Speculation: What to do with Jumbo

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If that's the case, then for sure he should have some load management. I do believe that for us to have some success, he will be a part of that... we need him at his best, like he was earlier this year. He's a leader, and a veteran, who we need contributing in some manner.

I wouldn't be very surprised to see someone like Brooks or Petan draw in for him tonight.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think a lot of us saw this coming with his signing and his expected decline with age, ending up being nothing more than a bit depth player where his leadership & experience rather than on ice impact being the intangibles being realized.

A lot of these Ontario born players simply want to say they wore the blue&white in their careers, playing for the team they grew up cheering for as kids. However the lesson learned is that one has to very careful not getting caught up in nostalgia and realize there has to be a fit and a team need to bring in these aging players, even if they had HOF careers.

The NHL and the Leafs are built for speed and skill and Jumbo Joe now more an anchor holding them back unfortunately that he should be more of a situational start.

I completely agree. It’s strange how they can be so clear eyed and judicious with Spezza but seem to have the blinders on when it comes to Thornton. He was good in spurts to start the year but they have to see the decline and be smart about getting what they can out of him (in a timely way).

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Not too worried about Thornton come playoff time he will do whatever is best for the team. He is one competitive person. Go watch the replay when SJ made the miraculous comeback against Vegas a couple of years or so back. If he knows he can’t help im sure he will be willing to be scratched without creating any hostile environment for the team.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I completely agree. It’s strange how they can be so clear eyed and judicious with Spezza but seem to have the blinders on when it comes to Thornton. He was good in spurts to start the year but they have to see the decline and be smart about getting what they can out of him (in a timely way).

Agreed. I think Jumbo can give you a lot in spurts during the playoffs, but he needs to be load managed and used for very specific reasons. It's no coincidence that with the insanity of this years schedule he has been worn down.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Part of it is on the coach/management for not sitting him now and then
He'll be great in the playoffs and that's all I care about at this point
I mean every player is dealing with some sort of fatigue at this point of a condensed season, especially Jumbo considering he's 41.

Some rest should help.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He will be 13th forward on bench for playoffs .. moral support .. maybe a shift on PP2 .. it is how he will help out

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Da story line is pretty simple folks .. this is end of rope for Jumbo ... Leafs win Cup and Jumbo goes down as a GREAT player with a Cup .. everyone wants it to happen and Jumbo will do whatever it takes for his place in history

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I thought I read we couldn’t make any line up changes because we had no cap space. After the deadline do we have cap space to healthy scratch Thornton/others and play others? The only moves we are able to make was players that moves waivers.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
There isnt a need to move anyone around. Robertson will fill the void in our lineup until Nylander comes back.

Engvall will stay in the lineup until Foligno is ready to join the team.

Thornton is replaced once Nash is ready.

No need for any further changes to our lineup until this occurs or unless an unfortunate injury happens.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Wonder what Tonya Harding is doing these days? :sarcasm:

Of course I'm joking but there's no way he should be on the PP. And there's absolutely no way he should be on late in games that are within a goal or 2 for either team.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
The coaching was madness. He was playing awful but still got:
- more ice time
- moved up to the first line in the 3rd
- PP1 time
- was the extra attacker when Montreal scored

I hope this was a final addition to see if he would step up with the increased role to prove he deserved a spot in the lineup before the additions get into the line up. He can't keep up anymore

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
My playoff 4th line is

Simmonds Nash Vintage
I'd agree with that, or if Nash isn't ready/is having trouble getting back up to speed use Engvall in his place and you basically just re-created the Clifford-Engvall-Spezza line that was good for us against CBJ last year.

Reactions: Marshy

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
My playoff 4th line is

Simmonds Nash Vintage
Maybe but do see Nash and Simmonds together being on the destruction line Keefer will go big and nasty on 1 line to hammer other teams defense into glass ... and see a checking line too but i don't think we have personnel for a shut down checking line .. ideally 2 scoring lines, 1 checking line and 1 destruction line throwing missiles ..

67leafs

Oct 17, 2019
Jumbo I hate to say is done......
I get the dressing room stuff but he’s done

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I expect his usage to get heavily managed when the post season starts. Likely only will get 7-10 min of icetime then.

The only way I see him outright not be dressed is if things get ugly very early in the opening series.

Once pp scoring starts to normalize he will seem like less of an issue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad