Confirmed with Link: What to do with Trouba? (UPD: 1y/5.5m arb award)

*IFF* Trouba asks for too much money, & you can't get full value in a trade - best option for Chevy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So arbitrator split the difference, no surprise.

Well I'm not sure how to proceed. Seems clear that he's gone at some point though. The question is when.

I don't want to sell low because of this but I want to sell fast. No hesitation AFAIC. I would prefer it if he never plays another game for the Jets.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I do but i don't want to cheer for a guy who has made it clear he doesnt want to be here. Stop pretending Trouba is the difference between winning and losing

Mark Stuart and Tanner Glass loved it here.

I cheer for players who win us hockey games. Did you watch the Nashville series? Because he was as close to the difference between us winning and losing as you can possibly be as a non-goalie.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Surely he has to be traded? No way they'll try again next summer. And what if he has a really, really good season? He'll for ask even more.

He doesn't want to be in Winnipeg,

Reactions: Oseductive

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It is going to be mighty uncomfortable around here with Mr. Trouba. Fans won't flock to his banner. This sucks because the Jets can't seemingly have nice things. Legitimate top pairing for the next decade? Nope. f*** off.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Right in the middle, eh? I find that somewhat amusing.

A small part of me hopes that this is just Trouba wanting to prove that he is worth his asking value and not him just trying to get out asap.

Let the trade rumors recommence!

While it is still a possibility that Trouba just wants to justify bigger money, the realist in me is screaming that he wants out. At some point, even circumstantial evidence becomes compelling.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Trade him... Why do we want a player who continuously puts himself before the team.

Can we really trust this guy with 1 year on his deal(I wouldn’t doubt he walks in spite even if we won the Cup).

Reactions: Paul Maurice

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With arbitration can the Jets do a sign and trade or is it a 1 yr deal?

Not 100% certain but I believe the parties are still free to mutually agree to anything else until the arb award becomes official. The Jets have 48 hrs to either accept it or reject it. If they reject it he becomes a UFA. If not then it is automatically in force after 48 hrs.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
List the red flags not counting him wanting to get paid as much as he can as a red flag.

1. Holdout
2. No negotistions at all 2 years ago.. None
3. Its been reported many times he wants out
And others

Ill bet a few of u were convinced Kane didnt wanna go either. Where there is smoke there is fire and this one is definitely out of control.

How much more do u need for u to accept that he doesn't want to be here.. No negotiations last time.. Likely none this time either.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This just in: player uses his rights to try and get paid what he feels he worth.

See you all Jan 1st or Jun/Jul 1st.

Sidenote: if your backup plan to not signing Trouba long-term is replacing him with Myers, then I would be more worried about the Jets current talent evaluation.

This just in: Player asks for more than he's worth in order to force a trade then goes through arbitration to show he just wants to hit UFA. Next up.. how to read the writing on the wall.

Bmania

Jul 22, 2018
I think it’s all about maximizing his worth and earnings in what is realistically a short albeit rewarding career financially. I think he is ok staying in Winnipeg but not “long-term” on this contract given through 5 seasons he has yet to be given the full reins as “the guy” on our blueline. I wouldn’t be surprised if Trouba wants 4 years max at 6.5-6.75 per AAV and the Jets are saying no way, we want at least 6 maybe 7 years if we’re investing/paying that amount of money in you. My hunch is Trouba is offering the Jets his 2 remaining RFA years (at 6 per) + 2 UFA years (at 7-7.5 per). I don’t think he wants to sign long-term when the Jets have not yet given him true PP time and opportunity ahead of Buff (and even Myers on the #2 unit). When you add in his strong 5v5 stats and add potential top minute PP time to that, you likely get a pretty productive dman and Trouba surely knows that. That = $$$.

My “guess” is Trouba is open to re-signing here but only for a short amount of time so he can maximize his true worth as a UFA at 28, sign a big UFA deal with a team of his choice, be it here or elsewhere. This allows him to be with this Jets core for their likely “best contending years”, be a big contributing piece and set himself up for a big financial reward for the last big pay day (contract) of his career in a destination of his choice.

At the end of he day he has yet to be “the guy” on our blueline and I don’t think he wants to sign long-term for 6-7 years at a rate that will likely end up being lesser than what his true worth and value will be al while giving up his “best years”. I think he’s betting on himself and his abilities and has full belief if/when he is “the guy” here that he will be worth top dollar and more than the Jets are currently wanting him for and offering. He hasn’t been “the guy” here yet and I’m sure the Jets are looking to take advantage of that if they can get him on a long-term deal.

Scheifele for example is a massive steal on his current contract and I don’t think Trouba is okay with that happening to him when he has yet been given full opportunity to the #1 dman on this team. Maybe he would re-sign here for 6-7 years but if that happens I think he wants to be paid for it, likely in the 7-8 AAV range, and I don’t think the Jets are okay with that amount right now. My bet is the Jets want Trouba ideally long-term for 5.5-6 if they can get that type of contract. Trouba is likely sitting there saying “no way”.

Hi everyone. Long time reader from back in the jetsowner days... rare poster.... and long time reader of here since day one of the reincarnation... But first time poster here.

Great read and well said.

Just wanna add... and I know I won't shed a good first impression here for suggesting this... But we should have paid the guy... and unless Wheeler took a discount... we could afford to move on from him. We have the depth.. the future leader in Schief.. it would have been the right thing to do for the sake of the team. Wheelers value is at an all time high and he can bring a huge return... I love Wheeler and is my favourite Jet... would be a heartbreaking moment... But a natural one.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
1. Holdout
And others

Ill bet a few of u were convinced Kane didnt wanna go either. Where there is smoke there is fire and this one is definitely out of control.

How much more do u need for u to accept that he doesn't want to be here.. No negotiations last time.. Likely none this time either.
Your red flags are from two years ago.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
It was clear two years ago and it's clear now: he doesn't want to be here. Unless anyone really thinks his hold out last time was really about which side of the ice he played:rolleyes:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Hi everyone. Long time reader from back in the jetsowner days... rare poster.... and long time reader of here since day one of the reincarnation... But first time poster here.

Great read and well said.

Just wanna add... and I know I won't shed a good first impression here for suggesting this... But we should have paid the guy... and unless Wheeler took a discount... we could afford to move on from him. We have the depth.. the future leader in Schief.. it would have been the right thing to do for the sake of the team. Wheelers value is at an all time high and he can bring a huge return... I love Wheeler and is my favourite Jet... would be a heartbreaking moment... But a natural one.

Maybe like last time the Trouba camp refused to negotiate again?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
1. Holdout

And others

All of this stems from one thing, and that was his usage. The could be other factors there, but publicly all we know is his usage was the common factor in this. I'm not going to comment on rumour and supposition, because it's a fallacious line of reasoning that speaks to a person's bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->