Speculation: What to do with Jumbo

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
Unfortunately Dubas convinced Joe to sign with the Leafs. So Joe did understanding that he will be a major part of the lineup. How do you tell him now that he will be sitting? That ain't going to happen. Its like a kick to the jock for Joe. We just have to accept that when Joe's on the ice its like being short handed. With Dubas going all in, Keefe is going to have to grow a set of big ones, either sit him or drastically reduce his minutes. No disrespect to Joe he has had a hall of fame career.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Unfortunately Dubas convinced Joe to sign with the Leafs. So Joe did understanding that he will be a major part of the lineup. How do you tell him now that he will be sitting? That ain't going to happen. Its like a kick to the jock for Joe. We just have to accept that when Joe's on the ice its like being short handed. With Dubas going all in, Keefe is going to have to grow a set of big ones, either sit him or drastically reduce his minutes. No disrespect to Joe he has had a hall of fame career.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Mar 26, 2010
Put him on waivers. He does not deserve to be in the line up. He is awful.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
No it isn't but when the fringe nhler is better than jumbo and its hurting our on ice product... it is a concern.

Yes of course. I said there were a lot of reasons to not want Joe on the ice. It's the culture of meritocracy that is not a concern.

Reactions: ER89

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Before all is said and done, Joe will contribute if we go on a run here. It is a real testament to managemnt that we are this deep, now they have to figure out how to juggle everyone without blowing it up.

I think a little rest will help all our older guys, and they should get it down the stretch.

Mar 12, 2009
If we're healthy 100%

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-JT-88
Soup-Engvall-Hyman
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

OR

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-JT-88
Soup-Engvall-Foligno
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

Kerfoot may draw in for Simmonds depending on the opponent and how well Simmonds is performing but that's pretty much your 12 forwards if we're all healthy.

They need to throw some dynamite at the PP. Malhotra doesn't have it anymore.
Kerfoot is not sitting out imo. This board is way way more negative on him than it should be, but it seems every year there's at least one guy playing fine that becomes the whipping boy.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The history lesson to be learned here is there’s no shame being in and out of the lineup at Thornton’s age and state of his game. Even when Lanny McDonald won his cup in Calgary he wasn’t in every game. Denis Savard was a healthy scratch when the Canadiens won the cup. You don’t have to play a Ray Bourque role if you’re not at that level anymore.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If we're healthy 100%

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-JT-88
Soup-Engvall-Hyman
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

OR

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-JT-88
Soup-Engvall-Foligno
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

Kerfoot may draw in for Simmonds depending on the opponent and how well Simmonds is performing but that's pretty much your 12 forwards if we're all healthy.

They need to throw some dynamite at the PP. Malhotra doesn't have it anymore.

Kerfoot isn't sitting in favour of Engvall. Not a chance

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The history lesson to be learned here is there’s no shame being in and out of the lineup at Thornton’s age and state of his game. Even when Lanny McDonald won his cup in Calgary he wasn’t in every game. Denis Savard was a healthy scratch when the Canadiens won the cup. You don’t have to play a Ray Bourque role if you’re not at that level anymore.

Can we healthy scratch him, without putting him on waivers?

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think he may need some load management to recharge. Looking a little more his age these games.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Can we healthy scratch him, without putting him on waivers?

Yea no problem there, especially with Andersen on LTIR.

One would argue it wasn't an option before when the Leafs were playing catch-up on accumulating cap space for the TDL.

But now he can just be a healthy scratch without worrying about cap space (so long as there is space, which there is). It's only sending him to the taxis squad (i.e., get him off the cap) that would require waivers.

Reactions: Fogelhund

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Thornton has looked bad since returning from his injury. I wouldn’t mind seeing him moreso as the 13th forward.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Kerfoot is not sitting out imo. This board is way way more negative on him than it should be, but it seems every year there's at least one guy playing fine that becomes the whipping boy.
I didn’t like Kerfoot last year very much. He wasn’t as good as last year as he is this year. That guy is a puck hound. I don’t really mind that he’s not the strongest physically. He’s quick and he reads plays really nice on both sides of the puck. I know he is $3,500,000 and that’s a bit rich for bottom 6 but we don’t have a cheaper option that is better in fact.

He has been awesome. Really one of the most consistent players on the team. I like him.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I dont understand all these lines being tossed out there. They make no sense what so ever. We know that Foligno was acquired to play on the second line. We should all know that Nash will draw in once playoffs start. He's the best defensive player the Leafs now have amongst their forward group. We also should know that the second best defensive forward is Kerfoot along with his high hockey IQ. Which means he will definitely be in the lineup. Unfortunately Jumbo Joe and Engvall will be in the press box as insurance, and that isnt all that bad.

Gally-Matthews-Marner (Scoring line)
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander (Scoring line)
Hyman-Kerfoot-Micheyev (Shutdown line)
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza (Checking line)

Thornton, Engvall (Spares)

Of course lots can happen between now and playoffs. People can be injured. We hope not, but that is your lineup come playoffs if everyone is ready to go.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He doesn’t look very good. No insults neccessary. He just doesn’t.
That said, I wouldn’t want to be the one to tell him so i feel for Keefer

Reactions: 123offtheglass

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yea no problem there, especially with Andersen on LTIR.

One would argue it wasn't an option before when the Leafs were playing catch-up on accumulating cap space for the TDL.

But now he can just be a healthy scratch without worrying about cap space (so long as there is space, which there is). It's only sending him to the taxis squad (i.e., get him off the cap) that would require waivers.

If that's the case, then for sure he should have some load management. I do believe that for us to have some success, he will be a part of that... we need him at his best, like he was earlier this year. He's a leader, and a veteran, who we need contributing in some manner.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I think a lot of us saw this coming with his signing and his expected decline with age, ending up being nothing more than a bit depth player where his leadership & experience rather than on ice impact being the intangibles being realized.

A lot of these Ontario born players simply want to say they wore the blue&white in their careers, playing for the team they grew up cheering for as kids. However the lesson learned is that one has to very careful not getting caught up in nostalgia and realize there has to be a fit and a team need to bring in these aging players, even if they had HOF careers.

The NHL and the Leafs are built for speed and skill and Jumbo Joe now more an anchor holding them back unfortunately that he should be more of a situational start.

Last edited:
Reactions: CelticDruid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad