What to Do With Hynes Poll

What do you think we should do with Hynes, and where is the team headed this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
These definitely all factor in, I just think we've set the system up for failure in that we'd rather prospects get big minutes down in Milwaukee to aid their development, and then every season refuse to give them a shot to actually stick on the roster. We've had sufficient depth and security of making the playoffs before this season to leave the 22nd/23 roster spots for a d prospect/fwd prospect. Give them every 3rd game or so, more if they perform well, and then they train with the big club the rest of the time. Far more beneficial than keeping all of Weber, Irwin, Bitetto around year after year and wondering whether any of the kids may be good enough next season.
Dmen I can agree with, I can't really think of a forward that has been blocked though.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
If Poile can't figure out how to turn this ship around (starting with firing Hynes whether tomorrow or in the off-season) then he needs to go as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: bdub24

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Our playoff chances vary between 10-15 % depending on the model you're using, so even if a new coach were to come in, something miraculous would have to happen for us to reach the playoffs.

Riding with Hynes leads to higher draft position and when we start selling, we should see more of the younger players.

Hiring a new coach would provide some more insight as to who we should protect in the ED and who we should expose.

An interim choice like Taylor would be my preferred choice but given that this season is already lost barring a miracle, I can live with keeping Hynes and going for a top-five pick.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
There is also the possibility that ownership really doesn’t care that much because they are missing out on the playoff revenue that would be there in normal years.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F97d62b71-2e91-4e94-82cf-b220c3c6114b_480x270.gif

options 1 and 3 are laughable

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Another reason I voted to ride out the season is I don't want a repeat of last year when Poile fires a guy and instead of an interim coach he gives some crappy retread a 2 year deal and we repeat the cycle.

Wait until after the season and completely clean house.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Another reason I voted to ride out the season is I don't want a repeat of last year when Poile fires a guy and instead of an interim coach he gives some crappy retread a 2 year deal and we repeat the cycle.

Wait until after the season and completely clean house.
This my thoughts also plus a top 5 pick in a stinky draft still may have value if 1 GM wants to trade up for a Powers or Eklund (E5 rumor) and offers a first next year.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This my thoughts also plus a top 5 pick in a stinky draft still may have value if 1 GM wants to trade up for a Powers or Eklund (E5 rumor) and offers a first next year.

I mean if we could draft Powers/Hughes and trade Ekholm for a great forward prospect/young player, I would count that as a win personally.

Reactions: preds1

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I mean if we could draft Powers/Hughes and trade Ekholm for a great forward prospect/young player, I would count that as a win personally.

Speaking of which, what is the price people would be willing to trade Ekholm? If we were to trade him, we could kiss goodbye to the playoffs next year as well and our bottom-five defense in the league would look even more uglier.

Would Muzzin-like deal work? A 1st and a B prospect?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Muzzin is probably a decent comparable but with the current cap situation around the league I would think we should get a bit more. I would definitely shop Ekholm for whatever the best deal you can get for him though as I don't think we should re-sign him long term given that we already have two D signed well into their 30s. If we could somehow move Ellis for a decent return then I'd keep Ekholm, but I see that as very unlikely.

Reactions: originalpredfan

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Dealing Ekholm would suck and set the rebuild of some sorts in motion but for the Muzzin price, you have to consider it.

By making that deal, however, we have to come to terms with the fact that a high pick is realism next year as well.

If it were up to me, I would seriously try to move Ellis before the expansion draft and try to sign Ekholm to an extension. I think he could handle more offensive responsibilities than he does now, I see a bit Jeff Petry in him.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Dealing Ekholm would suck and set the rebuild of some sorts in motion but for the Muzzin price, you have to consider it.

By making that deal, however, we have to come to terms with the fact that a high pick is realism next year as well.

If it were up to me, I would seriously try to move Ellis before the expansion draft and try to sign Ekholm to an extension. I think he could handle more offensive responsibilities than he does now, I see a bit Jeff Petry in him.

Yeah there are just a lot of variables out there that I don't really know like what is Ekholm's contract ask and what the market for Ekholm/Ellis is. At the end of the day I don't think it would be a good choice to have both signed long term so one will have to go. In a vacuum I take Ekholm over Ellis, but when you consider what the return may be in a trade for either of them moving Ekholm becomes the more attractive option.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah there are just a lot of variables out there that I don't really know like what is Ekholm's contract ask and what the market for Ekholm/Ellis is. At the end of the day I don't think it would be a good choice to have both signed long term so one will have to go. In a vacuum I take Ekholm over Ellis, but when you consider what the return may be in a trade for either of them moving Ekholm becomes the more attractive option.

I think Petry's a good comparable for Ekholm. Somewhere around $5-6 mil.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think Petry's a good comparable for Ekholm. Somewhere around $5-6 mil.

Yeah I'd expect $5-6 mil for 5-6 years and if that's the case you're looking at paying $20+ million for Josi, Ellis, and Ekholm until they are all in their late 30s. That would be a huge mistake so someone has got to go even if it hurts us in the short term.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah I'd expect $5-6 mil for 5-6 years and if that's the case you're looking at paying $20+ million for Josi, Ellis, and Ekholm until they are all in their late 30s. That would be a huge mistake so someone has got to go even if it hurts us in the short term.

Agreed, we can't tie our hands into that situation. One of them has got to go at least before Ekholm's deal is up.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would keep Ekholm over Ellis, but I would be very firmly against giving out more than 4 years term to Ekholm either way. Force him to want to work hard and stay on top of his game for one more contract in the league after the next one. We can't go giving out an 8-year deal to Ekholm, even if we were able to move Ellis too.

Forsberg is the last time I want to see one of these crazy long-term deals. One more to Forsberg, then break that mould until a new franchise player emerges.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I think Ekholm will be traded, before the expansion draft. With Allard, Farrance and Carrier in the pipeline something is going to have to give regardless.
Agree. But, boy, will the Preds miss him. He’s a premier Dman. In fact, he’s been protecting his on ice partners for so long it’s become standard procedure. Teams should be willing to give up a lot for him if they have done their homework. The 2 guys who’ll miss him the most are Pekka and Saros.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Agree. But, boy, will the Preds miss him. He’s a premier Dman. In fact, he’s been protecting his on ice partners for so long it’s become standard procedure. Teams should be willing to give up a lot for him if they have done their homework. The 2 guys who’ll miss him the most are Pekka and Saros.
If Ekholm enjoys the simple life as much as he says and isn't too swayed by his agent or whatever, then if he'll re-sign for 4yrs x $5M, I'd just keep him anyway. He's worth more than that by today's standards, and he should be getting paid more than Ellis. But if he doesn't care about things like that and is happy to stay here, then we might as well continue to take advantage of it. It's going to be a long and rocky road to find or develop another D to replace him if we trade him away.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Here's a wild idea (and partly tongue in cheek), why not move Josi and Ellis to forward positions as that is where both seem to want to play, and see what we can get defense wise for our surplus of third and forth line forwards. If were talking about blowing up why not go full dynamite.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I’m honestly at the point I might just stop watching games until we replace Hynes. I can deal with being bad and losing but we generate so little offense it isn’t even entertaining. Like did we even have a legitimate scoring chance all game?

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I’m honestly at the point I might just stop watching games until we replace Hynes. I can deal with being bad and losing but we generate so little offense it isn’t even entertaining. Like did we even have a legitimate scoring chance all game?
Maybe one. Arvy got flattened before he could knock it in, so it wasn't much of one.

So zero.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad