Confirmed with Link: What to do with Trouba? (UPD: 1y/5.5m arb award)

*IFF* Trouba asks for too much money, & you can't get full value in a trade - best option for Chevy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Sorry that's not how it works. The player puts a great deal of trust in the agent to get the best result for them. Yes they give a directive but the agents have different ways to get results. You have to remember that the agent gets more when the player gets more. They will drive hard to get what they want. So many things go into contracts, it's unreal. Things even such as a entry level contract that may or may not include the players parents being flown out to the first NHL game of the player. It's so complex, that's why players leave the work to the agents.

Agent is going to work to get the best deal for his client. The agent is not going redirect the entire career path of a player. Sorry. If Trouba doesn't sign a long-term deal tomorrow, it will be because that was Trouba's wish, not his agents'. It's like having a financial advisor, you can tell him to invest your money in mutual funds and trust the advisor to pick the best ones and not micromanage that yourself, you are not however going to expect or be okay with him putting all your dollars into a hollywood movie after you told him otherwise.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Agent is going to work to get the best deal for his client. The agent is not going redirect the entire career path of a player. Sorry. If Trouba doesn't sign a long-term deal tomorrow, it will be because that was Trouba's wish, not his agents'. It's like having a financial advisor, you can tell him to invest your money in mutual funds and trust the advisor to pick the best ones and not micromanage that yourself, you are not however going to expect or be okay with him putting all your dollars into a hollywood movie after you told him otherwise.
That's not always the case. Plus getting the most money for the contract is not redirecting the career path.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
That's not always the case. Plus getting the most money for the contract is not redirecting the career path.
Trouba is a grown man. If he wants to sign a market value contract he will tell his agent and his agent will make that happen. An agent might be able to hold up a deal to get an extra 500k, an agent however is not going to be able to put his client in a position in which they are traded to another city unless the client is okay with that.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba is a grown man. If he wants to sign a market value contract he will tell his agent and his agent will make that happen. An agent might be able to hold up a deal to get an extra 500k, an agent however is not going to be able to put his client in a position in which they are traded to another city unless the client is okay with that.
You sure you don't know that his dad makes all the decisions? Grown man lol

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I don't see how Trouba can get traded without a third team involved. We need a defenceman but a team going for Trouba will likely be offering forwards. If traded, Jets might have to immediately flip...

Wish he would sign

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
we were fine without statsny. pacing for 110pts

mason did nothing, so how is having helybuck signed a step back?

we have plenty of wingers.

the biggest reason I see that kept us from the cup final, was the difference in the routes taken.

did not vegas have a minimun of 3 days off between rounds?

did they not have a week off before the WCF?

did we not just finish a hit fest 7 game series against the preds?

and then we had 1 day off before vegas.

we ran out of gas

I agree with some of that - but we had both Mason and Hutch to back up Helle. Signing him isn't a step back but our backup is weaker. We don't have another Pk'er, forechecker + scoring like Armia. Are we going to throw more assets at C at the TD?

Right now, we are not as strong as we were the day before we got Stastny.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ye of little faith Mort :thumbd:

:sarcasm:

Yeah. Sorry. :laugh:

I still don't like rentals. I hope we can win the cup this year. We will be good enough to have a good shot. But keeping Trouba as an own rental doesn't empower us to "go out and get a cup".

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Ready for this to be over. You want out? Cool. Dont let the door hit you on the ***on the way out and expect us to boo the heck out of you every visit to BellMTS until your retirement.

Also, try not to eat your pillow when we hoist the cup without you.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Tl;dr - I think Kurt Overhardt might be misleading his clients because of personal disagreements with either the idea of collective bargaining or disagreements with the the current head of the players' union. There's uncertain evidence that he and a few other agents have tried to lead a group of players to start a decertification movement in the NHLPA, which I think oversteps the bounds of a player agent.

Which is kind of idiotic because his main issue is common in all industries. In what industry does someone just out of school or training make more than someone mid-career? Experience counts in everything. Your worth in any career is always a balance of your skills and experience, which includes your track record.

It's exactly why any comparison of Trouba to Byfuglien at this point for contracts is just plain stupid.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and ffh

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Stop blaming Overhardt, he’s just acting on Trouba’s request. You give Trouba far too much rope here, speculating about his dad and his agent orchestrating this. No this is all Trouba, and he won’t sign at the last minute. The dude wants out and it’s time to accept it. It’s also ok to be disappointed in him but it seems like drafted players get never-ending amounts of rope here.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Which is kind of idiotic because his main issue is common in all industries. In what industry does someone just out of school or training make more than someone mid-career? Experience counts in everything. Your worth in any career is always a balance of your skills and experience, which includes your track record.

It's exactly why any comparison of Trouba to Byfuglien at this point for contracts is just plain stupid.

Yeah, part of the reason I think offer sheets aren't as common is because of the inherent risk with younger players. That risk goes down with age and teams know more about what player they're getting by the time the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You sure you don't know that his dad makes all the decisions? Grown man lol

Again, if he is letting his dad make his decisions for him than it's on Trouba. Not on his agent, not on his dad, not on the guy who maintains Chevy's cabin when he's away. It's on Trouba. A 24 year old, who has been to college and has been living on his own for atleast 6 years is a grown ass man who is responsible for his path as a hockey player, there is no point trying to direct the blame on his agent, on his dad or whoever.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Trouba is no Scheifele.
He doesn’t want to be here as much as the committed guys do and his holding out -again - is affecting many other decisions that the team needs to make.
If it wasn’t unhealthy for the team overall before, it certainly is now.
Coupled with the fact that he hasn’t developed into the quite the player we thought he would 3 years ago doesn’t help.
Getting rid in Kane and Bogisian were good moves and we’re nearing that point with Trouba in my opinion.
Does Trouba fit the mold of what True North is trying to build? Probably not.

Reactions: sipowicz

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
IF Trouba doesn't want to be here, I don't think it's because of it just being Winnipeg/wanting to go to USA.

Jets are a contender, there's no reason to leave this.

I think it's because of usage - he's really, really good. He should be on the power play, not Tyler Myers. Myers I think has really complicated things for him.

Maurice and Chevy's obsession with Myers is ridiculous.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The reason I am skeptical of this argument is that the list of comparables for Trouba is not short. There should be almost no doubt about what his market value is and I believe Chevy has offered him a dollar and term value similar to those comparables. I see no evidence the Jets are trying to lowball him (both Helle and Lowry signed at or slightly above their market value). At this point if Trouba accepts the arbitration award then I will have to assume that it's because he wants out.
I agree with this and what your saying about it being trouba and not his agent the reason that he hasn't signed. I don't know if it because he wants to leave but rather he thinks he is worth alot more then he actually is. 2 times now they can't come to a settlement on a long term contract. Why wouldn't he just sign a long term contract and quietly ask for a trade. He would have been traded by now with 4 years left making around 5 million aav. He believes he is worth 8aav like mckenzie wrote and then thinks a dumba contract is lowballing him.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Stop blaming Overhardt, he’s just acting on Trouba’s request. You give Trouba far too much rope here, speculating about his dad and his agent orchestrating this. No this is all Trouba, and he won’t sign at the last minute. The dude wants out and it’s time to accept it. It’s also ok to be disappointed in him but it seems like drafted players get never-ending amounts of rope here.
But that's amazing that it's always his clients that want out and forcing their team in their RFA years, Nino was forced out from NYI, Turris from Arizona and then from Ottawa, Johansen from Cbus and now Trouba. Geez even frigging Dubinsky held out.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
IF Trouba doesn't want to be here, I don't think it's because of it just being Winnipeg/wanting to go to USA.

Jets are a contender, there's no reason to leave this.

I think it's because of usage - he's really, really good. He should be on the power play, not Tyler Myers. Myers I think has really complicated things for him.

Maurice and Chevy's obsession with Myers is ridiculous.

Yeah never seen what people see in Myers. It’s a shame if playing Myers on the PP had an effect on Trouba leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad