Line Combos: What to do if Mule and Bert are out for a few games?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We know that Babs wants a big body on the scoring lines, which is why Abby and Cleary were out there last night. This clearly is not a long-term solution so what would you want to do if Mule and Bert are out for multiple games?

Right now the roster is a mess with guys on IR and guys coming back into the lineup. So this scenario is based on putting both Bert and Mule on IR. With a hip flexor I honestly have no idea how long that will sideline Mule. This is just something to speculate on and pass the time until our next game.

I'd call up Riley Sheahan and put him on a scoring line. Do something like:

Filppula-Datsyuk-Sheahan
Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Brunner
Cleary-Emmerton-Tatar
Miller-Andersson-Tootoo
Eaves

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
34855513.jpg

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Quick question for the guys who watch the Griffins. Is Trevor Parkes halfway decent? I see he's got good size and a solid plus/minus. However he's only played like 30 games. Was he injured or a healthy scratch? I don't think he'd warrant a call up but in looking at the guys who have some size down in Grand Rapids he definitely fits the bill.

CloneHakanPlease*

If you're Ken Holland you're probably calling Martin Lapointe right now

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Samuelsson practiced with the top6 today and if healthy before them will guaranteed take one of the spots. Nyquist gets called up once there's a roster spot available(IR), right now they're up against the active limit.

Quick question for the guys who watch the Griffins. Is Trevor Parkes halfway decent? I see he's got good size and a solid plus/minus. However he's only played like 30 games. Was he injured or a healthy scratch? I don't think he'd warrant a call up but in looking at the guys who have some size down in Grand Rapids he definitely fits the bill.

Healthy scratch. He has a lot of tools, but no hockey sense. You call up Sheahan, Ferraro or Callahan anyday over him.

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
The Mule is out Friday too but a hip flexor shouldn't take more than a week of rest assuming its a strain so I would guess he would be back by Sunday. Friday is going to be rough again especially if they put career 3rd/4th liner on the first line again. I would put Tatar up there personally.

On a side note. I have a hip injury and am going on 5 months of rehab. I still run and play sports but it can be painful. I am guessing his injury isn't that bad or he would be IR'd already.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Sammy I would not mind compared to Abby/Cleary in the top6.

Prefer Nyquist though. Look what Tatar has done with his measly minutes when given a few games to string together. The kids need to relax, like they don't have only two shifts to prove they belong. Then they're not holding their sticks too tightly and forcing bad stuff. They can gel with their linemates.

And frankly at this point, what is there to lose? Are we really losing anything by replacing Cleary/Abby with Nyquist? C'mon.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
We know that Babs wants a big body on the scoring lines, which is why Abby and Cleary were out there last night. This clearly is not a long-term solution so what would you want to do if Mule and Bert are out for multiple games?

Right now the roster is a mess with guys on IR and guys coming back into the lineup. So this scenario is based on putting both Bert and Mule on IR. With a hip flexor I honestly have no idea how long that will sideline Mule. This is just something to speculate on and pass the time until our next game.

I'd call up Riley Sheahan and put him on a scoring line. Do something like:

Filppula-Datsyuk-Sheahan
Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Brunner
Cleary-Emmerton-Tatar
Miller-Andersson-Tootoo
Eaves

I went to the game last night and was really intrigued by watching Abs play with Z and Brunner. They played hard the entire night, and IMO was the only line that generated offense each time they were on the ice. Abs cleared up the NZ and had speed to compliment Z and Brunner. He would dig in the corners for them, and IMO wouldnt mind seeing him play on this line more often.

Cleary is beginning to earn his one way ticket out of here. He has ZERO confidence in himself, cant hit the net from 15 feet, and lacks any skill what so ever to play on the PP..

Abs is okay in my book playin w Z and Brunnnnnna

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
Well lets not panic. I think we need to keep Tartar as our 3rd line Jiri hudler esc weapon. He also has shown some chemistry with Abdelkader or Miller.

Pre Samuelsson:
Datsyuk Filppula Cleary
Zetterberg Brunner Abdelkader
Tartar Andersson Miller
Tootoo Emmerton Eaves

( i would consider flopping Andersson and Emmerton and Eaves and Cleary but left them for chemistry reasons). Emmerton is good with Tootoo and Anderson with Tartar.

Post Samuelson
Datsyuk Filppula Cleary
Zetterberg Brunner Samuelsson
Tartar Abdelkader Miller (Miller and Abs can switch off with defensive responsibilities)
Tootoo Emmerton Eaves

I think thats actually pretty good. I do not love Cleary on the top line but hes fine there.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
See, it's a joking meme, but for Babcock it's serious.

That turns the joke into a nightmare.

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012
What Kenny and Babs should do: give the kids some legit top-six minutes.

What they will do: give more ice time and more PP time to Abby and Danny C.

solo16

Nov 22, 2007
CT
You serious? Have you been watching the games? I got it. You must be listening to the Pierre McGuire podcast.

I think Cleary is the slowest player on the team and for the most part useless. I do not think he is a liability out there though. He blows a few plays here and there but I feel more comfortable with him on the ice than say Emmerton when it comes to the defensive side of things.

So what if he kills the play a few times going forward. He crashes the net an equal amount to be worth it. I just do not think its the biggest problem with this team. With Cleary you get a somewhat reliable winger for Datsyuk and Filppula (that is not as good as Brunner/Franzen/Samuelsson/Bertuzzi). I do not see Tartar as being clearly better. They bring different things to the ice. Can you say that a shooter would be better for those two rather than a grinder? I am not sure I can. Both dats and Filp can shoot when forced to do so. The net crashing at least gives them some room.

I however love having a shooting threat in our bottom six so I leave Tartar there. Adding Nyquist would ensure we have three similar players on the same line. Is that the recipe for success? Unknown.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I think Cleary is the slowest player on the team and for the most part useless. I do not think he is a liability out there though. He blows a few plays here and there but I feel more comfortable with him on the ice than say Emmerton when it comes to the defensive side of things.

So what if he kills the play a few times going forward. He crashes the net an equal amount to be worth it. I just do not think its the biggest problem with this team. With Cleary you get a somewhat reliable winger for Datsyuk and Filppula (that is not as good as Brunner/Franzen/Samuelsson/Bertuzzi). I do not see Tartar as being clearly better. They bring different things to the ice. Can you say that a shooter would be better for those two rather than a grinder? I am not sure I can. Both dats and Filp can shoot when forced to do so. The net crashing at least gives them some room.

I however love having a shooting threat in our bottom six so I leave Tartar there. Adding Nyquist would ensure we have three similar players on the same line. Is that the recipe for success? Unknown.

:laugh::laugh: Your opening line is awesome, so to see your post take a sharp left turn and support Cleary in the top 6 caught me off-guard as much as finding out Bruce Willis was actually dead the whole time in The Sixth Sense (and ftr, I don't believe that nearly as many people figured that one out early in the movie as they claim to).

Cleary can crash the net, but he's crashed the penalty box more regularly this season. Tatar brings some speed, a willingness to shoot and puck skills (on full display during his goal last night) that Cleary can't. Flip is back to passing up golden shot opportunities so I think Datsyuk needs someone to shoot on his line. Cleary can't get to the right spots on the ice to take advantage of the plays D creates.

And your last line- I agree that adding Nyquist is a bit of an unknown. But when the known, which is Cleary in the top 6, obviously sucks the life out of that line, I'd be willing to roll the dice. Gus has proven himself to be a scorer and playmaker in the AHL, so I don't even think it's that large of a gamble.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
:laugh::laugh: Your opening line is awesome, so to see your post take a sharp left turn and support Cleary in the top 6 caught me off-guard as much as finding out Bruce Willis was actually dead the whole time in The Sixth Sense (and ftr, I don't believe that nearly as many people figured that one out early in the movie as they claim to).

Spoiler alert!!...geez
:sarcasm:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Darth Vadar is Luke Skywalker's father.

:laugh: Just read Dolph's post and was thinking about that Simpsons episode where there's a flashback to Homer and Marge dating, and as they are coming out of the theater after seeing Empire Strikes Back and in front of the line of people waiting to get in, Homer drops "Who would have known that Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father?" Fantastic!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad