What to do with our available Cap Space?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
According to Cap Friendly Leafs have
CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $7,597,850
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg

Muzzin due back shortly bringing with him his $4 million annual salary.
Mikheyev and Reilly both due back right at the end of the regular season.

Strategically if the team holds both players out for the remainder of the regular season they will have the ability to add players equal to the salary hits of Reilly and Soup if i understand this correctly.
$5.925 of salaries to add but we also have to adjust for Engvall and Sandin. Others??

What strategy do you think the team will take.

1. Don't spend the cap with the thought both players may return before the playoffs?

2. Hold these guys out until the start of the playoffs even if they are able to return for a couple games at the end of the season and acquire help?

3. Sell the cap space ala Marleau to acquire a bad contract with an asset attached?

4. Other ideas?

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Just making the playoffs should be their top concern. As much as I think they should/can....it's not going to be easy!

Reactions: egd27

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Just making the playoffs should be their top concern. As much as I think they should/can....it's not going to be easy!

Exactly and to do that you probably need every game of Reilly that you can get so the idea of Patrick Kaning him until playoffs start is a non-starter IMO.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
According to Cap Friendly Leafs have
CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg

Muzzin due back shortly bringing with him his $4 million annual salary.
Mikheyev and Reilly both due back right at the end of the regular season.

Strategically if the team holds both players out for the remainder of the regular season they will have the ability to add players equal to the salary hits of Reilly and Soup if i understand this correctly.
$5.925 of salaries to add but we also have to adjust for Engvall and Sandin. Others??

What strategy do you think the team will take.

1. Don't spend the cap with the thought both players may return before the playoffs?

2. Hold these guys out until the start of the playoffs even if they are able to return for a couple games at the end of the season and acquire help?

3. Sell the cap space ala Marleau to acquire a bad contract with an asset attached?

4. Other ideas?

This isn't really free cap space by temp cap space due to Muzz and Rielly on LTIR, their return uses that space and more.

You need to look a little further down to projected cap space $0.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

toronto_maple_leafs.svg

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $94,490,906

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $12,990,906

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $0

CURRENT CAP SPACE
q.svg
DEADLINE CAP SPACE
q.svg
TODAYS CAP HIT
q.svg
: $94,366,310

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think it all depends on when Rielly can come back? If he is ready by end of March then strategy #2 otherwise #1. Also depends how team does before TDL if we are in/close to a playoff spot then strategy #2 if we are out of it then #1 and trade Barrie and Ceci and get picks next year.

It really is terrible we employed Babs to start season. We should be sitting pretty right now. But no we are in a fight for every game now when games are the toughest to win.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Reilly and Micheyev should be ready to play by a week before the end of the season. By that time we will know if we have a shot or not to be in the playoffs. But until then the trade deadline will come and go. So you improve you team to get into the playoffs and worry about them coming back when they come back. If there is a week or two left in the season you ride out the injury for a couple of more days longer and then send them out on conditioning stints with the Marlies so they are in shape for the playoffs.

Insert them in for the playoffs and your team is that much better. That's what I would do.

Reactions: The Iceman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You'd also have to consider that whatever they managed to bring in temporarily would be inferior to getting Rielly back for the last part of the season. It's not like we'd get a superior defenseman and better bang for the buck to keep Rielly out longer.

member 300185

This thread is one of the dumber threads I've seen on HF. Loopholes like this are why a TDL exists.

Lock it up
The arrogance with you is very strong. I guess you are in charge of locking up threads?
The whole point of the OP is to get discussion started but hey, if we don't have your permission, then maybe we should never post threads until they are approved by you. :help:

Reactions: The Iceman and Smif

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Exactly and to do that you probably need every game of Reilly that you can get so the idea of Patrick Kaning him until playoffs start is a non-starter IMO.

Agreed. Mo coming back for the playoffs may seem like a good idea to some. But coming back from an injury and a couple months off only to get thrown into the playoff is setting him up to fail

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Do we even have enough cap space to hire someone at Canadian minimum wage?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

toronto_maple_leafs.svg

PROJECTED CAP HIT
q.svg
: $94,754,347

PROJECTED LTIR USED
q.svg
: $13,254,347

PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg