What to expect in shortened season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
I am very curious how this will all come together, because there is precious little time available.

Teams will not only have to get all of their players back in town from all over Europe, but they have to sign a boat load of free agents. There are some 400 Free agents available, and some teams only have 12 or 14 players under contract. How does all of this get done? Not to mention the restricted free agents that have to be dealt with under the new cap structure. This is going to be insanity at its best, and I for one can't wait.

I have heard the argument about how a 28 game season hurts the integrity of the season and ultimately cheapens the whole playoffs and Stanley cup being awarded. I think that this will be a crazy sprint to the finish. Every game will mean something, and every team will know that they have an excellent chance at making it to the post season. Put it this way...how many teams are usually fighting for a playoff spot with 28 games to go in the season? I just hope that they outline how they plan on handling the draft before they start the season, because teams will tank it if the traditional last overall gets 1st crack at Crosby.

Not to mention, the winner will still have to win 4 gruelling rounds in the playoffs. I think a win is a win, and if my team wins the cup, it will mean just as much to me as if they had played a full season.

How will the players who have not been playing do?
Will the 28 games act as a prolonged training camp?
How should the draft be run?

The big reason for why I want a season, regardless of how short or how phony, is simply to take stock of the game and the damage that this lockout has done. That way they can sell the game better, implement new rules, line up their advertisers, and programs on how to win back the fans, and the best part is they will be ready in September for a full training camp with a full season to follow.

To me it's a no brainer...you have to play now and you have to award the Cup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->