 96 cup due to his son didn't he?.

Correct me if I am wrong, but his son was born that year and had some complications and serious health issues that summer?.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
That I know of, Bourque only turned down Team Canada after age 32 and he only did it--when available--in 1993 (Worlds), 1996 (World Cup), and 1997 (Worlds).

Bourque was there for Team Canada at the 1998 Olympics. Everyone probably remembers that because he was picked for that infamous shootout.

Bourque turned down the '91 Canada Cup too

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
roy always struck me as a seperatist. i think he only accepted being no1 in 1998 nagano for that reason...he was chosen as no1 and marty as backup. it was a competition thing rather than a national pride thing. along with some comments he's made during his younger years, i have the biography written by his father (which also happens to be under a very seperatist publishing company "libre expression" and was refused to translate it into english) and i dunno...that's just what i think. it's a very touchy subject here, people don't really randomly talk about their political views but i just get that feeling from him. so ya, i think he may have chosen not to come.

Well... What would be the problem about that? A man has the right to think what he wants to...

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Well... What would be the problem about that? A man has the right to think what he wants to...

Not a problem but a possible explanation.

I dont think it's a separatist thing more like an ego thing. Ever since his youth Roy has rarely been the starter for Canada. Funnily enough in 1998 I think the arguement could be made that he didnt deserve to be the clearcut starter. While in 2002, I think he is far and away the man who should be the starter.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
They probably noted how ridiculously one-sided the team groupings were. 3 out of the tournaments' best three or four teams were pitted against each other in the North American group, with Russia, Canada, and the USA on one side (all of which made it to the semis), and only Sweden (from semifinal teams) in the infinitely weaker European group.

Russia (#3 in the NA group) ended up beating Finland (#2 in the Euro group) 5-0 in the crossover match, and that was with a minor leaguer in net!

Still, it was a very memorable tournament. The best in the world from all the great hockey nations.

John LeClair impressed me the most. Here are the top 10 scorers (courtesy of wiki):

Leading scorers
Rk Player GP G A Pts PIM

1 Brett Hull 7 7 4 11 4
2 John LeClair 7 6 4 10 6
3 Mats Sundin 4 4 3 7 4
4 Doug Weight 7 3 4 7 12
5 Wayne Gretzky 8 3 4 7 2
6 Brian Leetch 7 0 7 7 4
7 Paul Coffey 7 0 7 7 12
8 Keith Tkachuk 7 5 1 6 44
9 Theoren Fleury 8 4 2 6 8
10 Sergei Fedorov 5 3 3 6 2