Speculation: What to do with Kulikov

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Just thinking out loud, here... But the Jets defensive pairings saw Kulikov as they're 7th/8th guy. Players with salaries of 1.4M and 1.0M are ahead of him on depth chart, and that's excluding Niku.

To me, doesn't make sense to have a 4.3M player in the pressbox each night when there are above replacement options that cost you less.

What can you even do with him? A trade would likely need retention/pick going the other way. Waivers?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think you play out his contract here and judge our left D talent at that point. I doubt he gets traded or re-signed.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think you play out his contract here and judge our left D talent at that point. I doubt he gets traded or re-signed.
They won't be able afford him next season unless they trade Trouba or maybe bridge Connor. I think they'll need to trade him before the last year of his contract, or if that's not possible they might need to buy him out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There is a difference to being healthy and being in peak game shape. I would think Kulikov is still far from the later. I guess the hope is that he will look better after another couple of weeks of practice and be ready to step in to the lineup.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
There is a difference to being healthy and being in peak game shape. I would think Kulikov is still far from the later. I guess the hope is that he will look better after another couple of weeks of practice and be ready to step in to the lineup.

Have to wonder if they would consider sending him down to the Moose on a "conditioning stint." Could they even do that?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
How much would we need to retain on a trade? I'd think teams like Edmonton or Montreal would be interested.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Because $4.3 million is a lot to pay for depth, especially next year when we will really need the cap space.

So why would we trade him this year? What are we going to do with those $4.3M, sign Jussi Jokinen?

Johnnucleo

Jan 2, 2016
Ostrava
I think he stays put this year. If he goes the majority of the year as the #7 D-man though, they will either try to trade him in off season (unlikely), or buy him out. Either way, my prediction is he will not be here next year. I think there is a good chance he retires after this current contract, a la Grant Clitsome

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
You do nothing. If he comes back into the same form he had last season, great, if not he sits in the PB or you try to trade him. Either way its not that big a deal this year

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Just thinking out loud, here... But the Jets defensive pairings saw Kulikov as they're 7th/8th guy. Players with salaries of 1.4M and 1.0M are ahead of him on depth chart, and that's excluding Niku.

To me, doesn't make sense to have a 4.3M player in the pressbox each night when there are above replacement options that cost you less.

What can you even do with him? A trade would likely need retention/pick going the other way. Waivers?

Unless Kulikov is still injured! No way in hell Chariot, Morrow, Poolman or even Myers are near as good as Kuli!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They won't be able afford him next season unless they trade Trouba or maybe bridge Connor. I think they'll need to trade him before the last year of his contract, or if that's not possible they might need to buy him out.

I think you are going beyond the question here.

Right now, I think he is still working into game shape. I certainly hope that is all it is.

Then hope he has a good season and is tradeable with no worse than a little salary retention. Best case, he plays so well that he earns his salary and is worth keeping for another year.

If he can't play very well then I think the buyout is the next best choice.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How much would we need to retain on a trade? I'd think teams like Edmonton or Montreal would be interested.

If the effects of his back injury are lingering to the point that he can't win a spot on our bottom pair, there is no reason why anyone else would be interested.

The max retention is 50% so an acquiring team would have to pay a min of 2.15 mil to a Dman who can't beat Chiarot for a job.

Montreal gave us Morrow as surplus. Oilers have enough 3rd pair D. It is top 4 D they need. Why would either of them be interested in Kulikov?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
If the effects of his back injury are lingering to the point that he can't win a spot on our bottom pair, there is no reason why anyone else would be interested.

The max retention is 50% so an acquiring team would have to pay a min of 2.15 mil to a Dman who can't beat Chiarot for a job.

Montreal gave us Morrow as surplus. Oilers have enough 3rd pair D. It is top 4 D they need. Why would either of them be interested in Kulikov?
Kulikov can play both LHD and RHD. An I think when healthy, he is a top 4 d-man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad