Confirmed with Link: What to do With Iafallo / Update: Iafallo re-signed 4 years, 16 million

What to do with Iafallo

• Total voters

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i'm honestly a bit surprised that $4M aav required this intense and long of negotiations

4x4 kinda seemed like the nobrainer deal all along didn't it?

Just how negotiations go really, you stupidly argue around the edges until you arrive at a value that everyone else sees in the end.

Don't like the deal, but if there was no good trade offer out there, then I guess it's the best option.

AI better be 50 point player from here on out.

53 points for 4m is a great deal.

I'm well aware AI is going to be more than a few people's whipping boys for the next few years apparently no matter what he does, but frankly, it's misguided and lacking perspective.

Ready for 4 years of
A. he puts up 50-60+ points and he's riding Kopitar's coattails or
B. he puts up less than 50 and people rage even though even 40 points for 4m is a good deal and even though this contract prevents absolutely nothing and perfectly fits all comparables.

Reactions: tbrown33

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Don't like the deal, but if there was no good trade offer out there, then I guess it's the best option.

AI better be 50 point player from here on out.

I get it, but here's a list of contracts on the books for 2022-23, current roster guys only:

Kopitar
Iafallo
Wagner
Doughty
Walker
Bjornfot
Quick

There some guys that will get raises that are RFAs heading into that season but, point is, I don't think this contract has much of any impact for the next two seasons due to how much cap space Blake has to work with.

I'm definitely not in the camp of taking his counting stats and crowning him a Top 15 LW in the game because there is more to it than just that. Again, one of my biggest worries is that his points are empty calories since they come on last place teams while playing 19-20 minutes a night. What I do know is that he is a good hockey player though and we get to a point in this rebuild that you can't just get rid of everyone that is over 25 and coming up on a new contract.

I highly doubt he scores 50 points each year of this contract but 30-40 while playing 15 minutes a night towards the end of this deal isn't bad, IMO. That means more talented guys are playing above him as planned. I wouldn't expect the cap to be flat in three seasons either.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Not in shambles really,just see many games where the 1st line shits the bed because of the Twin Coattails! Hope the "Farm" boyz grow up fast and jell fast enough for LA to have REAL 1st line!

I think I speak for most people here when I say I don't want Iafallo on the top line, but until someone proves to be a better option, it's the best we've got.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Just how negotiations go really, you stupidly argue around the edges until you arrive at a value that everyone else sees in the end.

I'm well aware AI is going to be more than a few people's whipping boys for the next few years apparently no matter what he does, but frankly, it's misguided and lacking perspective.

Ready for 4 years of
B. he puts up less than 50 and people rage even though even 40 points for 4m is a good deal and even though this contract prevents absolutely nothing and perfectly fits all comparables.
Hes a whipping boy for me but even I like the deal. I was thinking by the way they talk about him and how much he plays he was maybe going to get 5-6.5 million a year and thought that he doesnt drive play enough to warrant that.
I think at worst that people will complain during his fourth year of this deal but even then it shouldnt be a problem.
I just hope once someone is ready to take his place they do not let him linger on in the top six just because hes a veteran.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Hes a whipping boy for me but even I like the deal. I was thinking by the way they talk about him and how much he plays he was maybe going to get 5-6.5 million a year and thought that he doesnt drive play enough to warrant that.
I think at worst that people will complain during his fourth year of this deal but even then it shouldnt be a problem.
I just hope once someone is ready to take his place they do not let him linger on in the top six just because hes a veteran.
that's how i feel too, reality is $4M doesn't buy you much nowadays, especially with the league's growth, TV deals and such. few years from now - even moreso. $3M would've felt like a bargain, $5M+ would've been overpayment so hey.

not his biggest fan but i feel like his game has been very strong lately, so i hope he keeps it up. even if he doesn't, meh..

Reactions: Schmooley

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
I have no idea why some people are stressed out about salary cap. We already have $10M in cap space and half way through AI's contract, we will gain additional space through expiring contracts of:

Brown: $5.9M
Maatta: $3.3M
Carter: $2.6M
Phaneuf: $1.1M
Kovalchuk: $6.3M
Total: $19.2M

Other than Kempe, AA, and Petersen (none of which will break the bank), we don't really have any UFAs.

Fun fact: according to capfriendly, the Kings had $42.3M they could have weaponized on deadline day.

Reactions: verbalkint47

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
So Hoven was wrong again when he said AI was gone. He all but had himself and Bernstein driving Iafollo to the airport and walking him to the gate.

Just as wrong as the guy here huffin' and puffin' that $5M a year is "reasonable" for AI.

LMAO.
4cc0a572-b516-4785-a65d-4f22e84e6d24_text.gif

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Happy with this deal for this tattoo-on-butt Kings player. He left at least 2 mil on the table I believe.

While we always want veteran playmaking centers to help young wingers get acclimated to the NHL, it's also helpful to have veteran wingers help young centers too...and young centers is what we got.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Happy with this deal for this tattoo-on-butt Kings player. He left at least 2 mil on the table I believe.

While we always want veteran playmaking centers to help young wingers get acclimated to the NHL, it's also helpful to have veteran wingers help young centers too...and young centers is what we got.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

Ready for 4 years of

Exactly what's going to happen if things workout and the team is good by year 3, he's gonna be playing on the 3rd line, behind some mystery player that we'll find out about in the next 15 months and whichever young guy emerges in that Top 6 role (hopefully Arty).

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
How? They aren't remotely similar.
I think you know what I mean. I'm talking in terms of production.

Versteeg was a guy who hit the 40/50 point pace in some seasons in the right situation, but outside of that he wasn't able to do much. I just fear that's what Iafallo will end up being.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think you know what I mean. I'm talking in terms of production.

Versteeg was a guy who hit the 40/50 point pace in some seasons in the right situation, but outside of that he wasn't able to do much. I just fear that's what Iafallo will end up being.

The biggest difference is Versteeg was absolutely worthless when not scoring.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The biggest difference is Versteeg was absolutely worthless when not scoring.
Well this is it. If Iafallo isn’t scoring he doesn’t hurt you, he still kills penalties and still drives play. So I’m not sure what people who criticise him actually expect, why make him the whipping boy? It’s up to other players to make the case to take his spot in 1LW, because right now no one has been able to even nail down 2LW.

We would all love more consistent, less streaky scoring but then Iafallo would be an 8 million player. All we need is for a couple of guys to emerge and take the top 2 spots on wing, let’s go with Turcotte and Kalyev. If they are then supported by Kempe, Iafallo and Vilardi our wing situation will suddenly look great. You’d be able to plug Iafallo into the correct spot in the lineup and we’d be debating how to fit AA, Thomas, Fagemo and Moore into the lineup.

If we get to the point of no longer needing him, his all around game means he’s a solid pickup for any team. Given our roster structure and the money likely going on/off the payroll it’d be easy to eat even half his contract to facilitate a move if we really had to.

It’s a solid signing, at a fair price and it’s highly improbable that his contract is going to hurt us at any point.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Interested to know which prospect will take on the 1LW role next year.

Turcotte - 2 Goals in the AHL (1 in an open net) needs at least half season in the AHL next year.
Madden - He also needs to grow, way to small for the NHL right now.
Fagemo - See him more of a middle 6 winger.
Kaliyev- Plays RW - can he move over to play LW. He also needs some more time.

It's not like we have a Stutzle in the AHL ready to take over the 1LW. We don't even have a prospect that can come in and add 45-55 pts a season, nevermind putting on the added pressure on the player getting top minutes vs the other teams top line.

The only way to upgrade the top line next year will be via trade or UFA. Sure get Gabriel at 8 million, good luck if he leaves the avs and the C on a contender for LA. RNH, same. We might have the cap space but will they come to a rebuilding team.

Forget Iafallo, it's done and a good move IMO, he is the last of my worries.
Build the team's back end and get an established second line. Beef up the roster and get a supporting Vet.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomd

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Interested to know which prospect will take on the 1LW role next year.

Turcotte - 2 Goals in the AHL (1 in an open net) needs at least half season in the AHL next year.
Madden - He also needs to grow, way to small for the NHL right now.
Fagemo - See him more of a middle 6 winger.
Kaliyev- Plays RW - can he move over to play LW. He also needs some more time.

It's not like we have a Stutzle in the AHL ready to take over the 1LW. We don't even have a prospect that can come in and add 45-55 pts a season, nevermind putting on the added pressure on the player getting top minutes vs the other teams top line.

The only way to upgrade the top line next year will be via trade or UFA. Sure get Gabriel at 8 million, good luck if he leaves the avs and the C on a contender for LA. RNH, same. When might have the cap space but will they come to a rebuilding team.

Forget Iafallo, it's done and a good move IMO, he is the last of my worries.
Build the team's back end and get an established second line. Beef up the roster and get a supporting Vet.

Outside of drafting well and that really is more of having a good staff below him, Blake hasn't really moved the meter as a GM when it comes to trades to upgrade the current roster. Hopefully, that will change.

Reactions: tomd

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Todd McLellan said it again... twice... in his media availability yesterday.

Alex Iafallo is a player that other players specifically ask to play with.

He's said it at least half a dozen times this season alone.

Given that he plays more than 90% (not an estimation or a guess) of his even strength minutes with Anze Kopiter, I leave it to your imagination to sort out which player"s" are asking to play with him.

19/11/23 - 67.4%
19/11/9 - 14.6%
19/11/77 - 2.3%
19/11/12 - 1.9%
etc etc etc

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Did anyone ask Kopitar if he specifically wants to play with Pat Laine? Should his answer on this or any player dictate management’s decisions? Doughty specifically asked to partner up with Bjornfot, what happened there?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad