Goalies: What type of pads do you use?

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Hey guys,

What type of pads does everyone use? Do you prefer a certain type?

I've always worn hybrid pads, but I was toying with the idea of getting butterfly pads next season.

Timomies

Sep 20, 2011
Warrior Ritual G2s. I had the first Rituals and they were really nice. And the G2's are even better. No complaints what so ever.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Hybrids. Don't like the feel of a pure butterfly pad. Maybe because I wear mine tighter than most, so a knee roll is absolutely neccessary. Vaughn velocity V3's are what I currently have.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
Hybrids. Don't like the feel of a pure butterfly pad. Maybe because I wear mine tighter than most, so a knee roll is absolutely neccessary. Vaughn velocity V3's are what I currently have.

What are the differences between knee rolls and flat faces and butterfly vs hybrid pads?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I've been using Bauer Reactor RX8s... Just got a pair of Reebok XLT Pro on clearance though and tried them for a game.

Definitely liking the single break vs double break. The new pads are a bit oversized but I can still move around nicely in them.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
What are the differences between knee rolls and flat faces and butterfly vs hybrid pads?

Knee rolls allow for more movement in the knee area while flat faces are more rigid.

Butterflies will have a single break or no break and a flat face and are a harder material with a more shallow leg panel to allow for "easier" rotation.

Hybrids are pretty much the opposite. A double break with softer material that will help stop rebounds from deflecting far and a deeper leg panel so you can get the pad tighter and it will move with you better.

I'm sure I missed stuff.

@Caeldan

Did you notice a big difference in 5 hole coverage with the single break?

Last edited:

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
I love my butterfly pads. I've been using Nike Bauer One95's the last 3-4 seasons since I came outta Jr & they're the best I've ever had on.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Knee rolls allow for more movement in the knee area while flat faces are more rigid.

Butterflies will have a single break or no break and a flat face and are a harder material with a more shallow leg panel to allow for "easier" rotation.

Hybrids are pretty much the opposite. A double break with softer material that will help stop rebounds from deflecting far and a deeper leg panel so you can get the pad tighter and it will move with you better.

I'm sure I missed stuff.

@Caeldan

Did you notice a big difference in 5 hole coverage with the single break?

Definitely.

Even when trying on in store, tried a couple that were similar brand (ie both Reebok) and sizing and the double break left at least a puck sized five hole on me when I drop down naturally.

The one downside to the pads I did get, is that since they were a little bit on the big size - need to figure out a way to make sure I don't miss the knee lifts when I go down (or at least make sure that the volleyball kneepads I wear don't slip/rotate to unprotect that spot). That happened once in my game yesterday with the new ones.

My rebound control was about the same, though I don't know if it was something that changed in my stance or if I was just a bit better on my game but my stick ended up being more involved in deflecting shots to the corners than usual on the low shots.

SenSaddest

Jan 31, 2015
currently custom bauer reactor 9000s 34+3 ( I have weird legs)
previously Bauer reactor 6000s 35+1
mckenney 870s custom 35+2
Bauer rx10s 35+1
Vaughn v3 33+1? ( I dont really remember the specs)
Itech rx9s? 32+1
tried ccm and hated the fit and the movement, will probably try 1s od1n when i get a chance, and yes , i am a bauer fanboy, but its more from how they've preformed for me compared to other

I've for sure began to change to more of a stiffer core butterfly type pad but something like ccm premier ala reebok is just too heavy and bulky

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Don't blame you for being a Bauer fanboy... The od1ns are such a sexy pad. I've got it narrowed down to the od1ns or subzero III's for my next pads and it's close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad