Line Combos: What to do if Mule and Bert are out for a few games?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Agree on both points. Abby is useless at center but Andersson has not impressed.

To Abdelkader's credit, he has won over 53% of his draws this season. I prefer him on the wing, but he's been dependable as a center, and if we're going with Gus and Tatar in the top6, I think you have to him at center, with Cleary on his wing.

The reason why is that it's the only way that line will get more than 10 minutes of ice time, which would be at least some of the point in moving Gator down - to deepen the lineup and take some of the ice time off the shoulders of the top6.

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
At this point of the season, we're gunning for the fourth seed. A pack of 20 year olds, I doubt, would make that much of a difference. Their inexperience, I'd wager, would probably hinder our chances at home ice advantage. At this point, the only consensus NHL ready prospect in the AHL is Nyquist.

Honestly I'm not concerned with this team making a run at home ice for the playoffs in this season. I'm concerned with us getting our future pieces in place so they can gain the experience we need them to so 2-3 years from now we'll be a truly dangerous team.

Old players who bring nothing to the team do nothing but prohibit us from developing our talent.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It's a good thing Holland did sign all these vets. Who's to say if he didn't that half the lineup would be comprised of the Grand Rapids Griffins by now? Heck, we're already close to calling up a fourth member of the Griffins now.

Yes, Carlo Colaicovo, Mikael Samuelsson and Jonas Gustavssoon have all had a major impact on this team by providing much needed depth. :laugh:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Honestly I'm not concerned with this team making a run at home ice for the playoffs in this season. I'm concerned with us getting our future pieces in place so they can gain the experience we need them to so 2-3 years from now we'll be a truly dangerous team.

Old players who bring nothing to the team do nothing but prohibit us from developing our talent.

Yeah, I have no interest in the circle jerk about how great our prospect pool is at this point in time. Who cares? Can they actually play in the NHL? Cause that's really all that matters.

Brian Lashoff? Love what I see. Joakim Andersson? Looking pretty solid. Tomas Tatar? Displayed some very nice hands and skill last game. PLUS these guys have been playing hockey since the start of the hockey season so they're in top shape and are not blowing their groins like the old guys who have been sitting around doing nothing during the lockout.

If our prospect pool is really all that right now is the time to find out who can play and who can be traded or waived.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Just to be clear Tatar broke the story almost 10 minutes before everyone else on Twitter, I think he has a future in "breaking stories"

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Yes, Carlo Colaicovo, Mikael Samuelsson and Jonas Gustavssoon have all had a major impact on this team by providing much needed depth. :laugh:

Laugh all you want, but the roster spots they took up at the beginning of the season meant it took longer to get into the depth chart than it could have without the vets. Young guys aren't invulnerable. Injuries to them would have meant disaster.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Just to be clear Tatar broke the story almost 10 minutes before everyone else on Twitter, I think he has a future in "breaking stories"

I think it's more a case of spilling the beans, he did the same with his call-up, he posted it to facebook hours before it was confirmed.

GrafSk8r12

Jul 4, 2011
:laugh: Just read Dolph's post and was thinking about that Simpsons episode where there's a flashback to Homer and Marge dating, and as they are coming out of the theater after seeing Empire Strikes Back and in front of the line of people waiting to get in, Homer drops "Who would have known that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father?" Fantastic!

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Laugh all you want, but the roster spots they took up at the beginning of the season meant it took longer to get into the depth chart than it could have without the vets. Young guys aren't invulnerable. Injuries to them would have meant disaster.

Yes, because they've played in so many games thus far. :shakehead They've literally added nothing to date. They weren't even in the lineup to get injured. Based on your posting history I understand this is lost on you.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Yes, because they've played in so many games thus far. :shakehead They've literally added nothing to date. They weren't even in the lineup to get injured.
Huh? Well they're already injured, and we've taken all three of the Griffins top players as well as their top defensive pairing. Imagine if we didn't have those vets and our thin depth gets exposed and we'd have to resort to bringing up guys like Francis Pare, cause that's the reality we'd be looking at with all the young guys and no vets signed/resigned. It's clear the real person who's lost is you.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sheahan and Ferraro?

:laugh: Bingo, and they would provide depth scoring and comfort on the lower lines. Don't hope for injuries to anyone, but Sheahan and Ferraro would have been called up over Andersson if it was me. Plus Pare is having a very good year, I think he is more a big time AHL guy here shortly like Locke, Bourque or Aucion, but for a couple games he can get by.

There is a reason the Griffins are leading their division. Sure Nyquist, Tatar, Smith (pre-lockout ending) and Mrazek are huge, you can also throw in Lashoff. But don't sleep on some of the other guys really contributing down there. Ferraro and Sheahan have been vital to that teams success. Along with Mrazek taking off Sheahan's owning of a top six role in November on has been a big story as has Ferraro's consistent scoring and energy.

By the way my lord are the Griffins in a tough spot right now, I know the big club is more important, but we have half their top six a part of their top pair on D and their starting goalie.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ferraro is injured. If we have the same amount of injuries without the vets, we would seriously be talking about calling up AHL vets, or calling up OHL players to fill our spots. 9 injuries. That's ridiculous.

Have not heard an update on Ferraro, so have been assuming he is fine, do you have a link to him being out?

I know he left the game but really no news since I took as good news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad