Equipment: What to do with broken sticks

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Total Hockey used to recycle them, so I have a few sitting around my basement. I don't want to just pitch them if I can get anything out of them. Any ideas? Any other recycling programs?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I make shelves out of them for my equipment room. I mount a bracket on the wall and lay down the broken sticks on top. Good for storing my folded hockey socks, tape, old helmets, etc.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
I turned one into a curtain rod. Also have one hanging on my garage wall that I hang souvenir mini sticks from NHL teams on. There are a lot of people who do some crafty stuff with them if you're not into that, maybe you can sell them on let go or eBay.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
puck%20shelf_zpszakdvopu.jpg

I made an autographed puck holder from a few. Plan on making a coffee table in the future.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
CoffeeTable-Glass%20Top_Angle.jpg

Depending where my stick breaks, I either cut off the blade and attach a plastic one for street hockey or I'll cut the shaft down for a useable mini stick.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I have my composites repaired locally for $30. The difference to me is minimal, and for the cost can't be beat. Even a repaired high-end stick is much lighter than most of the mid-range ones that many people play with anyway, so it sure doesn't bother me. I don't notice any difference in flex or release at all, and I'm pretty picky. Not incredibly picky, I guess.

Anyway, I do that unless it's beyond repair, in which case I just toss it. I have in the past saved a couple blade/hosels for my kid though. Make some art!

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
CoffeeTable-Glass%20Top_Angle.jpg

Depending where my stick breaks, I either cut off the blade and attach a plastic one for street hockey or I'll cut the shaft down for a useable mini stick.

That coffee table is pretty cool and would be a great project. You could probably sell that stuff with just a little time investment while the materials would otherwise be worthless.

I've got several retired sticks on the walls of my games room, but the broken sticks go in the garbage. I might start putting 'em away and maybe have a go at doing something like that coffee table.

I guess the shafts could have some uses in the garden too.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
The sky is the limit; so many poeple have done creative stuff with broken sticks - heck, look at the coffee table.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
a friend (stole the idea from a bar) made a bar top in his man cave. Also had a bench. Both were really cool. He found a site online of how/what to make.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Wow, there's some beautiful ideas in here :amazed:

It takes me so long to go through sticks though that I'd probably never have enough to make a table out of :D

By the way, is Total Hockey not doing stick recycling anymore?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Is it safe just sawing through composite sticks? I would presume some of the materials in them aren't too good for you?

They're basically just carbon fiber and epoxy. You're fine, and how exactly are you using your sticks without cutting them to length, anyway?

Hacksaws work best, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad