Confirmed with Link: What to do With Iafallo / Update: Iafallo re-signed 4 years, 16 million

What to do with Iafallo

• Total voters

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Iafallo is the type of guy who brings good beer to the party, will eat whatever is left in the chip bowl after all the divas grabbed the perfect dipping ones and will stick around to help you clean up after others leave.

Not everyone can be a pretty guy like Laine and have the jerk personality to go along with it. You need guys like this on the team as long as they are priced right.
I think we have different definitions of pretty
cut.jpeg

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The exciting thing about Iafallo is that if there are eventually players that come in and unseat him in the top six, his skill set easily translates to any line. My hope is that Iafallo, Kopitar, and Brown eventually become our elite third line!

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Iafallo is the type of guy who brings good beer to the party, will eat whatever is left in the chip bowl after all the divas grabbed the perfect dipping ones and will stick around to help you clean up after others leave.

Not everyone can be a pretty guy like Laine and have the jerk personality to go along with it. You need guys like this on the team as long as they are priced right.

solid wingman too

Reactions: lumbergh

Inner Turbulence

Jun 12, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
Iafallo may not be a flashy "1st line winger scoring at a point per game pace" but he is an honest hard-working player who seems to have a knack for recovering the puck in the offensive zone - and with that I think he makes Kopitar play better. And he seems to be earning some of Browns' PK and OT minutes this year.

He's pretty cheap and he's probably not going to break the bank this summer.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Iafallo is the type of winger you want on a line with Kopitar to insulate a guy like Kaliyev and his defensive deficiencies.

Kaliyev doesn’t throw hits like Brown but he is another heavy body and he can snipe. He lacks speed a la Kopitar so he won’t have to worry about keeping up with a faster pivot. Iafallo is fast enough to get in on the forcheck, win the battles and get the puck to Kopitar or Kaliyev.

it’s not a bad thing to have a Swiss Army knife up front

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Vowels currently on pace for 18G 25A 43pts in 56 games.

Term 3-4 years but $$ will have to be at around 3-4 million per. If he wants 4 million or more it will be a tough decision. No NMC so we can move him with some term if a prospect really needs to play as our 1LW. We don't have a prospect close to that yet.

Once thing for sure we won't get rid of him for a pick that can maybe pan out in 4 years.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I re-sign Iafallo to a short term deal, like 2 years. I know a lot of people on HFB like to deal vets to "make room" for prospects. I don't think that's the Kings/Lombardi's way. Tell the kids, you want that job you're going to have to beat this veteran 20 goal scorer. No one gets handed anything. Beat the guy like Voynov did to J Johnson (no pun intended) and force the GM to deal the vet.

Right now, no one is forcing Iafallo out. Until then, he's played with enough competence, energy and character to keep his job and be the standard that a new player needs to beat in order to earn a job. If he wants to stay and sign a deal that reflects that, might as well re-sign him. We can deal him later too.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I re-sign Iafallo to a short term deal, like 2 years. I know a lot of people on HFB like to deal vets to "make room" for prospects. I don't think that's the Kings/Lombardi's way. Tell the kids, you want that job you're going to have to beat this veteran 20 goal scorer. No one gets handed anything. Beat the guy like Voynov did to J Johnson (no pun intended) and force the GM to deal the vet.

Right now, no one is forcing Iafallo out. Until then, he's played with enough competence, energy and character to keep his job and be the standard that a new player needs to beat in order to earn a job. If he wants to stay and sign a deal that reflects that, might as well re-sign him. We can deal him later too.
He's not likely to sign a 2 year deal. This is his chance to get paid.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

People keep saying that someone needs to beat him out of his spot. Who has gotten a chance in his spot since hes been here? I think kupari has more offensive ability than he does. But id bet he doesnt get a chance there.
Yes i get that no one will be just given a job there. Though Iafallo had a strong camp in his first year and was literally given that job right then and there. Right place, right performance, at the right time. Hell Emerson etem had a good camp with the kings a couple years ago. He didnt even make the team over guys like lewis who were struggling at the time.
Im all for signing iafallo because hes a good player. But everyone keeps saying no one can beat him out of that job and its not true, because no one has been given a chance. With the next wave of high end talent coming in im hoping someone can take that first line wing spot and bump iafallo down so the kings top 9 will be stacked at that point.

Reactions: Rorschach

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
What to do with Iafallo? Re-sign him. Easiest question ever.
Re-sign him now or take the chance and wait until after the expansion draft?

Vowels currently on pace for 18G 25A 43pts in 56 games.

Term 3-4 years but $$ will have to be at around 3-4 million per. If he wants 4 million or more it will be a tough decision. No NMC so we can move him with some term if a prospect really needs to play as our 1LW. We don't have a prospect close to that yet.

Once thing for sure we won't get rid of him for a pick that can maybe pan out in 4 years.
At this pace, he's not getting anything less than 4 x 4.

Reactions: BringTheReign

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I looked up publicly available player similarity data for Iafallo (courtesy of De Lara Analytics), and these were the top 6 names that came up for his career through last season (April 2020).

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 2.09.31 PM.png

If you check CapFriendly for these players' contracts signed at a similar age to Iafallo after this season:
Dzingel = 2 x $3.375M
Marleau = 3 x $4.167M into a 2 x $6.3M deal
Janmark = 1 x $2.25M
Bailey = 6 x $5M
Eberle = 6 x $6M

I think Iafallo is a better player than Dzingel, Janmark, and Kahun, and may be as effective though not nearly as productive as Eberle. Bailey is someone I wasn't as familiar with, but looking at his production he looks like a great comparable. Marleau is a funny one because that was so long ago in the early cap era that it almost isn't worth including. It would be cool to see what his comparables are including this season's data, as he appears on track to increase his PT/G total again this year.

Anyways, I think folks here are on the right track as far as Iafallo receiving more than $4M/year. If I'm his camp, I'm looking at that Josh Bailey contract. Their production is pretty comparable.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
People keep saying that someone needs to beat him out of his spot. Who has gotten a chance in his spot since hes been here? I think kupari has more offensive ability than he does. But id bet he doesnt get a chance there.
Yes i get that no one will be just given a job there. Though Iafallo had a strong camp in his first year and was literally given that job right then and there. Right place, right performance, at the right time. Hell Emerson etem had a good camp with the kings a couple years ago. He didnt even make the team over guys like lewis who were struggling at the time.
Im all for signing iafallo because hes a good player. But everyone keeps saying no one can beat him out of that job and its not true, because no one has been given a chance. With the next wave of high end talent coming in im hoping someone can take that first line wing spot and bump iafallo down so the kings top 9 will be stacked at that point.

Yup.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Who should get a chance in that spot when no one can outproduce him in softer minutes and matchups in either the AHL OR NHL? Why try to fix what isn't broken with a part that hasn't proven to be any stronger, even ignoring chemistry?

You're right, Kupari has made a case in the last week that he may be ready for a little more. And I had said earlier in the thread that I'd like to see Grundstrom given a look there at some point too. But people are acting like there's three years' history of guys getting overlooked so we can feed teacher's pet Iafallo minutes when that's not the case.

Ultimately I guess this ends up being a philosophical question but every other line on the roster needs more 'help' than Iafallo needs to be displaced. Why are people trying so hard to deliberately not see this? Why is it such a MUST that someone take over that spot when the 2nd-3rd lines need a strong player even more? People are way too willing to overlook effectiveness in favor of experimenting with shiny new toys.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Who should get a chance in that spot when no one can outproduce him in softer minutes and matchups in either the AHL OR NHL? Why try to fix what isn't broken with a part that hasn't proven to be any stronger, even ignoring chemistry?

You're right, Kupari has made a case in the last week that he may be ready for a little more. And I had said earlier in the thread that I'd like to see Grundstrom given a look there at some point too. But people are acting like there's three years' history of guys getting overlooked so we can feed teacher's pet Iafallo minutes when that's not the case.

Ultimately I guess this ends up being a philosophical question but every other line on the roster needs more 'help' than Iafallo needs to be displaced. Why are people trying so hard to deliberately not see this? Why is it such a MUST that someone take over that spot when the 2nd-3rd lines need a strong player even more? People are way too willing to overlook effectiveness in favor of experimenting with shiny new toys.
I dont know who should have been tried there. Kopitar and brown produce with him there so i agree it works. Its just crazy that not one single player has been tried there in 3 years. Kovalchuk in a couple preseason games and maybe trevor lewis once or twice got bumped up during a game. There have been plenty of players in and out of the lineup the last 3 years that someone could have skated there though. At least try it just like how he got his chance as a team walk on. There have been stretches where they were losing and could have tried something out and someone could match his production and powerplay production. But its not a knock on iafallo as much as just pointing out that there hasnt been an opportunity for anyone else to prove they can play on the first line.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Plus experimenting with shiny new toys is all fans have to look forward to when the team is in the basement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->