Line Combos: What to do if Mule and Bert are out for a few games?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When did Nyquist become chopped liver?

If you're going to call up Sheahan to be the 3c or 4c that makes sense. Calling him up to play top 6 wing over Nyquist would make 0 sense.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
34855513.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0248pUAteWk

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

If you're going to call up Sheahan to be the 3c or 4c that makes sense. Calling him up to play top 6 wing over Nyquist would make 0 sense.

The main reason is because it's obvious Babcock wants a bigger guy on each scoring line. When healthy that would be Bert and Mule. If Sammy is healthy he'd be put on one of those lines. Since none of them are healthy Babs is putting Cleary and Abby up there. Cleary obviously doesn't belong, so that's why I'm suggesting giving Sheahan a try on a scoring line. He's got the size Babs is seeking but should be a much more useful player than Cleary.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012

I believe that was suggested under the assumption that they wanted guys with size to replace Bert/Mule. Under that criterion Sheahan wins out over Gus.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The main reason is because it's obvious Babcock wants a bigger guy on each scoring line. When healthy that would be Bert and Mule. If Sammy is healthy he'd be put on one of those lines. Since none of them are healthy Babs is putting Cleary and Abby up there. Cleary obviously doesn't belong, so that's why I'm suggesting giving Sheahan a try on a scoring line. He's got the size Babs is seeking but should be a much more useful player than Cleary.

Ahhh ok that makes sense then. I think that's a bit overrated since our best line last year was Hudler-Z-Fil and none of them are very big, but I do understand the thought process, and Babs does like size.

I'd really like to see Riley get a shot at 3rd line center myself. Run something like this, that puts helm back at 4th line and gives us an awesome 4th line.

Franzen-Z-Brunner
Fil-Dats-Bert
Tatar-Sheahan-Sammy
Abby-Helm-Tootoo

When we are healthy, I think that would be an awesome lineup.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Ahhh ok that makes sense then. I think that's a bit overrated since our best line last year was Hudler-Z-Fil and none of them are very big, but I do understand the thought process, and Babs does like size.

I'd really like to see Riley get a shot at 3rd line center myself. Run something like this, that puts helm back at 4th line and gives us an awesome 4th line.

Franzen-Z-Brunner
Fil-Dats-Bert
Tatar-Sheahan-Sammy
Abby-Helm-Tootoo

When we are healthy, I think that would be an awesome lineup.

My thought is bring Sheahan up to fill a specific need and then he plays so well and Babs likes him so much he goes to Ken Holland in his best little kid pining for a puppy voice and says "awwww pleeassse can we keep him? I promise to walk him and clean up his poop and wash him. Pllleeeeaassse."

At that point you can move Sheahan to center. ;)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The line-up for tomorrow night is looking pretty brutal.

Here are the lines they skated with Thursday:
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/02/red_wings_hoping_to_trim_ice_t.html

Justin Abdelkader-Henrik Zetterberg-Damien Brunner

Valtteri Filppula-Pavel Datsyuk-Daniel Cleary

Tomas Tatar-Joakim Andersson-Patrick Eaves

Drew Miller-Cory Emmerton-Jordin Tootoo

Would really like to see Sheahan play 3rd line C over Andersson, the guy looked like a statue vs LA. Also hopefully they tie a rope from Filppula to Cleary so he can drag him into the zone with him to keep up with the play. :laugh:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Who is going to have the highest TOI out of that bottom6 the next game? Miller's got to be the favorite, I'd guess with 12:30. Tatar's the darkhorse if we get a lot of PP time. I bet the other four all get under 10 minutes...

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Who is going to have the highest TOI out of that bottom6 the next game? Miller's got to be the favorite, I'd guess with 12:30. Tatar's the darkhorse if we get a lot of PP time. I bet the other four all get under 10 minutes...

Who knows, but I'm actually fairly confident in these lines. Andersson as the 3rd line center scares me however, don't think he's made a fool of himself but he's a 4th line guy at best for the time being. On the other hand, the bottom six lines are interchangeable.

I'm more pessimistic about the top six having two guys that can't even be considered as scoring pluggers.

RedWingsNow*

Who knows, but I'm actually fairly confident in these lines. Andersson as the 3rd line center scares me however, don't think he's made a fool of himself but he's a 4th line guy at best for the time being. On the other hand, the bottom six lines are interchangeable.

I'm more pessimistic about the top six having two guys that can't even be considered as scoring pluggers.

pretty sure the 3rd and4 th lines are reversed

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I'm all for giving players a legitimate shot at the top 6 if they deserve it. But in a shortened season you don't have time to experiment. Abdelkader is not (and probably will never be) a top 6 player. He can't play a fluid, puck-possession style Hank, Brunner and Mule play. His game is "skate it to the opponent's zone, forecheck, hit anything that moves and try to put the goalie under pressure". Those are his limitations.

Tatar should play in the top 6 and I'd give Eaves a shot with Z.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
I'm all for giving players a legitimate shot at the top 6 if they deserve it. But in a shortened season you don't have time to experiment. Abdelkader is not (and probably will never be) a top 6 player. He can't play a fluid, puck-possession style Hank, Brunner and Mule play. His game is "skate it to the opponent's zone, forecheck, hit anything that moves and try to put the goalie under pressure". Those are his limitations.

Tatar should play in the top 6 and I'd give Eaves a shot with Z.

I think I finally give up on Babcock. How he can put two guys who have combined for 1 goal and 1 assist through 26 games beside Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg is absolutely mind boggling. This is not a good product to ice, plain and simple.

Babcock has two skilled guys in Tatar, who has as many points as Cleary and Abby do in 5 games rather than 26, and Nyqvist, who is a PPG in the AHL.

This need for size for players playing alongside Dats and Z is a some sort of weird idea Babcock, and other people have thought up, which i just DO NOT understand. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are such good players that they create space on their own for their linemates without the NEED FOR SIZE. That`s what big guys do, they create space and make it harder for the opposition. That is exactly what Datsyuk and Zetterberg do because they are EXTREMELY skilled, which is something all skilled players do!

You gotta score goals to win the game, why is that so hard to understand? Instead of getting offensively skilled guys to play with the Wings best players, Babcock puts perhaps the teams LEAST offensive players. Because they're BIG! They aren't EVEN that big!!!!:madfire:

I'm so mad, so pissed off right now at seeing that line up.

Nyqvist - Zetterberg - Brunner
Filppula - Datsyuk - Tatar
Miller - Abdelkater - Eaves
Tootoo - Emmerton - Cleary

Why?????:cry:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think I finally give up on Babcock. How he can put two guys who have combined for 1 goal and 1 assist through 26 games beside Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg is absolutely mind boggling. This is not a good product to ice, plain and simple.

Babcock has two skilled guys in Tatar, who has as many points as Cleary and Abby do in 5 games rather than 26, and Nyqvist, who is a PPG in the AHL.

This need for size for players playing alongside Dats and Z is a some sort of weird idea Babcock, and other people have thought up, which i just DO NOT understand. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are such good players that they create space on their own for their linemates without the NEED FOR SIZE. That`s what big guys do, they create space and make it harder for the opposition. That is exactly what Datsyuk and Zetterberg do because they are EXTREMELY skilled, which is something all skilled players do!

You gotta score goals to win the game, why is that so hard to understand? Instead of getting offensively skilled guys to play with the Wings best players, Babcock puts perhaps the teams LEAST offensive players. Because they're BIG! They aren't EVEN that big!!!!:madfire:

I'm so mad, so pissed off right now at seeing that line up.

Nyqvist - Zetterberg - Brunner
Filppula - Datsyuk - Tatar
Miller - Abdelkater - Eaves
Tootoo - Emmerton - Cleary

Why?????:cry:

Completely agree.
I do not understand the size arguement especially because Franz/Bert don't make space with their "size" anyway. Lets face it... we draft small skilled players. We play a skilled game. We are not SJ or Boston. They take penalties, we are supposed to score on them. That is the deterent to play us "too rough". It is supposed to cost you the game against the red wings. Play to our skill set, not the opponents. Most other teams do not even have a Nyquist or Tatar.. so they do what they can, Play big guys, and try to shut down skilled players with hitting and muscling. We do not have to play that way. We draft a different kind of player.

Stop thinking inside the box Babcock. Think outside the box. Skill beats Size is the answer. Size injures small skill guys is Don Cherry style (Boston style) hockey. Now sometimes that is true... but farking take the risk. This is a bad choice.

I can see the reason for Cleary. He used to be good. It will take time to realize he no longer belongs in the top 6... But Abdelkader? Common, he NEVER belonged in the top 6. Put Tatar up there if you do not want to call up Nyq fine. But Tatar deserves to be there. You have him on the team now... just do it you stubborn basturd!

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
It's a good thing Holland did sign all these vets. Who's to say if he didn't that half the lineup would be comprised of the Grand Rapids Griffins by now? Heck, we're already close to calling up a fourth member of the Griffins now.

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
We would be BETTER OFF with 1/2 of the team being Griffins instead of useless heaps of formerly good players like Cleary, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, etc.

Tatar earned his spot, Lashoff earned his spot, Nyquist has his spot that he should be entitled to him being kept from him, Andersson has played well enough - though I'd rather see Sheahan playing in his spot.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
We would be BETTER OFF with 1/2 of the team being Griffins instead of useless heaps of formerly good players like Cleary, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, etc.

Tatar earned his spot, Lashoff earned his spot, Nyquist has his spot that he should be entitled to him being kept from him, Andersson has played well enough - though I'd rather see Sheahan playing in his spot.

At this point of the season, we're gunning for the fourth seed. A pack of 20 year olds, I doubt, would make that much of a difference. Their inexperience, I'd wager, would probably hinder our chances at home ice advantage. At this point, the only consensus NHL ready prospect in the AHL is Nyquist.

Aug 6, 2012
It's a good thing Holland did sign all these vets. Who's to say if he didn't that half the lineup would be comprised of the Grand Rapids Griffins by now? Heck, we're already close to calling up a fourth member of the Griffins now.

Of the veteran forwards KH has (re)signed, two of the three are injured.

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Filppula
Tatar - Zetterberg - Brunner
Abby - Andersson - Tootoo
Miller - Emmerton - Eaves

Tatar is the perfect player to put alongside Hank and the Nose. That line is missing a good defensively responsible forechecking winger to make up for Brunner. If Nyquist can't crack the top-six by now in KH's eyes , then he probably never will; the kids 24. I don't want Abby at center, Andersson has done just fine and should stay until Helm is back. No Cleary please.

Is it just me, or is improving our current lineup really easy? I know I'm not qualified to be a GM/coach, but it perplexes me how complicated Babcock is making the lineup and KH is making the roster. It took me about 5 minutes to make a forward lineup that looks a lot better than the one we rolled out two nights ago, on paper at least.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Of the veteran forwards KH has (re)signed, two of the three are injured.

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Filppula
Tatar - Zetterberg - Brunner
Abby - Andersson - Tootoo
Miller - Emmerton - Eaves

Tatar is the perfect player to put alongside Hank and the Nose. That line is missing a good defensively responsible forechecking winger to make up for Brunner. If Nyquist can't crack the top-six by now in KH's eyes , then he probably never will; the kids 24. I don't want Abby at center, Andersson has done just fine and should stay until Helm is back. No Cleary please.

Is it just me, or is improving our current lineup really easy? I know I'm not qualified to be a GM/coach, but it perplexes me how complicated Babcock is making the lineup and KH is making the roster. It took me about 5 minutes to make a forward lineup that looks a lot better than the one we rolled out two nights ago, on paper at least.

Like those lines. But really don't like what I see from Andersson thus far. He looks to be a borderline NHL player. I'd rather Emmerton center that third line.

Aug 6, 2012
Like those lines. But really don't like what I see from Andersson thus far. He looks to be a borderline NHL player. I'd rather Emmerton center that third line.

Yeah that's perfectly fine with me just don't want Abby at center where he's useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->