Confirmed with Link: What to do with Trouba? (UPD: 1y/5.5m arb award)

*IFF* Trouba asks for too much money, & you can't get full value in a trade - best option for Chevy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That’s kinda silly. Young teams become organically better each year and they got some valuable playoff experience to boot.

Take my comment in the context. There is no one move that can enable you to "go out and get the cup". There is no simple series of moves that can do that.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He is a significant piece that does help. I don’t love rentals but if we are going to rent why not one year of a top pairing RHD? We still retain the asset and can trade him the following off season so we are not talking about burning the asset we are talking about the delta between trading him now and trading him 12 months from now. The only people who are going to have a gauge on that “potential” spread are Chevy and his team.

I have stated if Chevy has a good deal then pull the trigger but if the value isn’t there then use the asset for one more season. We have a window here before Laine becomes a $9 million dollar man and Wheeler and Connor get raises so I look at this season as one of our best shots.

I was reacting to the part I bolded. " let’s go get a cup this year" I know you were just trying to inject a positive note but that expresses the underlying attitude that leads to the rental mania.

With Trouba, we are still in pretty good shape to make a run next year. Without him, not so much. Unless some trade can be made that makes up the loss in the short term.
I think we all recognize that is the less likely scenario. Certainly we will be weaker at RD if we move him. We might get stronger at C to offset the loss. But barring that our chances of contending are substantially reduced.

So I see the argument for splitting the remaining asset we have in Trouba. Get 1 more year and then trade him for a still strong return. But you and I both know that after the next playoffs we will see the argument being made that we should keep him another year for another run, even though it means losing him for nothing at the end.

Reactions: ps241

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I think it’s all about maximizing his worth and earnings in what is realistically a short albeit rewarding career financially. I think he is ok staying in Winnipeg but not “long-term” on this contract given through 5 seasons he has yet to be given the full reins as “the guy” on our blueline. I wouldn’t be surprised if Trouba wants 4 years max at 6.5-6.75 per AAV and the Jets are saying no way, we want at least 6 maybe 7 years if we’re investing/paying that amount of money in you. My hunch is Trouba is offering the Jets his 2 remaining RFA years (at 6 per) + 2 UFA years (at 7-7.5 per). I don’t think he wants to sign long-term when the Jets have not yet given him true PP time and opportunity ahead of Buff (and even Myers on the #2 unit). When you add in his strong 5v5 stats and add potential top minute PP time to that, you likely get a pretty productive dman and Trouba surely knows that. That = $$$.

My “guess” is Trouba is open to re-signing here but only for a short amount of time so he can maximize his true worth as a UFA at 28, sign a big UFA deal with a team of his choice, be it here or elsewhere. This allows him to be with this Jets core for their likely “best contending years”, be a big contributing piece and set himself up for a big financial reward for the last big pay day (contract) of his career in a destination of his choice.

At the end of he day he has yet to be “the guy” on our blueline and I don’t think he wants to sign long-term for 6-7 years at a rate that will likely end up being lesser than what his true worth and value will be al while giving up his “best years”. I think he’s betting on himself and his abilities and has full belief if/when he is “the guy” here that he will be worth top dollar and more than the Jets are currently wanting him for and offering. He hasn’t been “the guy” here yet and I’m sure the Jets are looking to take advantage of that if they can get him on a long-term deal.

Scheifele for example is a massive steal on his current contract and I don’t think Trouba is okay with that happening to him when he has yet been given full opportunity to the #1 dman on this team. Maybe he would re-sign here for 6-7 years but if that happens I think he wants to be paid for it, likely in the 7-8 AAV range, and I don’t think the Jets are okay with that amount right now. My bet is the Jets want Trouba ideally long-term for 5.5-6 if they can get that type of contract. Trouba is likely sitting there saying “no way”.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it’s all about maximizing his worth and earnings in what is realistically a short albeit rewarding career financially. I think he is ok staying in Winnipeg but not “long-term” on this contract given through 5 seasons he has yet to be given the full reins as “the guy” on our blueline. I wouldn’t be surprised if Trouba wants 4 years max at 6.5-6.75 per AAV and the Jets are saying no way, we want at least 6 maybe 7 years if we’re investing/paying that amount of money in you. My hunch is Trouba is offering the Jets his 2 remaining RFA years (at 6 per) + 2 UFA years (at 7-7.5 per). I don’t think he wants to sign long-term when the Jets have not yet given him true PP time and opportunity ahead of Buff (and even Myers on the #2 unit). When you add in his strong 5v5 stats and add potential top minute PP time to that, you likely get a pretty productive dman and Trouba surely knows that. That = $$$.

My “guess” is Trouba is open to re-signing here but only for a short amount of time so he can maximize his true worth as a UFA at 28, sign a big UFA deal with a team of his choice, be it here or elsewhere. This allows him to be with this Jets core for their likely “best contending years”, be a big contributing piece and set himself up for a big financial reward for the last big pay day (contract) of his career in a destination of his choice.

At the end of he day he has yet to be “the guy” on our blueline and I don’t think he wants to sign long-term for 6-7 years at a rate that will likely end up being lesser than what his true worth and value will be al while giving up his “best years”. I think he’s betting on himself and his abilities and has full belief if/when he is “the guy” here that he will be worth top dollar and more than the Jets are currently wanting him for and offering. He hasn’t been “the guy” here yet and I’m sure the Jets are looking to take advantage of that if they can get him on a long-term deal.

Scheifele for example is a massive steal on his current contract and I don’t think Trouba is okay with that happening to him when he has yet been given full opportunity to the #1 dman on this team. Maybe he would re-sign here for 6-7 years but if that happens I think he wants to be paid for it, likely in the 7-8 AAV range, and I don’t think the Jets are okay with that amount right now.

Solid post. I also think Trouba is willing to stay but only at what he deems fair market value for his services. I personally think he is overvaluing his worth a tad but I don't begrudge him from trying to get the most cash possible.

We are now about 3 hours away from the true deadline, it will be interesting to see if we can come to a long term deal and what type a deal it will be.

Reactions: ps241 and Guerzy

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016

Scheifele for example is a massive steal on his current contract and I don’t think Trouba is okay with that happening to him when he has yet been given full opportunity to the #1 dman on this team. Maybe he would re-sign here for 6-7 years but if that happens I think he wants to be paid for it, likely in the 7-8 AAV range, and I don’t think the Jets are okay with that amount right now.
4 at 6.5 may not be ideal but I would do that on Winnipeg's end. Ensures you have time, both with him as a Jet and also time to take advantage when that presents the best opportunity.

Don't think it happens though.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Wow people still think he will sign here long term? I would love to eat some delicious feathery crow on this one but common sense tells me I should order some pizza for lunch because I won't be having bird....

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
4 at 6.5 may not be ideal but I would do that on Winnipeg's end. Ensures you have time, both with him as a Jet and also time to take advantage when that presents the best opportunity.

Don't think it happens though.

I agree. If that’s all we can get then it still gives us ample time to win a cup with Trouba and also trade him if/when the right time and deal comes along.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Trouba is a good young defenceman with plenty of upside still to come, but he doesn’t want to be here. He (they) made the mistake last go-round of letting it get out in the open that he wanted a trade. That won’t happen this time. He’s probably worth upwards of 6 Million AAV in today’s market. We don’t need to rush a trade but let’s be serious if he doesn’t want to be here the jets should get him out of the locker room quickly - but not so quickly we don’t get back something close to what he’s worth. I’m not bitter or angry but have no interest in spending my dollars to cheer for someone who clearly wants to be elsewhere - so adios.

Keep him this season, trade him in the off-season. It's a shame that Trouba will likely only sign a one-year contract but on the positive side, we can still get a good return, and free up some cap space so we can sign Laine and Connor. The 2018-19 season may be the best shot the Jets have to win the Stanley Cup for some time. Having Trouba contribute will boost his market value, and help the Jets go on another deep playoff run.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Here's what we know...........Nothing
I have heard I statement from Troubs stating he likes or wants to stay in Winnipeg......everything else is hearsay. Let's not run him out of town because the media needed a good rumor to run with. Don't turn on JT yet. This is business between the market and the agent.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Every time I read through one of these contract threads I'm reminded that NHL players live in a totally different universe than the rest of us...

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
I have heard I statement from Troubs stating he likes or wants to stay in Winnipeg......everything else is hearsay. Let's not run him out of town because the media needed a good rumor to run with. Don't turn on JT yet. This is business between the market and the agent.

we know nothing if you refuse to acknowledge what has been going on.

he has already sat out 15 games at the start of a season.

we know that he has taken the team through arbitration.

we also know that chevy will not let one player ruin the salary structure on the team

these are not media rumors.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I was reacting to the part I bolded. " let’s go get a cup this year" I know you were just trying to inject a positive note but that expresses the underlying attitude that leads to the rental mania.

With Trouba, we are still in pretty good shape to make a run next year. Without him, not so much. Unless some trade can be made that makes up the loss in the short term.
I think we all recognize that is the less likely scenario. Certainly we will be weaker at RD if we move him. We might get stronger at C to offset the loss. But barring that our chances of contending are substantially reduced.

So I see the argument for splitting the remaining asset we have in Trouba. Get 1 more year and then trade him for a still strong return. But you and I both know that after the next playoffs we will see the argument being made that we should keep him another year for another run, even though it means losing him for nothing at the end.

Nice post and I think we see this in a similar fashion. I am all for trading him now if we can get a blend of assets coming back that represent strong value.

Like Whileee said the transition away from the Jets top priority being asset builder and gatherer to a contender spending their assets to win has been a bit slower for me than Chevy and his team. I realize there is a balance and we are beginning our run but each season holds huge value as far as winning “a” cup. I am also mindful that today’s traded 1st round pick “may” be the ELC cost controlled asset that helps us win a cup when Laine is 24 or 25.

I look at the Ducks as example A of a contending team that were steadfast in preserving their 1st round picks for the most part and did a great job adding valuable players out of those late picks. I am also mindful that they have come up just short each season in their quest for the cup.

Starting in 2011 the Scheifele draft here is the Ducks run:

2011 Rackell (30th)
2012 Lindholm (6th)
2014 Theodore (26th)
2015 Montour (55th)
2016 Larsson (27th)
2017 Sam Steel (30th)

Clear as mud right Mort? The debate in my head rages :laugh:.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Scheifele for example is a massive steal on his current contract and I don’t think Trouba is okay with that happening to him when he has yet been given full opportunity to the #1 dman on this team. Maybe he would re-sign here for 6-7 years but if that happens I think he wants to be paid for it, likely in the 7-8 AAV range, and I don’t think the Jets are okay with that amount right now. My bet is the Jets want Trouba ideally long-term for 5.5-6 if they can get that type of contract. Trouba is likely sitting there saying “no way”.

What's the old joke, any club that would have me as a member isn't worth joining? Well Jakie, any team where you would be the "star" D-man isn't worth joining either. Not if your goal is to win a Cup. Of course, if you just want to be overpaid as the big fish in a stagnant pond...

I hope Chevy trades him to Buffalo so his buddy Bogo can resume his mentoring.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

If this ends up with a 1 year deal then it's over, my hopes for Trouba being a longterm would be gone.

It's sad it's come to this point, Trouba is such a big piece of that new core.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Where he wants to play is "Winnipeg"
How much he wants....him not his agent is unknown.
I've heard worse from malcontents over the years....I'm not sure JT is.
Didn't he end the holdout when he could have perpetuated it.
Or is all of that Fake News we are being fed?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Right, but "Winnipeg" is to Winnipeg as "cilantro" is to cilantro. ;)

Reactions: ulf

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
What's the old joke, any club that would have me as a member isn't worth joining? Well Jakie, any team where you would be the "star" D-man isn't worth joining either. Not if your goal is to win a Cup. Of course, if you just want to be overpaid as the big fish in a stagnant pond...

I hope Chevy trades him to Buffalo so his buddy Bogo can resume his mentoring.

The NHL is also a business, for both teams and players. Let’s remember Drew Doughty held out on LA in 2011-12 and missed training camp and 5 preseason games. At the end of the day, I don’t think Trouba simply wants to be overpaid, he wants to be paid at or close to market value - my guess. Is that really a bad thing? Seeing as he is 5 years into his career and hasn’t been given all the opportunity yet given Byfuglien is here, I don’t think he wants to sign a deal that by year 2 is a “steal” for the team like we have seen with Scheifele, for example. I can’t blame Trouba for that because I think if he were given opportunity and PP time to be that #1 guy I do think it’s possible he’s worth 7-8 mill right now long-term, say for the next 7 years.

If this is a case of each side grinding out the best deal for themselves and it’s not Jacob simply wanting out, I personally don’t blame the team or Trouba for negotiating to the bitter end. Welcome to business, welcome to contract negotiation. I just hope if it’s a money or term debate that both can settle in the middle and we can move on happily and respect the process of negotiation for what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I am surprised at how many people would like to be under paid at their own jobs for the benefit of the company.

This is the business of hockey and playing out within the rules of the CBA.

KO Sports does great work for their clients , I wish my union could have them hammer out my next contract.

This isn’t personal this is all business.

I still expect a long term deal to be announced.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
I think he ended his holdout when he did, because he was in danger of losing that season as a season played. At that point he would have pushed his UFA year back one year.

Reactions: Guffman

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I am surprised at how many people would like to be under paid at their own jobs for the benefit of the company.

This is the business of hockey and playing out within the rules of the CBA.

KO Sports does great work for their clients , I wish my union could have them hammer out my next contract.

This isn’t personal this is all business.

I still expect a long term deal to be announced.
Chevy doesn't underpay. Their is an 8 year history there. The problem is a player overvalueing his worth.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I mean, yeah, the city isn't amazing, but why would you want out of a young team that should be a contender for many years to come...

Some of these conspiracy theories are ridiculous.

Do some research, see how good he really is, take into account the Jets offering him only 4 million, and it really all adds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad