What time does day 2 of the draft start?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Pat Hickey in today's Gazette wrote that is indeed the case today. I thought I read somewhere rounds 4-7 were on the Sunday, but I am not complaining. :)

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Jag68Sid87 said:
As far as I know, there is no Day 2 this year. 7 rounds, beginning at 6 pm EDT on June 24 from Vancouver.
How in the hell are they supposed to have 7 rounds when the draft starts at 3pm?

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Jovofan said:
How in the hell are they supposed to have 7 rounds when the draft starts at 3pm?

Well, it's in Vancouver, so it starts here in the Pacific Time Zone at noon (3 p.m. Eastern). Still, 7 rounds in one day, starting at noon is still crazy. I would imagine that it's split up somehow.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Jovofan said:

The first round usually takes about 2-2 1/2 hour. Each round after takes less then 1 hour. You figure when all is said and done the draft will be over about 10-11 o'clock PST.

mercury said:
Well, it's in Vancouver, so it starts here in the Pacific Time Zone at noon (3 p.m. Eastern). Still, 7 rounds in one day, starting at noon is still crazy. I would imagine that it's split up somehow.

the draft starts at 6 PM EST/3PM PST

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jovofan said:

Its doable...

round 1 = 240 mins/30 teams = 8 mins per pick.

That brings them to 7pm. After that rounds 2-7 only take about as long as round 1...everything is announced from the mic.

It should be done by 11pm...late, but its better than staying an extra day i think.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
Boy, that's the most fan-unfriendly idea I've ever heard of in my life. East coast fans have to stay up until 4 in the morning to follow their teams' drafts? That's just nuts.

Who's the idiot who came up with that one? It wasn't someone named Bettman by any chance, was it?

A Good Flying Bird*

Wild Thing said:
Boy, that's the most fan-unfriendly idea I've ever heard of in my life. East coast fans have to stay up until 4 in the morning to follow their teams' drafts? That's just nuts.

Who's the idiot who came up with that one? It wasn't someone named Bettman by any chance, was it?

Well, if nobody broadcasts beyond the first round, who cares about fan-unfriendly.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I doubt that even 1% of fans sit around anxiously waiting to hear who their team picked in the 6th and 7th rounds. Given that for those two rounds there's a better than 70% chance that the player never plays one game in the NHL, if you're really interested you're a really hardcore fan.

Or, really bored.

And yes ... since it's on a Saturday, I'll probably be sitting up to see who gets picked so I can do a writeup for the Blues board.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
TinCanCommunications said:
Well, if nobody broadcasts beyond the first round, who cares about fan-unfriendly.

Doesn't The NHL Network broadcast after round 1?

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
For me personally I like it. I'm prepared to stay up until 4 am to monitor the draft. Waking up at 9am isn't nearly as doable for me on a Sunday. I can't wait.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
GoBoltz56 said:
Didn't they do the '05 draft in one day? It's obviously do-able.
You are right. And as has already been pointed out, after the first round things move very quickly. Finishing 7 rounds in a day is not a problem, even starting at the later time 3:00pm local time. No one will be up until 4 AM.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
GoBoltz56 said:
Didn't they do the '05 draft in one day? It's obviously do-able.
Yeah but keep in mind that the '05 draft wasn't a full 7 round one like it usually is so it was easier to finish an entire draft in a day under those circumstances. Plus, it began at 12 noon local time giving them a 6 hour head start on this year's draft.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Jovofan said:
Yeah but keep in mind that the '05 draft wasn't a full 7 round one like it usually is so it was easier to finish an entire draft in a day under those circumstances. Plus, it began at 12 noon local time giving them a 6 hour head start on this year's draft.
It was a 7 round draft. Not sure where you go that. And it begins at 3:00 local time, 6:00 EST.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I posted this about a month ago in another thread here because I got the "only 1 day this year" info from the league office... and thererafter, several other HF posters pointed out to me- rather sharply- that, no, I was wrong- the draft took place over two days with rounds 1-3 on the 2st day and the rest on the 2nd day. :shakehead

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
timlap said:
It was a 7 round draft. Not sure where you go that. And it begins at 3:00 local time, 6:00 EST.
Oops, don't I feel stupid. I totally forgot that it was a full 7 rounds, I guess I just remember them saying that there was a possibility of having a condensed version of the draft due to the lockout. I feel really dumb now, my apologies for my comments before. :innocent:

And yes, I'm aware of the start time for this year, that's why I find it hard to believe that they could fit in a full 7 rounds starting 6 hours later than they did last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the '05 draft and almost every draft prior to it start at 9am Pacific, 12noon Eastern?

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Jovofan said:
. . .
And yes, I'm aware of the start time for this year, that's why I find it hard to believe that they could fit in a full 7 rounds starting 6 hours later than they did last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the '05 draft and almost every draft prior to it start at 9am Pacific, 12noon Eastern?
They have usually started at noon, it's true. Last year was done quite early in the evening, as I recall, so this year it should be done about the same time as your typical evening hockey game would finish, as a rough guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad