Confirmed with Link: What to do with Trouba? (UPD: 1y/5.5m arb award)

*IFF* Trouba asks for too much money, & you can't get full value in a trade - best option for Chevy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
That was a little over the top - but he is a 3rd pair D. He struggles against better opposition. And he is getting 1st pair money. And RHD are worth more than LHD, marginally.

Hes a really good third pair D on our team. And average 2nd pair D league wide. The guy was pushing 40 pts and was above that in playoffs.

He has flaws in transition and in our own end. I get that. But man losing a half a point a game dman when we are already losing Stastny and we are a lot weaker...

Plus if a RD gets hurt we have Poolman playing 2nd pair mins and a left D like Chiarot playing his off side. I think we should keep him for next year and then when we likely have to let him move on we do. A couple of 2nd round picks isn't worth losing a part of what made us so successful this year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hes a really good third pair D on our team. And average 2nd pair D league wide. The guy was pushing 40 pts and was above that in playoffs.

He has flaws in transition and in our own end. I get that. But man losing a half a point a game dman when we are already losing Stastny and we are a lot weaker...

Plus if a RD gets hurt we have Poolman playing 2nd pair mins and a left D like Chiarot playing his off side. I think we should keep him for next year and then when we likely have to let him move on we do. A couple of 2nd round picks isn't worth losing a part of what made us so successful this year.

I agree in your assessment of Myers. But I think Myers' market value is a bit inflated right now and I would want to take advantage of that rather than lose him for nothing after only 1 more year.

I always take the long view. Have a very hard time accepting long term pain for short term gain. If we have injury problems on D again we have 2-3 LHD who can move over and can always pick up some depth if necessary. I'd rather take that risk and get a 1st and maybe an add for Myers now.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Theres an argument to be made that in the playoffs, myers and Buff had more of an impact than Trouba did .

I keep on going back to the cost tho.. If Jake is wants 8 million a year or close to that... He wont be here much longer . He will be traded and rightfully so. If he wants to be here and is willing to accept say 6 x 6 or something similar he will sign.. And 1 of Buff or Myers will have to be dealt . IMO we have 2 much money invested on D as is... If Jake signs... Someone goes. Perhaps its Buff tho?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Trouba wants to stay but he only wants to stay if they pay in the 8+ range. I can't think that anyone could think that is a good idea. I could get behind that if his PP numbers were good. If he did put up 50 points last year. I just don't think he thinks the game that fast on the PP to be a good PP guy. He is great 5v5. It is where he excels getting the puck out of our end and playing great in the neutral zone.

I think they would love to get him signed long term in the 5.5 to 6 range. Heck he could have had that a year ago and probably be a UFA at 30 then. I think they would give him less years if they could keep his cap hit down.

I thought Trouba and Morrissey were good in the playoffs. But they were not Buff good, at least not yet. That is why Buff gets paid what he does because of what he produces and what he does during the playoffs. Its not to say I don't think Trouba and Morrissey are not going to be as good as Buff some day but right now they are not there. You can't get into that game of paying your guys what you think they MIGHT become.

Its not to say Trouba and Morrissey won't get paid because they will but you have to be able to keep there cap at a resonable level to allow you to fill out the rest of your roster. Look at the Trouble the Oilers have gotten themselves into,as good as those guys are they haven't won them anything yet but you are paying them like they have.

I think there are other players that expendable. Perrault is almost certainly one of them. Myers isn't. In fact I would imagine the Jets might be able to get Myers on a reasonable contract after this one.

Reactions: scelaton

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba wants to stay but he only wants to stay if they pay in the 8+ range. I can't think that anyone could think that is a good idea. I could get behind that if his PP numbers were good. If he did put up 50 points last year. I just don't think he thinks the game that fast on the PP to be a good PP guy. He is great 5v5. It is where he excels getting the puck out of our end and playing great in the neutral zone.

I think they would love to get him signed long term in the 5.5 to 6 range. Heck he could have had that a year ago and probably be a UFA at 30 then. I think they would give him less years if they could keep his cap hit down.

I thought Trouba and Morrissey were good in the playoffs. But they were not Buff good, at least not yet. That is why Buff gets paid what he does because of what he produces and what he does during the playoffs. Its not to say I don't think Trouba and Morrissey are not going to be as good as Buff some day but right now they are not there. You can't get into that game of paying your guys what you think they MIGHT become.

Its not to say Trouba and Morrissey won't get paid because they will but you have to be able to keep there cap at a resonable level to allow you to fill out the rest of your roster. Look at the Trouble the Oilers have gotten themselves into,as good as those guys are they haven't won them anything yet but you are paying them like they have.

I think there are other players that expendable. Perrault is almost certainly one of them. Myers isn't. In fact I would imagine the Jets might be able to get Myers on a reasonable contract after this one.
How would you define "reasonable contract" for Myers. I'm having a hard time figuring how they can fit him under the cap, unless they are able to move Kulikov's and get Wheeler to stay on a value contract.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Theres an argument to be made that in the playoffs, myers and Buff had more of an impact than Trouba did .

I keep on going back to the cost tho.. If Jake is wants 8 million a year or close to that... He wont be here much longer . He will be traded and rightfully so. If he wants to be here and is willing to accept say 6 x 6 or something similar he will sign.. And 1 of Buff or Myers will have to be dealt . IMO we have 2 much money invested on D as is... If Jake signs... Someone goes. Perhaps its Buff tho?

You're on glue if thats what you saw.

He's not worth 8 and he won't get near that.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I disagree Joe. I thought Morrissey was the best Bet dmen this playoffs considering usage. Trouba wasn't as good but was still solid. Buff was great the first tow rounds but stunk against Veagas when he ran out of gas.

Reactions: wasup

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How would you define "reasonable contract" for Myers. I'm having a hard time figuring how they can fit him under the cap, unless they are able to move Kulikov's and get Wheeler to stay on a value contract.
I have no idea myself. It would have to be around 4 million. Does anyone actually see him taking that though?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
You're obviously more connected than the average poster around these parts, so is this what you've heard or what you think?

No inside info really just a calculated guess from available information

I could see him coming in at 4 per year for long term. But really it depends on what they do with Trouba.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Buff 7.5 Trouba? Myers 5.5

Thats lots for 3 D men.. If Trouba signs.. Someone moves.

Cap wise and perhaps help you more wise is if you move the older Buff out. I dunno.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Seething hate bias much?

Myers has his warts. He hangs on to the puck too long in his own zone. He breaks down coverage in our zone especially if we are trapped. But he has a lot of pluses too. He skates very well, he can rush the puck exceptionally well. He produces offense. He has his role. He's a top 4 guy because he has above average offensive skill. His defensive ability is not top 4 - I hope he can mature a bit and get better there.

Jets won't trade Myers - haters can dream all they want. I'd bet with our lack of depth and prospects, he gets re-upped.

As for Perreault - I was extremely disappointed in him in the playoffs. He needed to step up as a veteran and he was awful - could not execute. He's someone who should be on his way out - we have lots of options up front.

Myers is 28 years old, at this point he is what he is, people need to stop thinking that he will suddenly be a different player. Myers is a useful player but simply not someone the Jets can afford. Perreault is harder to replace in a middle-6 role than Myers is on the bottom pairing due to Perreault's ability to drive a line. He had a shoulder injury in the Wild series and was likely playing hurt in the playoffs. The Jets probably can't afford to keep Perreault long term either but they can for the next season and I'd rather have him than Myers. Plus Myers likely fetches way more in a trade.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
We should nip this "Trouba wants 8x$8m" daftness in the butt right now. There's no evidence of that.

And I don't want to be the team giving Myers his next contract.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Myers is 28 years old, at this point he is what he is, people need to stop thinking that he will suddenly be a different player. Myers is a useful player but simply not someone the Jets can afford. Perreault is harder to replace in a middle-6 role than Myers is on the bottom pairing due to Perreault's ability to drive a line. He had a shoulder injury in the Wild series and was likely playing hurt in the playoffs. The Jets probably can't afford to keep Perreault long term either but they can for the next season and I'd rather have him than Myers. Plus Myers likely fetches way more in a trade.

We could definitely wait another year with Perreault. I look at those 4 2nd rounders the Montreal has though and wonder if we can't fleece GMMB in a Perreault trade.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I agree that someone has to go if/when Trouba signs. I don't think there is any chance of it being Buff. Not after the year he just had. So that means it has to be Myers.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

If Trouba really wants/expects/demands 8, even for 8 years I would rather trade him. I think that is just too much. 5 years x6 is another story.

I would hate to lose Perreault but I think the numbers game push him out after 1 more year anyway. I agree he is expendable. Myers is too. He is a luxury on the 3rd pair and there is no way he signs for any number the Jets could afford for his next contract. He might sign for what would be very good market value but it would still be too much for a 3rd pair D. That is, unless Trouba is traded.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have no idea myself. It would have to be around 4 million. Does anyone actually see him taking that though?

Even that is out of the question if we have Trouba at 6.5 and Buff at 7.6 on the right side. Trouba at 6 and it is still too much $$$ for the right D.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Thanks for taking the time to make a well thought out counter but I disagree about Myers:
  • Defensive awareness and ability continues to develop in defensemen and really improves into the late 20's and early 30's. I know this personally in my own game, but also looking at players like Zdeno Chara who really became a defensive beast and settled his game through his mid to late 20's and continuing well into his 30's. Defensive ability definitely improves with age and maturity. I think if Myers matures a bit more and can 'slow the game down' in his own zone he will be that much more effective and he'll be that reliable top 4 guy we need him to be. By slow the game down I don't mean slow his actions - I feel that's his issue right now. I mean be able to read and react to the game quicker (the game slows down in his mind).
  • Perreault was gawdawful most of this season. Especially the second half of the year and definitely the entire playoffs. I still like Perreault, but looking at what this team needs? It needs defensemen way more than wingers. We have Vesalainen, Lemieux, hell even Petan if you want to beat that dead horse. We have Roslovic waiting for full time assignment. Perreault is definitely a useful player but he's simply more expendable at this point.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
We could definitely wait another year with Perreault. I look at those 4 2nd rounders the Montreal has though and wonder if we can't fleece GMMB in a Perreault trade.
Aside from the fact that the jets haven't hit on a 2nd rounder yet in 7 years even if we got 2 2nds for Perreault how does that help us next 2 years with his 40 points gone. 1 of trouba or myers has to go. Especially with poolman there as a 3rd pairing guy. Perrault is needed and should not be traded for draft picks.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Biggest wart is his durability - he's glass IMO, and he plays like glass in his own end.
For that reason alone, I can see him moving on.
That is a concern for sure. The issue with Myers I think isn't that he's made of glass (to me that means he's always getting injured in a variety of ways) it's that he had a near catastrophic problem/ injury with an important joint (I still wonder how his hip is as you see it get dislocated from time to time, which is why he looks like he got shot but then comes back out and plays.)
The Jets will have to due their 'due diligence' with Condor to see if they think his hip issue is reasonably and permanently repaired. I'd bet Tyler spends most the offseason strengthening and rehabbing it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
How can the Jets afford so much cap space on their right defense ? Myers stays only if Trouba goes. Would love to keep them all, but Myers shouldn't be a third pairing defenseman.
To me - this is the most logical argument as to why Myers should go. I still think Trouba is the one who is going. I don't buy all this nicey nicey bulllshit. He wants to play in a US major market city. I think the smartest play for the Jets (if this is really the case) is to trade him now while we still have valuable club owned years.

If I am wrong, and Trouba re-signs - then have at er - trade Myers. I just don't think it's a no brainer, and I don't really get the hate for Tyler around here.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Aside from the fact that the jets haven't hit on a 2nd rounder yet in 7 years even if we got 2 2nds for Perreault how does that help us next 2 years with his 40 points gone. 1 of trouba or myers has to go. Especially with poolman there as a 3rd pairing guy. Perrault is needed and should not be traded for draft picks.

You don't think Roslovic can fill that gap?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Looking at underlying numbers, Perreault should be worth a lot. I don't think he is perceived as being that valuable though. Just not the vibe I get for him. Maybe GM's are aware of his Corsis, IDK. I think that getting 2 of those 2nds from Habs might be as good as we realistically could hope for, especially if at least one of them is an earlier one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->