Speculation: What to do with Jumbo

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Obviously the team as a whole was bad tonight, coaching staff included, not trying to take a shot at Jumbo, he's a legend & everyone loves him.

Awesome guy, great voice & character for the team on and off the ice, but right now he is BRUTAL; he cannot keep up, it's too much to try and accommodate and shelter him to keep him in the lineup nightly. He's a liability right now.

What should they do about Jumbo?

He can still be apart of the team, but you either don't dress him nightly or you play him less, and you do not play him in the final minutes of a close game. He can bring his great personality, character, voice to practice; he's hurting them in games.

Are they that worried about losing his voice/character at games? Or maybe they're concerned he'll voice displeasure about being scratched or not playing enough; if he's the great teammate that everyone says he is, he's not going to do that.

Once this team is completely healthy & they get their TDL additions out of quarantine, can't see how he'd be apart of their top 12 forwards. Good character DEPTH is what he should be until he catches up to the pace of the game.

They've taken him from top 6 to bottom 6, now it's time he becomes apart of the "stay ready squad" (including both healthy scratches & taxi squad guys).

Reactions: Mats13

Snip Genos

GO LEAFS GO
Jun 14, 2007
Ontario
Yeah if playoffs started tomorrow with everyone healthy he should be in the press box. Not a big deal if we can make it deep into the playoffs he will get some games in.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Found a really nice place for Jumbo. He gets to choose Robidas Island or the Moon

full-moon-night-landscape-732x549-thumbnail-1.jpg

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If we're healthy 100%

Galchenyuk-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-JT-88
Soup-Engvall-Hyman
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

OR

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-JT-88
Soup-Engvall-Foligno
Simmonds-Nash-Spezza

Kerfoot may draw in for Simmonds depending on the opponent and how well Simmonds is performing but that's pretty much your 12 forwards if we're all healthy.

They need to throw some dynamite at the PP. Malhotra doesn't have it anymore.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
One point in last 17 games. He’s on the ice for to many goals against is even worse. The guy isn’t pulling his weight. The giveaways from him tonight was ridiculous.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I mean this fanbase is huge and can be very divided at times, but this is one thing everyone agrees on. Thornton's time is done and he shouldn't be in our lineup come playoffs

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
In the playoffs:

Foligno Matthews Marner
Galchenyuk Tavares Nylander
Kerfoot Engvall Hyman
Mikheyev Spezza Nash

Thornton and Simmonds need some rest.

Last edited:

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I really feel for him ...
I’m telling you he’s playing these decisions over and over in his head day and night ..
What a player and person and teammate
HOFer years ago
Way to go Joe !
Sorry man , it over ;(

Last edited:
Reactions: Wafflewhipper

ARoggy94

Dec 9, 2013
Ottawa
I believe the players when they say they love him in the dressing room but the on ice just isn't there. Even the same with Simmonds, don't see how you can justify not giving Robertson a chance in the lineup over either of them. And when Riley Nash is healthy, I don't see how he can be worse.

I'd give Simmonds more reps to see if he can get back to his level preinjury but his hands are absolutely brutal.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Rest him whenever the forward depth allows for that. Scale back on the quantity or quality of minutes otherwise. Re-evaluate come playoff time. I don't see any way he isn't in the lineup starting with Game 1 of that series though.

Last edited:

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
  • Yeah got to see him and his 2 boys on a line against the Toros , often wonder how much better the NHL would be if the W had survived , would have made a great place for guys like Jumbo .

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I really feel for him ...
I’m telling you he’s playing these decisions over and over in his head and at night ..
What a player and person and teammate
HOFer years ago
Wait to go Joe !
Sorry man

An honest man would know that father time has come, and he should just let his teammates get on with it.

Thornton is using up ice time that could be allotted to others that need it.

Hopefully, when all is said and done the new additions will bump him to the press box.

Time to move on, or else this will/could come back to haunt Dubas/Keefe.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
An honest man would know that father time has come, and he should just let his teammates get on with it.

Thornton is using up ice time that could be allotted to others that need it.

Hopefully, when all is said and done the new additions will bump him to the press box.

Time to move on, or else this will/could come back to haunt Dubas/Keefe.
I want to ague your points , but I can’t , I see it crystal clear ... Big Joe is done ...

Reactions: CelticDruid

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
He is dragging Spezza down with him. I know Joe isn’t a scorer but I can’t even remember the last time he made a creative pass that worked. The problem is that a star player is usually the last to know they are done.

Reactions: DarkKnight

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I saw Gordie play in Hartford at 51.

He would have skated circles around 41 year old Jumbo.... not even joking.
Game was a touch slower then lol

This game and especially Toronto's game plan does not bode well for a guy like Thornton.

We seem to thrive on being on every puck, pinching dmen/covering the point, working as a unit to retrieve pucks, attack through possession and quick decisions.

Thornton plays a methodical game and more often than not he's trying to process faster, play catchup and ultimately make rushed plays.

He can't keep up to the pace and it's very tiring to watch him struggle, hate to see it..but he's a liability, has been for a little while now.

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
4th line hemmed the Habs in and almost scored on the 1 shift Gally had with them

Really shows how useless Joe is at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad