What to do with Nikita Zaitsev....

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When Lou Lam signed him he rewarded him for his rookie season and valued him as a RHD, which the Leafs have too few of and in the belief he would continue to grow as a offensive Dman.

In Russia Zaitsev would get PP time and play and offensive role and in TO right now he is being tasked while paired with Muzz in a more defensive/shutdown role.

Fans that are screaming about his departure are likely viewing his stats vs his contract $$, but ignore his role and his usage. Also as a 2nd pairing Dman your going to have to pay market $$, unless one believes he is a 3rd pairing only guy, which on the Leafs with guys like Oz and Holl behind him that is certainly not the case.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I'd like to see if we can use Zaitsev when we have two puck movers on the right side before we sell low.

Rielly _______ 24 min
Muzzin Liljegren 18 min
Dermott Zaitsev 18 min
Borgman Ozhiganov

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Why did Zaitsev just ice the puck? He had time and space.

Watch Zaitsev tonight vs Buffalo and how he deals with pressure. Off the boards and out into the neutral zone to opposing Dman or Ice the puck. He feels far too much panic to make or even look for a 10 foot pass. Zaitsev's contract is not moveable. The things Zaitsev's does are benchable offense's but the lack of depth on the right size gives all the leverage back to Zaitsev. Zaitsev will be one main reason, Boston destroys the Leafs in Round 1.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Dominant again tonight
Why did Zaitsev just ice the puck? He had time and space.

Watch Zaitsev tonight vs Buffalo and how he deals with pressure. Off the boards and out into the neutral zone to opposing Dman or Ice the puck. He feels far too much panic to make or even look for a 10 foot pass. Zaitsev's contract is not moveable. The things Zaitsev's does are benchable offense's but the lack of depth on the right size gives all the leverage back to Zaitsev. Zaitsev will be one main reason, Boston destroys the Leafs in Round 1.

Man you picked the wrong time to bump the thread.....

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Dominant again tonight
Late in the game, just when Buffalo pulled their goalie, Matthews and Marner were on the ice together, along with the usual pairing of Zaitsev & Muzzin.

Then a whistle a time out and a face in the Leafs zone, and now Babcock has Zaitsev & Hainsey closing out the game.

Isn't the Leafs this season like 35-1 when leading after 2 periods?

Babcock obviously doing something right.

Obviously opinions are like up the you know where!

Actually, that is what makes the place fun!

Zaitsev this ... Zaitsev that ... Zaitsev NOooooooo.........

:naughty:

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Late in the game, just when Buffalo pulled their goalie, Matthews and Marner were on the ice together, along with the usual pairing of Zaitsev & Muzzin.

Then a whistle a time out and a face in the Leafs zone, and now Babcock has Zaitsev & Hainsey closing out the game.

Isn't the Leafs this season like 35-1 when leading after 2 periods?

Babcock obviously doing something right.

Obviously opinions are like up the you know where!

Actually, that is what makes the place fun!

Zaitsev this ... Zaitsev that ... Zaitsev NOooooooo.........

:naughty:

Thats just it I guess.

Zaitsevs excellent results and analytics dont match up with what is being said about him.

Its especially wierd coming from a fanbase thats crying out for defense....Im not sure they know what it is.

Make a couple of bad passes or a giveaway and it somehow negates they fact youve been erasing rushes and cycles the entire game. Now they are on Muzzen too.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I thought maybe the best way to help Zaitsevs image around here is to look for his comparables.

Due to his usage, its not an easy thing to do but one actually stood out right away.

First, I capped the search at high minute defenders so as to eliminate and bottom 6 stragglers that might pollute the data, then I adjusted for score effects + venue + zone usage and then sorted as Relative to their teammates as to be fair to players that might not be on as good a team as the Leafs are. I really wanted an easier way to implement QoC but since Zaitsev plays a really high QoC its not a massive deal.

Finally, I sorted by individual points production/60 as Zaitsev is not an offensive dman at all.

There were 61 dmen to compare him to and one was damn close to him across the board as a comparable in all these areas except he is a 1st line RHD so Zaitsev is basically a 2nd line RHD version of this player.

Any guesses?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
When Lou Lam signed him he rewarded him for his rookie season and valued him as a RHD, which the Leafs have too few of and in the belief he would continue to grow as a offensive Dman.

In Russia Zaitsev would get PP time and play and offensive role and in TO right now he is being tasked while paired with Muzz in a more defensive/shutdown role.

Fans that are screaming about his departure [bbare likely viewing his stats vs his contract $$, but ignore his role and his usage[/b]. Also as a 2nd pairing Dman your going to have to pay market $$, unless one believes he is a 3rd pairing only guy, which on the Leafs with guys like Oz and Holl behind him that is certainly not the case.
Doesn't read like that at all. I rarely see points mentioned with him. Mistakes, being a bad partner, lack of awareness are common criticisms though. You know, the defensive side of the game.

He had a good back to back though

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought maybe the best way to help Zaitsevs image around here is to look for his comparables.

Due to his usage, its not an easy thing to do but one actually stood out right away.

First, I capped the search at high minute defenders so as to eliminate and bottom 6 stragglers that might pollute the data, then I adjusted for score effects + venue + zone usage and then sorted as Relative to their teammates as to be fair to players that might not be on as good a team as the Leafs are. I really wanted an easier way to implement QoC but since Zaitsev plays a really high QoC its not a massive deal.

Finally, I sorted by individual points production/60 as Zaitsev is not an offensive dman at all.

There were 61 dmen to compare him to and one was damn close to him across the board as a comparable in all these areas except he is a 1st line RHD so Zaitsev is basically a 2nd line RHD version of this player.

Any guesses?

I find these exercises to be misguided. The takeaway is always "Upon closer inspection, Player X is actually not as bad as you think."

Would be more useful if someone ran the numbers and suggested Dylan Demelo was as good as Drew Doughty, hence acquire him for a 3rd rounder or something.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
As Justin Holl has gotten more minutes, and actually had a chance to settle in, I'm liking him more and more. Does he make mistakes? Yes, of course, but so does Zaitsev. Justin Holl can actually pass the puck, which Zaitsev is utterly incapable of. For this season at least, I would love to see Zaitsev confined to 3rd pairing & PK (where icing the puck is acceptable), and give Holl minutes with Muzzin. Holl is weak in his own end (just like Rielly, Gardiner, etc), but at least he is capable of facilitating a transition out of the zone he is weak in.

Moving into the future...do whatever you can to rid yourself of that contract. Maybe it's a David Clarkson/Nathan Horton kind of move again. Maybe some team like Edmonton is willing to bite like it has been rumored. I don't care, we can't pay $4.5 mil for a player who does nothing but detract from anything positive on the ice. Then we hope that Liljegren, Duszak, Hollowell, etc, pan out, and somebody like Dermott, Rosen, Rielly, or Muzzin can translate their game to the right side effectively.

His rookie season was a farce created by getting PP time, luck, and being dragged around by Morgan Rielly.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think if we limited his minutes he might end up being okay in a sheltered role. Assuming Gardiner isn't ready for Boston

Rielly - Hainsey
Muzzin - Dermott
Marincin/Rosen/Borgman - Zaitsev

And Definitely keep him off the ice if were ahead with under 2:30 left in the 3rd

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Thats just it I guess.

Zaitsevs excellent results and analytics dont match up with what is being said about him.

Its especially wierd coming from a fanbase thats crying out for defense....Im not sure they know what it is.

Make a couple of bad passes or a giveaway and it somehow negates they fact youve been erasing rushes and cycles the entire game. Now they are on Muzzen too.

The same damn thing has been done to Gards and Muzzin since he arrived.

Potatos are always going to Potato

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Thats just it I guess.

To me, Zaitsev's biggest problem is that what he brings to the table could be done by someone making 3 million less than him.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Thats just it I guess.

Zaits has excellent results and analytics?

He's a fine bottom pairing defenseman, the issue is the money. There's a lot of guys who could do what Zaits does for this blueline at fractions of the cost.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Zaitsev is the Leafs ONLY defnseman that is a RHD and can play in the Leafs top 4.

Leafs are looking for more right handed shooting Dmen not less, so unless the plan is to upgrade on him of a better RHD then I don't see Dubas in any hurry to deal him away.
He is NOT an NHL defender. He needs to retire and go back to KHL (maybe we can play his salary in KHL).

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
He is an NHL Dmen, but he has some flaws in his game.

Babcock is trying to match Muzzin with Zaitsev and hoping the gel as a 2nd pairing.

Been our best pairing since they were put together but I would prefer Rielly/Muzzin who were just dynamite. I still think that Gards injury was what forced the change.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I think if we limited his minutes he might end up being okay in a sheltered role. Assuming Gardiner isn't ready for Boston

Rielly - Hainsey
Muzzin - Dermott
Marincin/Rosen/Borgman - Zaitsev

And Definitely keep him off the ice if were ahead with under 2:30 left in the 3rd

Strange argument against one of the best players in the league this year on the ice ahead with under 2:30 left in the third.

great

Apr 14, 2018
The truth is our defensive system is utter ****. Every defenseman becomes the whipping boy like Gardiner, with exception of Rielly. That being said Zaitsev contract is too high, so will see what happens. But for this playoffs Babs needs to adjust the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad