Confirmed with Link: What to do With Iafallo / Update: Iafallo re-signed 4 years, 16 million

What to do with Iafallo

• Total voters

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I don't see why we would trade Iafallo for a late-1st rounder. The odds of that 1st rounder becoming Iafallo is less than 15% or so. Of course, if there is no realistic deal on the table to sign Iafallo that is a different story. But if there is a reasonable deal for short term, I don't see why you would trade him.

Would only make sense if the Kings then used that 1st rounder (along with their existing first) to move up in the draft to grab Power, Hughes, etc. or packaged to upgrade the pro roster.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don't see why we would trade Iafallo for a late-1st rounder. The odds of that 1st rounder becoming Iafallo is less than 15% or so. Of course, if there is no realistic deal on the table to sign Iafallo that is a different story. But if there is a reasonable deal for short term, I don't see why you would trade him.

The only reason to trade Iafallo for a first is if the management thinks the Kings ain't shit for a few years. So it's very possible they trade him because the contract they'd sign him to at his age is going to be essentially a waste of 2-3 years of time. Then maybe when the Kings are competitive in his UFA year, where he'd be 30 years old already. I'd keep him too if I had hope that this team would make a serious playoff push in the next two years. But I don't.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The only reason to trade Iafallo for a first is if the management thinks the Kings ain't shit for a few years. So it's very possible they trade him because the contract they'd sign him to at his age is going to be essentially a waste of 2-3 years of time. Then maybe when the Kings are competitive in his UFA year, where he'd be 30 years old already. I'd keep him too if I had hope that this team would make a serious playoff push in the next two years. But I don't.

Yes but that’s not the plan. The plan is for the Kings to compete for the playoffs next year. We sort of saw it happening this year where we improved to be a bubble team. Next year is another step forward. The rebuild is done. Now to develop our prospects and get new pieces so that we are in a position to be dangerous in playoffs in 2 years. We can’t keep getting picks that will take years to develop.

Reactions: Oof and tomd

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yes but that’s not the plan. The plan is for the Kings to compete for the playoffs next year. We sort of saw it happening this year where we improved to be a bubble team. Next year is another step forward. The rebuild is done. Now to develop our prospects and get new pieces so that we are in a position to be dangerous in playoffs in 2 years. We can’t keep getting picks that will take years to develop.

The rebuild is done when the King show competency and the youth take a step forward. We don't know if Byfield is on the team next year or even Turcotte. And if Byfield sucks, then the rebuild has another few more years.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Would only make sense if the Kings then used that 1st rounder (along with their existing first) to move up in the draft to grab Power, Hughes, etc. or packaged to upgrade the pro roster.

Ding ding ding. I'm sure they would happily package both picks (assuming their own isn't in a certain spot), along with a young player or two to get the desired LW1 or Top 4 LHD.

Last edited:

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The rebuild is done when the King show competency and the youth take a step forward. We don't know if Byfield is on the team next year or even Turcotte. And if Byfield sucks, then the rebuild has another few more years.

They have done that. I consider this season a success from where we stand. We are competitive and a bubble team, which was the track expected this season. Making the playoffs would have just been gravy at this juncture. Our defense looks good with the emergence of Roy, Anderson, and Bjorfot. We just need a LHD, and top 6 forward. I think Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, and others may fill the other voids in the next year or two. Trading away Iafallo will set us back. He is competitive and a solid second or third liner once we get someone else to play in the top line.

Of course it is uncertain how the prospects will turn out, but the above three shouldn't be less than 20 goal scorers IMO.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The goal of this season was to play meaningful games down the stretch. In any season, that looks like getting eliminated from playoff contention in the last week or two.

The Kings could go on a heater and climb back in the race. But to declare this season as a step forward so far would be saying a single winning streak satisfies you. Low expectations if true.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
They have done that. I consider this season a success from where we stand. We are competitive and a bubble team, which was the track expected this season. Making the playoffs would have just been gravy at this juncture. Our defense looks good with the emergence of Roy, Anderson, and Bjorfot. We just need a LHD, and top 6 forward. I think Byfield, Turcotte, Kaliyev, and others may fill the other voids in the next year or two. Trading away Iafallo will set us back. He is competitive and a solid second or third liner once we get someone else to play in the top line.

Of course it is uncertain how the prospects will turn out, but the above three shouldn't be less than 20 goal scorers IMO.

I don't see how doing so poorly in one of the weakest divisions in the NHL this year is any sign of positivity.

One of my issues every offseason is thinking this team looks decent on paper so I'm optimistic. Then I see how uninspired they play and then it all comes crashing down.

A team that showed absolutely ZERO heart when they controller their own destiny let the sharks REPEATEDLY curb stomp any chance of the playoffs. They showed no balls at all. They didn't lose with pride or show any bite. They played like a bunch of useless p***yes. The Kings are now nearly dead last yet again all thanks to an overwhelming obvious cancer in the lockeroom or management. This team rarely shows up to play. And they haven't solved that issue yet.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I don't see how doing so poorly in one of the weakest divisions in the NHL this year is any sign of positivity.

One of my issues every offseason is thinking this team looks decent on paper so I'm optimistic. Then I see how uninspired they play and then it all comes crashing down.

The Ducks and Kings are the weakest on paper. The other teams had good rosters, like the Sharks, but may be underperforming. Considering none of our top prospects are in the lineup and we are still a bubble team makes it a success.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

A team that showed absolutely ZERO heart when they controller their own destiny let the sharks REPEATEDLY curb stomp any chance of the playoffs. They showed no balls at all. They didn't lose with pride or show any bite. They played like a bunch of useless p***yes. The Kings are now nearly dead last yet again all thanks to an overwhelming obvious cancer in the lockeroom or management. This team rarely shows up to play. And they haven't solved that issue yet.
Who is the cancer? I didnt know there were issues with players

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The Ducks and Kings are the weakest on paper. The other teams had good rosters, like the Sharks, but may be underperforming. Considering none of our top prospects are in the lineup and we are still a bubble team makes it a success.

Kings have an arguably better roster than the Ducks and we still lose to them as well.

Before the Kings even get a whiff of the playoffs they need to begin losing with dignity. Kings are also losing cause they don't compete as hard as others teams. The second when the Kings begin losing games that they were actually in to begin with is a step in the right direction. How many half asses games have we seen this year? Way too many.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Who is the cancer? I didnt know there were issues with players

I don't know, but there's obviously something wrong in the locker room or in management that the Kings are always playing unprepared for games. Is it a lack of preparation or a bad locker room? Or both? There's something not right.

Doughtys comment recently suggested players are taking games off. That's a big concern. Means there's something not right on the team.

I have legit no problems with losses if any team or I try well enough personally. I have problems with how they're losing however. The way the Kings lose this season is a big problem to me.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I don't know, but there's obviously something wrong in the locker room or in management that the Kings are always playing unprepared for games. Is it a lack of preparation or a bad locker room? Or both? There's something not right.

Doughtys comment recently suggested players are taking games off. That's a big concern. Means there's something not right on the team.

Plot twist: It's Iafallo. Kidding.

Reactions: Sol

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

I have legit no problems with losses if any team or I try well enough personally. I have problems with how they're losing however. The way the Kings lose this season is a big problem to me.
Yea they have been starting games badly for years now. Funny thing about doughtys comments that game was that it was the veterans out there for the goals against in the beginning and not rookies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yea they have been starting games badly for years now. Funny thing about doughtys comments that game was that it was the veterans out there for the goals against in the beginning and not rookies.

Yeah but he's not gonna talk about the Vets when it's obvious the vets are the ones who are taking games off more than the youth.

Reactions: Schmooley

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Taylor Hall with 50% retention barely had any return. I doubt Iafallo will return us much in any trade. It's not a seller's market.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Taylor Hall with 50% retention barely had any return. I doubt Iafallo will return us much in any trade. It's not a seller's market.

It's not a seller's market, but Foligno and Savard just returned first round picks? Hall had a full NMC. Boston didn't have to offer as much because not many teams were on Hall's list.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I mean Taylor Hall is a big name but he's had 2 goals (!) and 19 points in 37 games this season. Iafallo has had 11 goals and 25 points in 39 games.

I hope they come to terms and sign him to an extension. A 2nd rounder and a B level prospect is not what we need right now. A late 1st isn't much better. We need quality NHL players on the right side of 30 and Iafallo is one.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I mean Taylor Hall is a big name but he's had 2 goals (!) and 19 points in 37 games this season. Iafallo has had 11 goals and 25 points in 39 games.

I hope they come to terms and sign him to an extension. A 2nd rounder and a B level prospect is not what we need right now. A late 1st isn't much better. We need quality NHL players on the right side of 30 and Iafallo is one.

Not at 5 x 5 playing middle 6 minutes sooner than later he ain't.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
It's not a seller's market, but Foligno and Savard just returned first round picks? Hall had a full NMC. Boston didn't have to offer as much because not many teams were on Hall's list.
Maybe Hall is an overated NHL player at this point of his career. GM's are getting wiseer.

A guy like Carter with his playoff experience, has more value right now than Taylor Hall, who has helped his teams to the playoffs, what once?

The other teams after him were all playof bound teams, I truly believe this is the best the Sabres could get for a guy who has scored 2 goals and 19 points this seaon

Iafallo's agent knows the Kings are one of the few teams in the NHL no longer in Cap hell, and the revenue numbers are not going to go up next year. So he will try to milk it for all he can. But Kings cannot be stupid here, you do not pay 5 million per for a 3.5 million guy.

Right now players values are based on cap, and if the cap was 90 million Iafallo is a 5 million guy but the cap is not close to that, and salaries will need to adjust accordingly

Last edited:

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Not at 5 x 5 playing middle 6 minutes sooner than later he ain't.

No that would certainly be an unreasonable contract. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't even get that on the open market.

Another option would be to keep him and let him go to free agency as a King and see what other offers are out there. They are likely in line with what the Kings are offering now so he might wise up and opt to stay.

That'd be a big gamble though, not sure I'd have the balls to go that route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad