What the Jets need to address positionally this off season

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
We need a good 2C who has chemistry with Laine/Ehlers. This pushes Little to 3C and Lowry to 4C, both would be elite in those roles.

PMO might change his mind eventually but ha has stated he much prefers Jack as a winger instead of center. I doubt the coach would ask a vet like Blake to move to 2C permanently.

Here's where I think PMO is dead wrong. I think a center needs "speed" and great playmaking, and skating abilities, and Roslovic is all of that. I'm sure Maurice will change his mind when he reads my post here.;)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Here's where I think PMO is dead wrong. I think a center needs "speed" and great playmaking, and skating abilities, and Roslovic is all of that. I'm sure Maurice will change his mind when he reads my post here.;)
Hoping Mo just plays things close to chest like fake little injury.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Really great post by WPG 99 -and I couldn't agree more. I just don't see why some posters don't see the huge upside in Roslovic :huh:

He really can do it all --and likely he'd score more than Statsny- at least 55-60 points. He's got the whole game--speed, puckhandling, good playmaker, and great scoring hands. I'm convinced he'll be our start 2nd line center next year. I just hope they don't wait to long to insert him, like they did with Connor last year, which I was very opposed to. Same thing happened with Ehlers--all our young guys fit right away.

IMO- Roslovic ia a lot faster than Statsny -- needs a little adjusting time, but he'll catch fire "bigtime." -- I have no doubt !!!

One thing I forgot to touch on(in my first post) is his ability to steal and take pucks away if he can do that like he did in the AHL he’s gonna be even more of a force... Ive seen him have a couple wicked takeaways in the regular season(I remember the nastiest takeaway in agaisnt Minny as he made it look so easy and if he would had scored off of it that would had been a “Ram 1v1” winner without a doubt, the kid knows when to make a move on the puck, attacks so precisely and is so explosive on them). It’s unfortunate he had such a limited viewing in the NHL(both minutes and game wise, or we’d likely see more of this).

Anyways...
Here’s a couple ones I’ve found where he did finish with it...

Jack Roslovic 2A vs Rockford | Nov 28 2017

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Hoping Mo just plays things close to chest like fake little injury.

Doesn’t want other coaches to know Laine has a good Playmaking Center next year... hehehe.

Media: “So where do you think Roslovic will be next season?”

Maurice: - “So the kid doesn’t have an offensive bone in his body”

- “Yep, so Rosies getting moved to the 3rd Pairing Defenceman slot”

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I can see the season starting with

Wheeler/Scheif/Connor
Laine/Little/Ehlers
Perrault/Roslovic/Armia
Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Do you think PoMo is not only really stubborn, but that he is just outright stupid as well?

Apart from just a couple of games ELL never worked, total black hole offensively. And while CSW was great offensively, it was a tire fire defensively.

There were couple of games where Little changed his way of play to match just a little better with Ehlers and Laine, but otherwise that simply did not work.

Reactions: ocdaddy

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Bryan Little is no longer a 2C but Paul Stastny is....................

th

Looking at their 50 last games, that's sadly true. Stastny was great, Little was not. Little was a great 3C, but not 2C.

Given that HFBoards/HFJets are usually having that utterly ridiculous recency bias where you are pretty much as good as your latest game/period/shift, I guess it's quite reasonable and not stupid gif worthy to look at 40-50 last games for these two centers.

We all want to see that bounce back season for Little, but looking at his latest season and the end of his previous season things should be really worrifying for even the most optimistic fans.

I have seen Little playing really great. That was after his comeback from his injury. He was easilly the best Jets center as Scheifele had a bit worse period late mid season 16-17 (like he had also on 17-18). After that I haven't seen too much positive things from him apart from his really great defensive play.

Reactions: Laine Fan

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you think PoMo is not only really stubborn, but that he is just outright stupid as well?

Apart from just a couple of games ELL never worked, total black hole offensively. And while CSW was great offensively, it was a tire fire defensively.

There were couple of games where Little changed his way of play to match just a little better with Ehlers and Laine, but otherwise that simply did not work.
Don't think you are looking at the big picture. It is a team game. As a team the Jets ended the 2017-18 season 2nd in points (114), 2nd GF/GP (3.33), 5th in GA/GP at 2.63, 5th on the PP (23.4%) and 9th on their much maligned PK (81.8%). So as a team they did something right. From the beginning of the season the emphasis was on defense, with the belief with the natural talent they had they would score goals. Maurice matched up accordingly. Lowry's line took tough matchups against top lines to neutralize opponents. Scheifele and Wheeler aren't exactly a tire fire defensively but they do jump up quickly and hunt for offense. They also play a strong cycle game which out of all their young players Connor is most effective.

That left little with Laine and Ehlers. While I agree he limited their offense he was also their defensive conscience. Just take a quick look at takeaways and giveaways. Little was at the top end of the spectrum for forwards and Ehlers and Laine were at the bottom end. That isn't counting missed passes and playing defense by waving your stick instead of moving your feet. A defensive 1st center will help prevent a lot of goals over a center like Scheifele who leads the rush and hunts offense. I think Laine will eventually play with Scheifele, but he will need to mature as a player. More speed to move the puck, less giveaways, stronger on the boards and in the corners.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Looking at their 50 last games, that's sadly true. Stastny was great, Little was not. Little was a great 3C, but not 2C.

Given that HFBoards/HFJets are usually having that utterly ridiculous recency bias where you are pretty much as good as your latest game/period/shift, I guess it's quite reasonable and not stupid gif worthy to look at 40-50 last games for these two centers.

We all want to see that bounce back season for Little, but looking at his latest season and the end of his previous season things should be really worrifying for even the most optimistic fans.

I have seen Little playing really great. That was after his comeback from his injury. He was easilly the best Jets center as Scheifele had a bit worse period late mid season 16-17 (like he had also on 17-18). After that I haven't seen too much positive things from him apart from his really great defensive play.

Insults HFJets for recency bias, then uses recency bias.

th

Reactions: Robinson2187

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Insults HFJets for recency bias, then uses recency bias.

th

"Insults" use of recency bias of last game/period/shift, uses "recency bias" of last season/50 games. I am sure you can see the difference if you try hard.

Irony not seen here.

If you want to predict what will happen next season, looking at this season is wise, but their last game/period/shift do not matter that much, if it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Would Wheeler return a 1st pairing defenseman? If so you trade Trouba to Florida for Trocheck who would make a great 2c and is signed to a great contract. Trouba might be willing to give Florida a better contract than he would the Jets. I don't know if Florida would agree to that trade but I think it is close. Then you trade Wheeler, whose value has never been higher, for a young 1st paring defenseman although I think Chevy would have a hard time trading Wheeler.
The Panthers wouldn't do that deal

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Would Wheeler return a 1st pairing defenseman? If so you trade Trouba to Florida for Trocheck who would make a great 2c and is signed to a great contract. Trouba might be willing to give Florida a better contract than he would the Jets. I don't know if Florida would agree to that trade but I think it is close. Then you trade Wheeler, whose value has never been higher, for a young 1st paring defenseman although I think Chevy would have a hard time trading Wheeler.

That would be a interesting option. That or just trade Wheeler for a younger 2C with term and sign Trouba long term.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
That would be a interesting option. That or just trade Wheeler for a younger 2C with term and sign Trouba long term.

Actually a very business based decision -

We need a 2nd C and are loaded with high talent wingers and if we are indeed a build and develop team, it would make sense that we part ways with those that are getting a little long in the tooth and expensive at the same time.

Kind of makes you wonder - why consider moving Wheeler to C on the 2nd line where he would likely be an average 2nd C? Why not just trade him as a top shelf winger for a very good 2nd C?

Anyone neutral looking at this from the outside would likely consider this an obvious option.
But, as posted, I doubt this is being considered.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Actually a very business based decision -

We need a 2nd C and are loaded with high talent wingers and if we are indeed a build and develop team, it would make sense that we part ways with those that are getting a little long in the tooth and expensive at the same time.

Kind of makes you wonder - why consider moving Wheeler to C on the 2nd line where he would likely be an average 2nd C? Why not just trade him as a top shelf winger for a very good 2nd C?

Anyone neutral looking at this from the outside would likely consider this an obvious option.
But, as posted, I doubt this is being considered.

Agreed it is a very business like approach that wouldn't sit well with all. But the NHL is a business, at times the jets have been too loyal......but at other times made the right business choice. Of course the obvious question becomes how good of a 2C could Wheeler return with his current contract status and age. Trading Wheeler for a C of equal age & contract status makes no sense, we would have to get a younger guy ideally with term and/or a RFA.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Was just browsing the trade forums, and an Antti Suomela thread popped up. PPG 24 year old C, played with Sami Niku two seasons ago.

Most importantly would be a 1 year ELC as well, so cheaaap.

May be time for Chevy to start dipping his toes into cheap Euro contracts?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The key position the Jet's will have to address this off season is a #2 center ice man. I'd say they'd be looking at one of 4 options --in my opinion :

1) That could come by signing Statsny to a max deal of 2 years--if he'd accept ?? I doubt it, considering his age, he'll want longer term. Also to pay him no more than $ $ 5.5 mil per year.( he'll want more) and could probably get it, on the open market.

2) They could hope Roslovic can hold this spot down, and really come into his own --I like this option--I think he has what it takes, if not--move Little to 2nd line, and Roslo to 3rd line to get him experience. Roslo has speed, great puck handler, and soft scoring hands. I think this guy is going to turn heads.

3) Last option is to trade one of our RH defenseman -- and maybe Perrault for a real good young proven center. I don't like this option that much, because we'd lose a good R D-man when we don't have to, as I believe Roslovic will be the answer. Also I believe our Right side defense is amongst the best in the league-why not leave it that way--that's why we accomplished the record we did --"we're tough to beat." Maybe Aho, Tyler Johnson or RNH may be a good fit- I think Chevy would get it right.

4) They could decide to go with Wheeler at center ice again--like when Scheifle was hurt, and the Jet's record was fairly good when he played center. Somehow, I don't think Maurice likes this though ??

I think the Jet's have to be discussing all 4 of these options, or have already done so --so we'll wait to see what Chevy does ?? So far you can't knock his decisions--he's a very smart hockey man. I'd say one of the best GM's out there. Be very interesting.

Option 1)
One year is the max term Jets could manage to fit Stastny under the cap. Any more would require serious roster surgery - in the order of trading Trouba or Wheeler. No, I'm not kidding - or exaggerating.

Option 2)
I'm skeptical of all the Roslovic at 2C love. He hasn't shown as good as Little in any way yet. Option 2a) might have a chance. That is Roslo at 3C.

Option 3)
If option 3 is the last one, why do you have an option 4? :laugh:
Assuming Trouba is retained we have to move on from Myers within a year anyway so it is not that great a loss. We have the depth to cover 3RD with him gone.

Unfortunately Myers + Perreault do not get us a good, young, proven centre.

We can't afford Tyler Johnson or RNH any more than we can afford Stastny. We would need cap hit going back the other way. That does not include Myers or Perreault since both need to be moved even if we acquire no one. They need to go so that we can sign Wheeler and Laine.

Option 4)
This one has merit. But I think the reality of Wheeler at C was not as good as most here perceived it to be. But with easier matchups it could work.

Option 5)
Certainly the easiest to implement - and probably the best, Little at 2C with either Wheeler on his RW or Connor on his LW. Take your pick.

Despite the perception that he was a bust there he still had decent production for a 2C. He had an off year. Every player has an occasional off year. He may have been playing through an injury at least part of the time. It is not unlikely that he rebounds next year, especially with a change to his wingers. If not, he is still good enough.

The angst over Little at 2C is getting to the point of hilarity.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Option 1)
One year is the max term Jets could manage to fit Stastny under the cap. Any more would require serious roster surgery - in the order of trading Trouba or Wheeler. No, I'm not kidding - or exaggerating.

Option 2)
I'm skeptical of all the Roslovic at 2C love. He hasn't shown as good as Little in any way yet. Option 2a) might have a chance. That is Roslo at 3C.

Option 3)
Assuming Trouba is retained we have to move on from Myers within a year anyway so it is not that great a loss. We have the depth to cover 3RD with him gone.

We can't afford Tyler Johnson or RNH any more than we can afford Stastny. We would need cap hit going back the other way. That does not include Myers or Perreault since both need to be moved even if we acquire no one. They need to go so that we can sign Wheeler and Laine.

Option 4)
This one has merit. But I think the reality of Wheeler at C was not as good as most here perceived it to be. But with easier matchups it could work.

Option 5)
Certainly the easiest to implement - and probably the best, Little at 2C with either Wheeler on his RW or Connor on his LW. Take your pick.

Despite the perception that he was a bust there he still had decent production for a 2C. He had an off year. Every player has an occasional off year. He may have been playing through an injury at least part of the time. It is not unlikely that he rebounds next year, especially with a change to his wingers. If not, he is still good enough.

Good post.

A couple of comments. I don't have tremendous anxiety at #2C, and I agree that it might be related more to line-mates than Little's play per se. He just didn't seem to work very well with Ehlers and Laine, but a shuffle of wingers could help. However, I think the Jets become really dynamic if they can match Little against bottom-6 lines as our #3C. A line with Perreault-Little-Roslovic could be a nightmare matchup for most teams, especially if the Lowry line is doing some heavy lifting against other teams' top lines. In that case, Little's line can feast on lower match-ups.

You are correct that the Jets can't afford an expensive #2C beyond this season. That's why I think they should consider making the move for a C that has an expiring contract, or perhaps one with a multi-year deal that is moveable after this season. For example, nabbing Brassard or Duchene for just this season would give the Jets a killer line-up as they make another run for the Cup. Acquiring a C like RNH would allow them to use him for next season, and then trade him (perhaps for a similar or higher value) after next season, when the cap crunch really hits.

The bottom line is that the Jets are a true cup contender, and I think they will need to make moves to make the line-up for the coming season as strong as possible, without giving up too much in futures. The notion that they will trade players for futures doesn't seem compatible with the decision to trade for Stastny last TDL.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Option 1)

Option 2)

Option 3)

Option 4)

Option 5)

I know you keep making the point Little > Roslo because A) little was never in the A. Yes but the team he started his career with wasn't a contender so as strong in all positions as Jets. His years before professional hockey he did not score as much, which could be attributed to the strength of teams they played for as well as ice time. When I see Roslo I see a good fast young player who is great on forechck strong in his own zone and a real play maker in terms of vision and creativity. If Little was injured last season wouldn't something have already come out in the media?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good post.

A couple of comments. I don't have tremendous anxiety at #2C, and I agree that it might be related more to line-mates than Little's play per se. He just didn't seem to work very well with Ehlers and Laine, but a shuffle of wingers could help. However, I think the Jets become really dynamic if they can match Little against bottom-6 lines as our #3C. A line with Perreault-Little-Roslovic could be a nightmare matchup for most teams, especially if the Lowry line is doing some heavy lifting against other teams' top lines. In that case, Little's line can feast on lower match-ups.

You are correct that the Jets can't afford an expensive #2C beyond this season. That's why I think they should consider making the move for a C that has an expiring contract, or perhaps one with a multi-year deal that is moveable after this season. For example, nabbing Brassard or Duchene for just this season would give the Jets a killer line-up as they make another run for the Cup. Acquiring a C like RNH would allow them to use him for next season, and then trade him (perhaps for a similar or higher value) after next season, when the cap crunch really hits.

The bottom line is that the Jets are a true cup contender, and I think they will need to make moves to make the line-up for the coming season as strong as possible, without giving up too much in futures. The notion that they will trade players for futures doesn't seem compatible with the decision to trade for Stastny last TDL.

I've seen you make that suggestion before and I like it. Instead of an expensive rental get one whose cost can be largely recovered after 1 year.

It has the additional advantage of flexibility. If circumstances change and we gain some cap room we would have the option of keeping him. That may appear unlikely now but things have a way of changing. If he remains unaffordable then fine, carry through with moving him after we win the cup. :thumbu:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

usually agree with most of your stuff G but I don't think Roslo is ready for anything close to 2C, guy had a hard time getting into the lineup when everyone was healthy, I like Rolso but don't think he makes the starting lineup as a C just yet! He does have more potential than guys like Copp who everyone here and Mo seem so enamoured with despite having just about no hockey IQ or skills!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
usually agree with most of your stuff G but I don't think Roslo is ready for anything close to 2C, guy had a hard time getting into the lineup when everyone was healthy, I like Rolso but don't think he makes the starting lineup as a C just yet! He does have more potential than guys like Copp who everyone here and Mo seem so enamoured with despite having just about no hockey IQ or skills!
What I like about Copp is that despite having no hockey IQ or skills, he still 4th among Jets regular forwards in relCF% and relxGF%. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know you keep making the point Little > Roslo because A) little was never in the A. Yes but the team he started his career with wasn't a contender so as strong in all positions as Jets. His years before professional hockey he did not score as much, which could be attributed to the strength of teams they played for as well as ice time. When I see Roslo I see a good fast young player who is great on forechck strong in his own zone and a real play maker in terms of vision and creativity. If Little was injured last season wouldn't something have already come out in the media?

To the bolded - no, why do you think that? Sometimes stuff comes out eventually, but with the Jets, with Winnipeg media? Not necessarily, not reliably.

Yes, Roslovic is all of those things. But you can't find any year in which he matched Little's performance at the same stage of their careers. Not one. This year, Little's 'horrible' year he scored .52 ppg in the NHL. Roslovic scored .45 ppg. It is probably closer in P/60 but I don't have that data handy.

There is no evidence to support the idea that Roslo would perform better than Little right now. We don't even know that he can make it as a C in the NHL yet. What he did last year was show that he is good enough for 3RW so far. Not 2RW, 3RW. Maybe he can be 3C and after he shows he can handle that we will see if he can handle 2C.

You seem to think I am saying he can't. That is not correct. I'm saying that as of the last game they played he is not better than Bryan Little. He may be in the future. Maybe even as soon as next season but I think he needs another year. I think he needs to become an NHL C first. Then he might be ready to push Little down - but not until he actually outdoes Little at something.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
To the bolded - no, why do you think that? Sometimes stuff comes out eventually, but with the Jets, with Winnipeg media? Not necessarily, not reliably.

Yes, Roslovic is all of those things. But you can't find any year in which he matched Little's performance at the same stage of their careers. Not one. This year, Little's 'horrible' year he scored .52 ppg in the NHL. Roslovic scored .45 ppg. It is probably closer in P/60 but I don't have that data handy.

There is no evidence to support the idea that Roslo would perform better than Little right now. We don't even know that he can make it as a C in the NHL yet. What he did last year was show that he is good enough for 3RW so far. Not 2RW, 3RW. Maybe he can be 3C and after he shows he can handle that we will see if he can handle 2C.

You seem to think I am saying he can't. That is not correct. I'm saying that as of the last game they played he is not better than Bryan Little. He may be in the future. Maybe even as soon as next season but I think he needs another year. I think he needs to become an NHL C first. Then he might be ready to push Little down - but not until he actually outdoes Little at something.
And I am saying that you are right, but, stats such as .52 ppg relies on more than just player capability. I am saying ppg relies on usage, linemates and teammates. Little still had pp time, while Roslo did not. Every year that Little has been in the NHL he has been a first or second line player. That means more minutes and better linemates. On better teams your numbers may improve or be worse. When was the last time a rookie of the year finalist was on a playoff contender? Do you think Barzal would have had as many opportunities behind most Tavares and Schiefle?
The Jets last year were better than any Thrasher team so Roslo had fewer opportunities than Little when Little entered the league. Does that tell you who is better or worse, I would argue that it does not.
I am hoping it does not. Because Little is slowly going downhill. If Roslo can be anywhere in the same league as little was, it would be an extremely positive thing.
3rw is harder to crack right now than most teams 2rw because of Ehlers and Connor does that mean our 3rw is worse, no it just means that its harder to get the opportunity.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And I am saying that you are right, but, stats such as .52 ppg relies on more than just player capability. I am saying ppg relies on usage, linemates and teammates. Little still had pp time, while Roslo did not. Every year that Little has been in the NHL he has been a first or second line player. That means more minutes and better linemates. On better teams your numbers may improve or be worse. When was the last time a rookie of the year finalist was on a playoff contender? Do you think Barzal would have had as many opportunities behind most Tavares and Schiefle?
The Jets last year were better than any Thrasher team so Roslo had fewer opportunities than Little when Little entered the league. Does that tell you who is better or worse, I would argue that it does not.
I am hoping it does not. Because Little is slowly going downhill. If Roslo can be anywhere in the same league as little was, it would be an extremely positive thing.
3rw is harder to crack right now than most teams 2rw because of Ehlers and Connor does that mean our 3rw is worse, no it just means that its harder to get the opportunity.

I get your point - but it means that Roslovic has had to have received significantly less opportunity since he was about 14YO. If he was that good he would get the opportunity.

How have you concluded that Little is slowly going downhill? One (slightly) off season? Come on, give the guy a break!

Ehlers and Connor are both LW's :laugh:. But Rosie would still have had to leap over either Wheeler or Laine to get to 2RW. But even at 3RW, he didn't exactly hit it out of the park. He showed that he was capable at that level - not elite at that level.

I think he has a decent chance of becoming a good 2C at some point. But not yet. He has to get to be better than Little first. So far, he has not.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I get your point - but it means that Roslovic has had to have received significantly less opportunity since he was about 14YO. If he was that good he would get the opportunity.

How have you concluded that Little is slowly going downhill? One (slightly) off season? Come on, give the guy a break!

Ehlers and Connor are both LW's :laugh:. But Rosie would still have had to leap over either Wheeler or Laine to get to 2RW. But even at 3RW, he didn't exactly hit it out of the park. He showed that he was capable at that level - not elite at that level.

I think he has a decent chance of becoming a good 2C at some point. But not yet. He has to get to be better than Little first. So far, he has not.

Yup but Little peaked as good 2 way 1C. I think most expect Roslovic to be a good two way 2C. I think that would explain the difference in how their early trajectory, Little topped out as a 1C, I don't believe anyone expects Roslovic to do the same.

I also don't expect Jack to take Little's spot next season or even the one after but we need to start playing him as a C so that he will be able to take over in a few years. I hope Moe changes his mind for next season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Okay, here's another thought for our 2C.

Re-sign Stastny, but give him a front-loaded, longer-term contract that is easy to move after the first season. The Jets might have to consider retaining salary if the move him after next season, but that might be enough to make him attractive to a younger team that has no cap issues.

Here's an example:

Year 1: $7.00M (age 32)
Year 2: $4.55M (age 33)
Year 3: $4.55M (age 34)
Year 4: $4.55M (age 35)
Year 5: $4.35M (age 36)

Total contract: 5 years and $25M
AAV: $5M
Cap hit: $5M per year

After year 1, the Jets trade him and retain around 750k of his salary, and he becomes a $3.5-3.7M C for the final 4 years of his contract. I would see him as a valuable commodity on the trade market for a team with internal salary limits, but no issues with the salary cap.

Stastny gets another shot at the Cup, and then can play out his career until he' 37 years old with a decent salary that takes his career earnings up to close to $90M.

Jets get their #2C for next season, and a tradeable asset for the following season when the real cap crunch hits. If he has a really good season, the Jets might not even have to retain any salary after next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->