What teams will target a goalie in round #1?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I believe STL has multiple picks and so does WASH in round one --it is inevitable they will take a goalie with a later pick after their initial selections of round one--in
STL 's case they may use the 1st pick of round two instead of a secondary one of round one to take a goalie...So I assume Bernier and Helenius will be off the board as the first two goalies taken in round one --or if only one goalie is taken in round one,then by the 1st pick of round two...does anyone think another team will target
a goalie in round one so that at least 3 goalies are off the board by the #32 pick?
I doubt PItt will take a goalie at #32 with Fleury in nets --I think their need is wingers...so If I'm correct then at #33 ,CHI is facing maybe only the 3rd or 4th best goalie iF they decide to grab one in that spot...

Juni

Mar 24, 2004
London, England
www.thechels.net
Ottawa, Tampa, Calgary, Anaheim, LA, Colorado could all target goalies to help them in the medium to long term, everyone else (as far as I can see) are set now and have prospects ready to step in 2+ years from now.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
habsfan15 said:
St.Louis already has Schwarz, Sanford and Bacashihua. Doubt they'll target another goalie.

and Barulin & Beckford-Tseu & Ben Bishop

The Blues WILL NOT be drafting a goalie unless it's in the very late rounds and there is a steal to be had.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Coyotes are thin at goalie with only LeNeveu. Pelletier is intriguing but this year was ruined by injury. Very few fans want their team to draft a goalie but I guess Phoenix are statistically one of the likliest ones. I dont think they will as a need for a top offensive talent is a more urgent issue.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Plenty of discussion of Buffalo taking a goalie in the first two rounds. With the length of goaltender development being what it is and their lack highend netminders in their pipeline, they're going to be looking.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
This is, IMO, one of the worst years (on paper) for goalies in the draft. There is a slight chance that not one goalie goes in the top 30....Bernier might but it would be to a team like Detroit or Carolina or someone near the bottom of the first round.

I would be very surprised to see a goalie picked in the top 20.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Peter says there is a slight chance no goalies will go in round one --maybe Bernier he says late in round one--but I disagree:

ISS now ranks Helenius as the top goalie at #15 overall -it is now very realistic to assume that both he and Bernier will go in round one --I forgot about Schwarz in STL--so posters are right--they won't target a goalie in round one--but they are also right in that ColoradoTampa Bay, and Ottawa might...if a team targeting a goalie feels that the third,fourth or fifth guy on their list after Helenius and Bernier won't be there when they draft again in round two--then it is possible 3-4 goalies
could go in round one..WASH has multiple picks and I'm sure one of them after their first pick will be a goalie...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
IMO Washington (highly probable) and Tampa Bay will be the only two teams that might target a goaltender in the first round.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Chainshot said:
Plenty of discussion of Buffalo taking a goalie in the first two rounds. With the length of goaltender development being what it is and their lack highend netminders in their pipeline, they're going to be looking.

I'd like to see Buffalo take a look at Joe Palmer or Billy Sauer in the second round.

iamcaper

Don't know off hand if they have a 1st rounder but NJ should be looking for help down the road.

Given that some teams, ala NJ, usually draft the best player available, it's highly possible that both Helenius and Bernier will be gone when the #31 pick rolls around.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Juni said:
Ottawa, Tampa, Calgary, Anaheim, LA, Colorado could all target goalies to help them in the medium to long term, everyone else (as far as I can see) are set now and have prospects ready to step in 2+ years from now.
COL wont. We have Budaj who is good and Theo is here for the next 2 years. There aint that good of a goalie in this draft that is worth picking in the top 15.

The Avs will take a D (I think).

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
hawksfan50 said:
I believe STL has multiple picks and so does WASH in round one --it is inevitable they will take a goalie with a later pick after their initial selections of round one--in
STL 's case they may use the 1st pick of round two instead of a secondary one of round one to take a goalie...So I assume Bernier and Helenius will be off the board as the first two goalies taken in round one --or if only one goalie is taken in round one,then by the 1st pick of round two...does anyone think another team will target
a goalie in round one so that at least 3 goalies are off the board by the #32 pick?
I doubt PItt will take a goalie at #32 with Fleury in nets --I think their need is wingers...so If I'm correct then at #33 ,CHI is facing maybe only the 3rd or 4th best goalie iF they decide to grab one in that spot...

St.Louis doesn`t have to take a goaltender. They have good prospects in that position.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
IMO Washington (highly probable) and Tampa Bay will be the only two teams that might target a goaltender in the first round.

Why Tampa, they already have Koshechkin, more proven and much closer to stepping into the NHL than anyone they could draft... :confused:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
I've asked this before and Philly fans say no, but why don't Philly draft a goalie. I mean its been a supposed problem for them for awhile, i don't know what they have in the pipeline but they don't have any wellknown goalie prospects.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Slitty said:
Why Tampa, they already have Koshechkin, more proven and much closer to stepping into the NHL than anyone they could draft... :confused:

I still question the goaltender depth in their organization.

Bryzga lol*

Rabid Ranger said:

I fully agree with that. Both teams are in desperate need of a prospect. Almost every other NHL has a decent prospect as a backup or in the minors (or juniors), Washington and TB don't seem to have anyone ready within the next 5 years to gear up for the NHL.

With the big names Washington is getting (Ovechkin, Semin, Fehr, their 4th overall pick: Kessel? Backstrom?) they need solid goaltending to even be considered a contender, and it looks like Kolzig will retire within 5 years. I'd try to grab Bernier with my late first round pick, or try to trade up to get him.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Lots of teams will need goaltending, however a goalie you pick in the first round this year may be no different than a goalie you choose in the 4th round.

That said, Bernier, Irving, and Helenius will all go in the top 50. Teams that will probably take them are Washington, Calgary, Tampa Bay, Anaheim, and Colorado will all probably target goalies with their early picks.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
However--Tampa Bay just signed 3 goalie--Holmqvist,Noreena and Ramo --so I don't think its a prority now in round one for them...

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The Caps might be looking to get one with the late first (or one of their many other picks)... But I don't know that it is an end all need.

If the player is there, or the price to move up isn't an arm and a leg and their first born, then they probably would think about taking one.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
hawksfan50 said:
However--Tampa Bay just signed 3 goalie--Holmqvist,Noreena and Ramo --so I don't think its a prority now in round one for them...

Thing is, a goalie drafted now, is likely to not be in the organization for 2 years.

Me, I'd take a goalie in the first two rounds once every three years. And as such, any team that hasn't taken a goalie in the first two rounds in the past two drafts, should take one here. Unless a late round goalie is developping exceptionally well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad